Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking for a complete exhaust system including dp and tp. i hear for the price and quality that megan racing is tough to beat. and from my research they're prices are pretty damn good and they also look nice (the turbo back w/ burnt tip). does anyone have any experience with them? and if so how is the performance and sound? i have an 03 evo 8.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I think Warrtalon used to run a Megan system before he switched to Buschur. Try asking him about it.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
it's a great exhaust, i'm running a full TBE from tsudo which is the logic performance exhaust. the megan is great from what i hear! Good luck and post up the pics when you get a exhaust!

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Tsudo = LP = Megan = Ebay = Helix, etc etc. All the same pipes with robotic welds made in China.

I had the Megan (actually Megan DP/TP with Logic Perf cat-back, but same thing), and I had no issues with it whatsoever. It was plenty fast as you can see with the times in my sig. It was loud, which I didn't like, but my Buschur TBE is even louder. I also didn't like the 5" tip, but that's really just a cosmetic thing. It fit perfectly, although the DP rested very close to the trans due to not having spacers, but it didn't bother me, and that's only an issue on 05/06s due to the ACD.

One of the downsides to it is that the test pipe is resonated and therefore only 2.5" or so of inner diameter, whereas my BR TBE has a true 3" test pipe. It also is a full 10.0 lbs heavier than my BR TBE, which is significant for an exhaust.

I actually still have my Megan and am trying to sell it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Warrtalon said:
Tsudo = LP = Megan = Ebay = Helix, etc etc. All the same pipes with robotic welds made in China.

I had the Megan (actually Megan DP/TP with Logic Perf cat-back, but same thing), and I had no issues with it whatsoever. It was plenty fast as you can see with the times in my sig. It was loud, which I didn't like, but my Buschur TBE is even louder. I also didn't like the 5" tip, but that's really just a cosmetic thing. It fit perfectly, although the DP rested very close to the trans due to not having spacers, but it didn't bother me, and that's only an issue on 05/06s due to the ACD.

One of the downsides to it is that the test pipe is resonated and therefore only 2.5" or so of inner diameter, whereas my BR TBE has a true 3" test pipe. It also is a full 10.0 lbs heavier than my BR TBE, which is significant for an exhaust.

I actually still have my Megan and am trying to sell it
so would u recommend getting a different 3" tp maybe? and if so it would still fit with the megan dp right? thanks for your reply.
and what is the condition of your dp and tp? how much did u want for it?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I'm only interested in selling the whole exhaust. The condition of the whole thing is just like when new except for the exterior, which is dirty and discolored (not rusted) from all the heat. If you've seen the Megan (or those other identical ones) exhausts when new, they are super shiny, but that goes away in a hurry when they get hot. Same thing happens to Megan tubular manifolds and o2 housings. They turn an ugly mix of brown and blue like smeared water color paintings.

If you want the Megan DP and CBE but with a different TP, then you just need to find a full 3" non-resonated test pipe that is flanged on both ends. I don't have a suggestion on what meets those criteria.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a friend of mine told me that a tp will badly reduce my mpg, is that true? if so how much? or does anyone have any input on exhaust systems and how/if they effect mpg? i run shell v power daily, if that helps any.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
No, that's ridiculous. It has nothing to do with your gas mileage other than making more power and therefore using a LITTLE more fuel, but it's nothing you'd notice.

Why are you worried about gas mileage when getting an exhaust? I'm confused. An exhaust is for making power, and Evos don't get good gas mileage. An exhaust doesn't make it any worse other than making more power than stock.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
jluckyp said:
a friend of mine told me that a tp will badly reduce my mpg, is that true? if so how much? or does anyone have any input on exhaust systems and how/if they effect mpg?
Adding a test pipe or an exhaust will not reduce your MPG. The biggest factor in MPG is your right foot and boost.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Warrtalon said:
No, that's ridiculous. It has nothing to do with your gas mileage other than making more power and therefore using a LITTLE more fuel, but it's nothing you'd notice.

Why are you worried about gas mileage when getting an exhaust? I'm confused. An exhaust is for making power, and Evos don't get good gas mileage. An exhaust doesn't make it any worse other than making more power than stock.
i wasn't really worried about it till my friend brought it up. he was suggesting keepin the cat. converter. i figured u guys would no more, so just wanted to double check and make sure it wouldn't be anything noticeable.
so just to clarify before i buy, i will soon be getting a full tbe. i've been reading a lot of these forums and read something about the O2 sensors, do i need that?? could someone give me some info on that part. thanks for your advice.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Yeah, you don't "need" an o2. You already have two of them, but at Larry said, when you replace the cat with something like a test pipe, the rear o2 will trigger a CEL unless you get some sort of CEL fix. This is just a very minor thing, and all the fixes are very cheap. If you get a BR TBE, it already comes with one screwed into the bung.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you have the megan it wont trip the cel. I am currently running megan Exhaust manifold, DP,and Res. Havnt had any problem and its been 8 months. Like it was stated in the earlier posts my Ex. Manifols doesnt look so new. but power wise I think it is great, and the Exhaust is Not at all Loud. Nice deep tone at idle, and get abit louder when on the gas. definently not like a honda civic type loud.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I got a Megan Racing test pipe and it threw a CEL that stubbornly refused to go away until I had a mechanical fix done, and it never came back since.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
If you have the megan it wont trip the cel. I am currently running megan Exhaust manifold, DP,and Res. Havnt had any problem and its been 8 months. Like it was stated in the earlier posts my Ex. Manifols doesnt look so new. but power wise I think it is great, and the Exhaust is Not at all Loud. Nice deep tone at idle, and get abit louder when on the gas. definently not like a honda civic type loud.

I don't think your experience is normal. What did you mean by Megan manifold, DP, and res? You mean a resonator? What is that? They only make a dp, test pipe, and cat-back in terms of exhaust (after the o-2). The test pipe is a resonated test pipe, but I haven't seen it referred to as a resonator. Is that what you meant? Anyway, you didn't list the cat-back, so maybe that's why it's not loud, but my Megan TBE was VERY LOUD. Maybe we have different definitions of "loud," since it's a subjective term. Also, you should have tripped a CEL almost right away with the test pipe. There is nothing in the Megan TP to keep it from tripping the rear o2 sensor code - it requires a CEL fix.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think your experience is normal. What did you mean by Megan manifold, DP, and res? You mean a resonator? What is that? They only make a dp, test pipe, and cat-back in terms of exhaust (after the o-2). The test pipe is a resonated test pipe, but I haven't seen it referred to as a resonator. Is that what you meant? Anyway, you didn't list the cat-back, so maybe that's why it's not loud, but my Megan TBE was VERY LOUD. Maybe we have different definitions of "loud," since it's a subjective term. Also, you should have tripped a CEL almost right away with the test pipe. There is nothing in the Megan TP to keep it from tripping the rear o2 sensor code - it requires a CEL fix.
No Megan makes all the exhaust parts. (Exhaust Manifold,RES/TP,DP,Catback, turbo outlet) I have the Megan exhaust manifold, yeah the test pipe is what i am refering to. My friend has a TBE and it is really loud. I dont remember which Cat back i have but its not all that lound. On my TP i have a O2 bung right at the end of it, Thats maybe why my cel has not triped, but i did have a cel for a random misfire on all cyl. once i installed my SSQBOV.
My Catback is Invidia

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
No, I know Megan makes a header and o2 - notice I said that I was referring to exhaust parts "after the o2." I was saying they don't sell a resonator, but they do sell a test pipe. The test pipe is RESONATED, yes, and it has a capped bung, but that wouldn't keep you from getting a CEL. Everyone who has a Megan exhaust has that thing, but it doesn't get used. You SHOULD be tripping a CEL unless you have a CEL fix for your rear o2 in the cat-back. Anyway, the cat-back is the most important part in determining sound, so it's not the Megan parts keeping it quiet...it's mainly the Invidia.

·
Registered
41 Posts
yeah i totally understand what your saying, but i have my O2 installed in there and havnt had a cel. Had mine for over 8 months now. No problems.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Whoa, you have your o2 INSIDE THAT BUNG? Holy cow, I've never heard of someone doing that. That's crazy. The rear o2 is supposed to go in the bung in your cat-back. If your rear o2 is actually sticking INTO the test pipe without a CEL fix, then I have no idea how you're not cutting a CEL. That's nuts!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts