Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading about n-tercooler and the possible gains (25-50 hp) does anyone have any first hand knowledge on this?

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Dave Buschur did some testing on it and showed that most if not all of the gain is from the N20 being sucked into the air filter after it goes through the intercooler.

Keith

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know this topic is a little old although im curious to know as to why its bad thing to run nitrous through the intercooler. a buddy of mine has an 03 evo. He set it up where it would squeeze on WOT, made a .2 of a difference in his 1/4 mile time. :thumb: My understanding was its not directly entering the motor just freezing up the intercooler so all of the cold air that enters the motor is cold but without the same tempeture of a direct injection.

Also ive seen a few people on here run alcohol injection. Is that also a bad thing and how does it work?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Alky is not a bad thing. It works by injecting atomized alcohol (or methanol) into the UICP just before the throttlebody. The atomized alky supercools the intake charge and also burns as fuel in the cylinder, which effectively raises the octane to race gas levels. So, you get a cooler intake charge and race gas-like effects 24/7, which allows more aggressive tuning and higher boost.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can you agree with the statement FourDoor made, that a n-tercooler kit is something you should stay away from. I've read a few reviews that believe its a great investment without running a chance of detonation. I recently purchased my MR and its still stock although i want to know what things to really eliminate. Thought id ask since just about everyone on here thinks of you as a goddess:thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I don't agree or disagree, because I have no experience with it and have not seen hardly anyone using it. What I can tell you is that very few Evos use it, specifically the fast ones. I've only ever seen one in person that used it, and I never got any data from him on how well it worked vs how safe it was.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
The ntercooler kit with co2 or n20 will freeze the intercooler, which will cool down the intake charge. The system is not shooting the gas into the motor at all. It is just like a water sprayer but it uses gas to chill the intercooler. This should in no way harm the motor.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
SicLanEvo said:
The ntercooler kit with co2 or n20 will freeze the intercooler, which will cool down the intake charge. The system is not shooting the gas into the motor at all. It is just like a water sprayer but it uses gas to chill the intercooler. This should in no way harm the motor.

If you have the stock sealed air box and snorkle setup, then not much of the gas is ingested by the engine. If you have pretty much any other intake setup, a great portion of the gas used to cool the intercooler passes through the intercooler, through the radiator, into the engin bay right next to the intake air filter.... where do you think it goes from there?

If you are using N2O cooling you get a huge boost in performance.... partly from intercooler chilling, but mostly from unmeasured amounts of N2O gas entering the engine. If you are using CO2 cooling you get a boost in performance from the intercooler cooling, and loose performance due to the CO2 entering the engine pretty much breaking even.

I have no problem with anyone running N2O in their engine, in fact it works well.... but what I object to is the uncontroled nature of the N2O entering the engine.

Keith

·
Registered
44 Posts
I see your point FOURDOOR, makes good sense. Thanks for the reply on this topic. Gives you a definite better understanding of the setup and what you should be careful for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts