Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey whats up everybody...umm i recently bought a evo 2 months ago abd i have already put a stage 1 clutch, ecu flash short ram full exhaust including a cut out but i;m not shure where to go next i planed to get some hard pipes and turbo manifold but after that i really wouldnt know i did want to do some head work like cams and cam gears but what i want is insane lo and mid range power and getting some top end power wouldnt hurt either... so my question is what can i do so i can get up to 400 horses and have insane low and mid range power????

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
If you want 400whp, you will not be able to focus on low-end power as much, because the stock turbo runs out of breath and will need a lot of top-end help. If you want 400wtq and don't mind 370-380whp, then you can make that happen. To get around 380whp/400wtq, you need these mods:

- BR LICP
- Stock ported/coated exhaust manifold
- BR ported/coated 10.5 hotside (turbine housing)
- BR coated SS o2 housing
- Walbro fuel pump
- Forge UNOS MBC
- Forge RS BOV
- GSC 272 cams (don't need cam gears)
- SMC Alcohol Injection kit

Add all that, set the boost at 26-27psi, and get a full custom tune. If you want to spend more money to stay with a stockish turbo but get quicker spool and more torque in the low/mid range, then instead of the 10.5 hotside, get a TME, which is the special turbo that came on the Evo 6.5 TME version. It has a 10.5 hotside and Titanium/Aluminum internals that are much lighter.
-

·
Registered
44 Posts
cams would definetely be a good start. alcohol injection would be also a very likely idea if your looking to hit 400 horses on the stock turbo. Warrtalon recommends the gsc cams. ask him about how they function on his car.

damn Warr you beat me! lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats kool bro thanks alot but is thier anyway u can explain some of the parts u recommended like
BR LICP
Forge UNOS MBC

p.s and do u think i would need a upgraded clutch because i got a stage 1 right now but i dnt know if that would hold the power i want?? and would injecters also help or would that be best sutted for a big turbo upgrade??

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
sho_evo_209 said:
thats kool bro thanks alot but is thier anyway u can explain some of the parts u recommended like
BR LICP
Forge UNOS MBC

p.s and do u think i would need a upgraded clutch because i got a stage 1 right now but i dnt know if that would hold the power i want?? and would injecters also help or would that be best sutted for a big turbo upgrade??
BR = Buschur Racing
LICP = lower intercooler pipe
MBC = manual boost controller
Forge is a manufacturer
UNOS = what you yell out when your down to one card in the game of Uno. ROFL Sorry I don't know what it really means.
Start thinking about some cams.
Don't worry about the clutch. If it holds, it holds. What is the specific manufacturer and torque rating?
Wait on the injectors till you really know which direction your going, and if your serious about the low/midrange a stroked motor might be something to consider.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Larry gave you the acronyms, but honestly, if you haven't seen those before, then you shouldn't be worrying about 400whp right now. Those were both very common and basic turbo car modifications. That is my opinion. You should take it slowly and do some basic mods like getting a stg1 package from Buschur and starting there.

No, you don't need injectors, and UNOS is just a name for the Forge MBC. Your clutch is upgraded in order to hold more power. That's why you got it right?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys that really helped... i just got my hard pipes today and it really helps all i might need now is that fuel pump and the turbine housing thanks alot.....

p.s if i were to stroke out my motor would it be a better i dea to go with the gt35r turbo or would my stock one still guve me that edge??

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
It's pretty useless to do a stroker with the stock turbo. You don't have to do a GT35, but you would want to do something significantly bigger than stock - nothing less than a 50-trim, imo.

Hard pipes? Those weren't on the list and were not needed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
sho_evo_209 said:
thanks guys that really helped... i just got my hard pipes today and it really helps all i might need now is that fuel pump and the turbine housing thanks alot.....

p.s if i were to stroke out my motor would it be a better i dea to go with the gt35r turbo or would my stock one still guve me that edge??

One thing you'll very quickly learn is you have so many choices of aftermarket parts on the internet its crazy. Truth is my friend by hard pipes i'm guessing you mean the upper intercooler piping. You don't need these since the pipes give you really no power other than in the looks department. What i do strongly suggest is learning about how your evo works what performance parts are going to give you the most for your money.

In terms to the stroking of motor, if you stroke it out yes a gt35r turbo would be better than a stock turbo. Question is what do you want the car for. Lastly, not to knock anyone down that reads this post but very few people have a 400awhp evo. That's hella fast. Probably faster than you'd ever want. Take baby steps before you decide to stroke a motor. The Evo is one hell of a platform and you will soon find out that a stroker is probably not the way to go.:)

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I agree that 400whp is amazingly fast, and doing it on the stock turbo means you have 420-430wtq with near instantaneous spool. I wish everyone would at least FEEL that first before spending 6-10k on a big turbo upgrade that makes the car barely usable on the street due to lag and the fact you can't go 30psi to 8000rpm in public very often.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks ya'll that really help and yea what i ment by hard pipes is the lower and upper ic pipping i got them and put them on and it felt great but i also got a turbo inlet pipe too so that might be where i got that extra power but 400 is what i want cuz i still want to be able to drive it daily and stuff u know but thanks for the info............ thier was also one more question i got though i heard that getting a super afc for tthe evo's is a really good thing to do and i was considering on getting it but if i do should i also get some injectors as well or would my stick injectors be good enough?

p.s i just would like to know what is the max boost on the stock turbo with all my mods that i have so far and how high can i push it??

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
I run the AFC on the stock turbo with 650cc's. I love it because it's easy and it works for me. You can run the AFC with stock injectors, but your not going to get as much timing reward. Stock injectors work, but just not as well. Some people bag on it because it's old school, not real tuning, what ever... it works though.
If your serious about the 400 HP number however, you may want to put that money into a management system that gives you direct timing control or even look into ecuflash;
http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
As far as how high you can raise the boost; It's not the mods that are holding you back, but the octane. If your on 91 octane, like most of use on the west coast, 20-21psi is about the max.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
umm... ijust talked to one og my friends i want to trust him but i dnt know he hasnt been too knowledgeable aboyt evo's but what i wanted to know is when i get cams and just want to run on the super afc do i need to get a dyno tune as well so my cams can run at it's best or can i just go with the super afc?? cuz he said that i do need it because he talked to a other evo owner on evolutionm.net and he said that he couldnt get into boost with his cams until he got a dyno tune??

and also what is up with the meth, or alcohol injection kit what is it and would i need it to get my 400hp to drive it daily??

thanks guys

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Hmm, I really think you should worry less about 400whp and start worrying more about learning the basics of the Evo and cars in general. The questions about cams, dyno tuning, dyno tuning being mutually exclusive from the SAFC (it's not), and not knowing what alky injection...all of these scare me and indicate that you should not even be thinking about 400whp right now.

No, you don't want an SAFC. It is the most crude and weak tuning device available for the Evo. You want a flash, and from the sounds of it, you want an expert to do your tuning for you with a flash. The good thing here is you still have the option of tuning yourself in the future with free flashing software. Using a flash, you won't need to upgrade injectors.

You speak as if a dyno tune is separate from the SAFC. This just means you don't understand what "dyno tuning" means. That term only means you get tuned on the dyno. The dyno itself doesn't tune you - some tuning device tunes you, but it gets done while ON the dyno. This can be done with the SAFC, with a flash, or with a standalone ECU - it doesn't matter what you use. Also, you NEVER have to dyno tune for anything, but it is an option that many people use. You do need to retune for cams, but you by no means need to get tuned on a dyno before hammering the gas pedal. You can get tuned on the road, on a dyno, or even through email.

Yes, you need meth or alky injection to reach 400WHP (don't use the term HP, use the term WHP), otherwise you have to use race gas, which isn't feasible for daily driving. You won't get near 400whp with the stock turbo on 91oct. However, meth and alky injection are very complicated and are also dangerous. I recommend that you worry about doing stg1 mods with a tune right now and see how 300whp feels. Then, do cams and some other things to feel 330-350whp. After that, start worrying about 400whp...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ouhh okay thanks man but i am already at stage one and i do have about 300...... thats why i am asking cuz i do want go with the tme 6.5 turbo with all supporting mods but i have been hearing alot about this alcohol injection that i needed to know about it but thanks for the info bro it really helps.....

p.s do you by anychance know how much the tme turbo can hold how much power cuz i know it is 30% lighter internals and that will give me quicker spool up but what i dnt know is how much power can it hold..... and how far can i go with it??

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
The TME doesn't make more power than your stock turbo...at most maybe 10-15whp. The purpose of the TME is for quicker spool and broader mid-range due to its Titanium/Aluminide internals. It's unlikely to make 400whp - when did you get the idea to do a TME?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ouhh ok, i got the idea from this site i saw cuz when i reserched on it and it said that with the tme i would have quicker spool and with supporting mods like fuel system i could boost at 26 27 psi and possibly generate about 400 or if not more!! but what i wanna know is i do go with a tme setup what is the max boost i could go given that i get fuel injectors super afc fuel pump lager intercooler turbo manifold and outlet pipe with a utec piggyback and also a cams and cam gears cuz i wanna maintain the quick spool of my turbo but i would like to make about 400 or more u know 450 would be my max on power cuz i dnt need anything after that so if it isnt the tme what other turbo can i go with that would give me that same power with maintaining the quick spool responce??

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
*sigh* You're just going off the deep end now. I keep saying how you need to come back to reality and chill out on this whole 400whp thing, because you don't even yet understand the basics of BASICS. When did a UTEC enter the picture? You just asked me how much you can boost on a big list of mods that included an SAFC and UTEC, both of which are piggyback tuning devices, and NEITHER of which are anywhere near as good as your stock ECU using a flash. Why would you list _two_ piggybacks in one list, and why would you mention any piggyback after being informed that flashing the ECU is by far the best way to get tuned? I'm confused.

1) It makes no sense to ask how much you can boost. It doesn't matter...that is not what's important. It's not like you need to be able to go around telling people that you run XX psi. No, what's important is how much power you can make and how fast you can go on a given set of mods with the proper octane and tuning. The TME doesn't allow you to run any more boost than the stock turbo, because it IS a stock turbo. The TME is just a stock 05 turbo with lightened internals. It gets quicker spool and MAYBE can reach 400whp with maximum boost and every possible mod with very aggressive tuning. The fact you are asking for some max boost number tells me a lot, because that is not even what's important.

2) On top of wanting to know this max boost number, you don't understand what it takes to run max boost. You gave me all these mods that have nothing to do with how much boost you can run. All of those are supporting mods, yes, but they do not determine the boost level that is safe. The thing that determines boost level is OCTANE. You are in CA, so you only have 91oct, which severely limits your ability to run high boost. To overcome this, you have to either run race gas full time, or you have to get alcohol injection. With race gas or alky injection, you can then run whatever boost you want...I prefer to keep it at 26psi for some semblance of longevity, but if you want to try to run 28-30psi all the time, that's up to you. To make 400whp on a stock-type turbo, you do have to run that much boost even though it's only efficient to 25psi or so, and anything beyond that blows hot air that must be compensated through cooling of the air charge (alky) or less aggressive timing.

3) You don't need injectors on the stock turbo, ESPECIALLY if you run alky injection

4) Cam gears are not used to maintain quick spool - all they do is move the powerband around. They really aren't needed, but I certainly don't want you thinking they are for helping maintain spool. In case you meant cams, too, then those don't help with spool either. If anything, they may lessen spool depending on the duration you get.

5) 450? What in the world? When did that number cross your mind? The stock turbo (or TME) can't get near 450whp - you need a pretty sizable turbo upgrade for that. You say you don't "need" anything after 450whp like it's something simple to do.

My concern here is that you are talking about HUGE NUMBERS with SMALL TURBOS and don't even seem to grasp the utter basics of boosted cars or the Evo in general. I highly recommend that you take some time to really learn before pursuing some crazy goal of 400+whp.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Let's not get insulting or belittling.

sho_evo_209 said:
so if it isnt the tme what other turbo can i go with that would give me that same power with maintaining the quick spool responce??
It sounds like your searching for the Holy Grail of turbos, and it doesn't exist.
sho_evo_209,
Maybe consider maxing out the stock turbo first before you jump on the 400whp bandwagon. Try squeezing every last pony you can out of her and learn what is required to do it right, maintain the car, and not blow things up.
From there maybe consider a turbo upgrade that might include a Garrett GT3076R.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks guys ur info really helped but i got another question i know it's retarted but what is the diffrence between the evo xi turbo and a tme 6.5?? any diffrence at all??..... and is thier any other turbo that can give me more power with still holding that quick spool??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts