Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so what is the peak AWHP seen so far on the stock turbo...Evo VIII and Evo IX...what were the mods and, how much did it cost...looking to see if the Evo im looking at getting(most likley Evo IX) in 2 months can support 300AWHP on the stock turbo...dynos would be spiff...thanks

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
There is no exhact answer. You need to narrow down your question to something not so vague. 400whp is usually the reasonable limit on the stock turbo with all the bolt-ons and stock motor/head. One guy already went 10.5 @ 128 on the stock turbo, but he's not really comparable to anyone else in the country (or world). Another guy has hit 11.2 @ 124, but his highest trap speed is 127, but he's using nitromethane or something. Many people have trapped 118-120mph on the stock turbo with all the bolt-ons, cams, and race gas but no nitrous.

300awhp, thought? That is done overnight with less than $1500 spent on an VIII. On a IX, you get 330-350whp with $1300-1500 spent. Were you really thinking 300whp was a tough goal on the Evo? 300whp is child's play when we start with anywhere from 230-270whp in stock form, depending on the year (03-04 weakest, 05 stronger, 06 strongest). On a IX, you can hit 300whp with completely stock parts and a custom flash (tune). If all you want is 300whp, then that's not even worth discussing - it's peanuts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah that is pretty much all i was looking for...~ 300+AWHP...so i assume that the IX is a little more spendy because of the MIVEC...about how much boost is a 300+ WHP EVO going to push and since ive only driven a stock Evo VIII, about what RPM will it hit full boost on the stock turbo...im used to full boost (~21 psi and 260whp)at 3200rpm so i assume it will take a little getting used to

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
No, it's the IXs were only $500 more (MSRP) than 05 VIIIs.

Again, there's no direct answer to your questions here. WHP is not related to boost. You can make 300whp on 30psi or 300whp on 20psi - it all depends on the mods, octane, tuning, etc etc. You can easily hit 300whp with 21psi on a stock IX with custom tuning on 93oct using a Dynojet near sea level in good weather (hope you see the trend here). Up here in CO at 6000', I only make 300whp at 26psi with cams, intake, header, o2 housing, tbe, mbc, alky injection, mbc, bov, fuel pump, and custom tuning due to the lack of oxygen. So, you need to be much more specific in asking your questions.

A stock VIII does not hit full boost anywhere near 3200rpm. It's more like 3600-3800rpm, but once again, you have to specify the gear. In higher gears, the boost will ramp up sooner due to more load. In lower gears, it will hit full boost later and won't be as high. You also have to determine whether you mean full boost rpm by looking at the tach while trying to drive (not too accurate nor safe), where you hit peak torque on the dyno, or where you hit the highest boost point using a datalogger to log boost vs rpm. So many things make this so much more complicated than the way you ask the questions. Btw, did you say you're used to a stock VIII that somehow ran more than stock boost (21 > 19-20) and put down more than stock power (260whp is way high)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no i was refering to my 1.8T making peak boost at about 3200rpm...you have ansewerd my question in explaining why my question was vauge...so mild supporting mods and ~ 27psi and you have 300awhp...for this your looking at spending ~$1500...am i correct...and you will usally see peak boost at around 3800-4000RPM, depending on your gear and load(yeah i already knew that)...didnt really find out if the MIVEC cars are a little more expensive to tune though...are they harder...and i noticed you said that an Evo IX only needs a flash...how much will a ECU flash run...

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
No no no, hell no. I said 21PSI with almost NO MODS can get you 300whp. 27psi can get you 380-400whp on a IX with all the bolt-ons.. I guess you got everything mixed up in my answer. Look...

Evo IX with _ONLY_ a custom flash and boost at 21psi can hit 300whp. I've already seen 2 IXs do it back when I was in DC, and those guys just had BASE flashes, not even custom flashes. They had MBCs to ensure the boost was up at 21-22psi. It's best to go ahead and do the exhaust at the same time to relieve backpressure. With exhaust, [email protected], and flash, you should be around 330whp on a Dynojet with 93oct. You can get those exact mods + boost gauge for $1270 from Buschur Racing. It's actually a package with my name on it. For $200 more, you can upgrade to a custom flash if you're near a place where Dynoflash is traveling. He's coming to Seattle the weekend of Sep 9/10 in case that helps...

The MIVEC is already figured out by the flash tuners - it's not anymore expensive than tuning an VIII if you go with Dynoflash, but many of the flash tuners only use EcuTek on the IX, which is twice as expensive, since you pay for a license. Some use that on VIIIs, too, so it's not really more expensive to tune - it just depends on the type of tune you choose, and the more expensive EcuTek is no better. In fact, it locks your ECU and precludes you from using EcuFlash, which is free flashing software that we all use now.

I didn't say a IX _only_ needs a flash. I was just illustrating how EASILY a IX can hit 300whp...by only getting a flash. It's best to just get the whole stage 1 set of mods, which I explained above (tbe/mbc/flash). A mail-in flash from Dynoflash is $199, and a 2hr custom road tune is $399 (has to be in person, obviously). This is peanuts for getting 20-40whp/wtq gains...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts