Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the difference between a regular evo 8 and the MR edition? I know you get different rims, the little aero diffuser thing on top of your rear windshield and also a newer shift knob and e-brake handle. Also a 6th gear? correct me if I'm wrong? I also hear you get a better suspension set up. Whats the differences there? What kind of different suspension changes are we talking about. Anything else please post.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
You pretty much named it all. To clarify:

- 6-spd tranny with teflon-coated shifter cables
- Bilstein shocks that offer better performance AND a softer ride
- 17.74lb BBS Forged special edition rims (regular Evo wheels are 20.17/20.50lbs for the VIII/IX)
- Aluminum roof (saves weight over the regular steel roof and lowers center of gravity)
- Vortex generators (fins on rear window)
- MR package (6spd shift knob, CF e-brake handle, MR mats, MR badging)
- Zero lift kit (extra aerodynamics bits only on IX MR)
- HIDs (standard on MR, but only comes on GSR w/SSL - base GSR has halogens)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was there a production number of the rally red? How rare is it? I don't remember seeing a red evo8 MR but I bet I have but don't recall.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Warrtalon said:
Only 1000 05 MRs were sold in the US, and red was no more than 10%, so that's 100 or less. Half (500) were Graphite Grey.

theres speculation that that number might be as low as 40 for RR MR's.

of course theres no factual basis for this. but we know more MR's (and evos for that matter) come (well, stay) in socal. the biggest socal dealer got 2 MR's, when they sold easily 30+ MRs during their 2005 production

and to think i was less than 1 week from getting a red one, then it was gone.....................

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
partymonster975 said:
has anyone swapped the 6-speed tranny into the base line evo?

Yup, a few people have done it.... but none that I know of were making fast enough times in the 1/4 for it to be an improvement for them. It may have helped in road racing though.

For me I am right on the edge of where I am going to have to start shifting to 5th at the top end of the track, so a switch to a 6 speed with it's closer ratios between 4th and 5th than we have in the 5 speed would make sense for drag racing. With 120 mph traps I am crossing the finish line at around 127 and that is darn close to 8,000 RPM in 4th gear.

Currently if I shift at 7800 RPM in 4th I am entering 5th gear at 126.6 mph and aprox 5450 RPM. If I was using the 6 speed out of the MR and shifted at the same 7800 RPM I would enter 5th gear at 117.3 mph at aprox 6150 RPM.... much better for drag racing with a big turbo.

Keith

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Except that people who go really fast in drag racing don't shift to 5th, but instead build the engine/head/tranny so that it will go 140+ in 4th. Having to shift to 5th really kills the run. Unfortunately, I'm forced to do it on every run up here at altitude, since the my power drops off so much earlier than at sea level.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
AMS has reached the point where they will have to start shifting to 5th soon or risk catastrophic engine failure.... but not many people are at that level :) They would probably be better off going to a 4.11 final drive rather than shift into 5th though, unless they do switch to a 6 speed.

Keith

1 - 13 of 13 Posts