Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 06 Evo 9 and I am already looking at some upgrades for it..... The first thing was going to be a blow off valve and for that I was looking at the turboXS type H. So I called them to confirm that the one that they had for the evo 8 will fit the evo 9 and they told me it is a really bad idea to run any blow off valve on the evo due to the mass air flow sensor which when a blow off valve is put on it makes the car run at a very rich state.......and it wont ever run correct and it will stall out alot. This is where I am at now and I would really appreciate any help with this situation and any suggestions for a good bov or other options! Thanks!:confused:

·
Registered
32 Posts
JohnEB said:
I just bought a 06 Evo 9 and I am already looking at some upgrades for it..... The first thing was going to be a blow off valve and for that I was looking at the turboXS type H. So I called them to confirm that the one that they had for the evo 8 will fit the evo 9 and they told me it is a really bad idea to run any blow off valve on the evo due to the mass air flow sensor which when a blow off valve is put on it makes the car run at a very rich state.......and it wont ever run correct and it will stall out alot. This is where I am at now and I would really appreciate any help with this situation and any suggestions for a good bov or other options! Thanks!:confused:
Well first things first, dont spend $200 on a bov because it wont make any power. :thumbdown At this point it wouldnt do anything but make noise. You only need to replace the factory bov when you start running higher than stock boost. As for the car stalling out, the guy was talking about the bov venting to the atmosphere which makes the car stall out. The evo recirrculates back into the intake so if you were going to replace your bov my suggestion would be a JDM MR bov or a greddy type-s. I have an evo8 so I'm not sure when the stock bov on the ix starts leaking so you might want to check on that.

In my opinion you should start of with these mods,

1. Turbo back exhaust
2. K&N drop in
3. Boost guage
4. Boost control
5. Re-tune either afc or reflash

Let me know if I missed anything guys!
After you do these mods you will see a nice increase in power. :rocks: Hope I was somewhat helpful.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Wow, they actually told you that? I am so glad to hear that a vendor did the right thing and told a misguided customer the truth instead of just selling them a useless $250 part.

John, you have a IX - it is basically a super car - the stock BOV is AMAZING. Why would you want to change it when it is so awesome? It's actually an upgrade for VIIIs that many of us use or have used. It holds 24-25psi without blinking while providing perfectly smooth drivability. Why would you want to put on a BOV that vents to atmosphere and messes up performance, especially when your stocker is so good? That would be like taking off your awesome turbo and installing one from an 03, or removing your awesome MIVEC head and installing a plain 03 non-MIVEC head.

These cars are great for modding, but doing a BOV first is definitely not recommended. It doesn't help performance (in this case, it hurts it), it's not worth the money, and it gives you nothing but a lot of noise. HOpefully, that wasn't your goal, because the Evo is not for making noise - it's for going fast...VERY fast.

You don't need to upgrade that BOV until you're running more than 25psi on a daily basis, which would basically require alky injection or a big turbo upgrade (or race gas daily).

I suggest you start with mods that actually help the car go faster so that you get the most out of your money. On the IX, the basic are:

- Turboback exhaust
- Manual Boost Controller + boost gauge/pod
- Flash

THose 3 basic mods will give you a 60-80whp increase for $1300 or so...

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
turbocrazy1 said:
You only need to replace the factory bov when you start running higher than stock boost. The evo recirrculates back into the intake so if you were going to replace your bov my suggestion would be a JDM MR bov. I have an evo8 so I'm not sure when the stock bov on the ix starts leaking so you might want to check on that.

5. Re-tune either afc or reflash
He has a IX, which comes with the JDM MR DV already. For us, that was a great upgrade, but those stinking IXs already come with it stock. It holds up to 24-25psi...

Don't use an SAFC on a IX. There is no patch harness available, the ECU pin-outs are different, the ECU plugs are different, and there is no way to manipulate the MIVEC with the SAFC. A flash will gain about twice as much HP and way way more torque, so stick with that.

John, where are you located? We should get together so I can show you things on my car, explain a few things, help you with modding, find you the right parts, and help with installation. We also have an RMEVO.com tuning session coming up where you can get your car flashed in person in the Springs on July 8/9. That would be a great opportunity for you to make some big power gains even with no other mods.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See now thats a suprise to me.... I never even knew the IX had a bov..... but then again thats why I joined this website because I can maybe learn a thing or 2. So now that the forum has went from bov to the right mods such as exhaust which would be a good choice? I have been looking at the turboxs turbo back and I have not touched on many others. One huge question I have is probably one I should not ask.. If I do a flash then doesnt my warranty just go down the tubes? And yeah if I can get the days off I would love to make it to the springs I was at bandimere for the super street the 11th and I have some friends from down there.. I live in Rifle but will be moving to Fort Collins soon so that would be awsome!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
32 Posts
JohnEB said:
See now thats a suprise to me.... I never even knew the IX had a bov..... but then again thats why I joined this website because I can maybe learn a thing or 2. So now that the forum has went from bov to the right mods such as exhaust which would be a good choice? I have been looking at the turboxs turbo back and I have not touched on many others. One huge question I have is probably one I should not ask.. If I do a flash then doesnt my warranty just go down the tubes? And yeah if I can get the days off I would love to make it to the springs I was at bandimere for the super street the 11th and I have some friends from down there.. I live in Rifle but will be moving to Fort Collins soon so that would be awsome!!!:thumb:
All turbocharged cars have a bov that is the where the excess pressure in the intake gets expelled from when the throttle plate closes. If turbocharged cars didnt have this it would probably cause a compressor surge. Mitsubishi warranty is crap anyway :barf: so I personally just stopped worrying about that. I know that they can tell that you messed with the computer but I have been told that they dont what has been done. This is only going to create a problem if the if they are looking for it. Pretty much any mod other than a turbo timer and catback exhaust is going to void your already pretty non-existant warranty. As for the turbo back exhaust I went with the Megan racing dp, testpipe, and downpipe. I got these parts from 9 second racing located somewhere in colorado, their prices are pretty darn cheap!!! :thumb: I had everything shipped to me in socal so I didnt have to pay sales tax since I am out of state these are the prices EXCLUDING shipping. Megan Catback- $305.00, Test-pipe- $69.00, Downpipe- $140.00 Road Race Engineering 02 simulator- $20.00. These are good parts for an even better value. Oh yeah if you have anymore questions about the reflash Warrtalon has been very helpful to me with that whole situation. Welcome to the forums buddy and happy tuning!! :dsm:

·
Registered
32 Posts
John, here is a link that will give you an overview of how a turbocharged engine works and all the parts that are different from a normally aspirated engine. Hope this helps you out with basics, this is a website I used when I was in school for automotive technologies. I dont know how much you know about engines so please dont take this as an insult I'm just trying to help you gain some knowledge down to the very basics. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Yes, there's many names we use:

- Compressor Bypass Valve (CBV)
- Blow-off Valve (BOV)
- Diverter Valve (DV)

All of these are the same thing. If you want to get technical, a BOV is one that vents to atmosphere like the one you almost mistakenly bought, and the stock one on your car is a DV, because it diverts the air back into the intake. That's the same as the compressor bypass valve...it is keeping the pressure for going BACK into your compressor housing on the turbo and turning the blades the opposite direction - this is called compressor surge. Not every boosted car has a BOV, but ones that run a lot of boost have to have them, else it destroys the turbo.

You have what is known as the JDM MR DV. No, not only MRs have them, haha. It's called JDM MR DV, because the JDM versions only had this particular one on the MR. Here in the states, all 03-05 VIIIs had a POS plastic one that would leak as early as 13psi. You IXs got lucky and got the better version from the factory.

For exhaust, I always recommend Buschur. Whatever you do, please stick with tried and true brands made by vendors who PARTICIPATE in the Evo Community. TurboXS does not do anything in our community, and I do not recommend any of their parts. Stick with companies like Buschur Racing, AMS, TurboTrix, Vishnu, etc. Buschur has a stg 1 package that will get you to 330-340whp for $1270.

Yes, a flash technically would void the warranty if the dealer even knew how to detect it, but there has not been a reported case of that yet. Also, a full exhaust would void you just the same...as would that BOV you almost bought.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha yeah I got to thinking about what I said and I am pretty sure it made me sound like a complete idiot haha! I am totaly open to some suggestions on my first performance upgrades as you guys know way more about this car then I do! Every friend I have has a STI and a few have neons(BOO) and I am the one to stick out so I have no clue haha..... One huge concern for myself is the sound of exhaust and I reall dont want to go anywhere near the *ricey* sound of every honda civic running around.... how is the sound of the Buschur exhaust? Also what about options for a air intake? Thanks! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Many options for intake, but much like a BOV, it is not very helpful nor useful, but it makes a lot of noise and can throw off performance. Please take whatever ideas you come in with, erase them, and start fresh. The Evo is a bad, bad machine, but if you treat it like a Honda or even a Neon, it won't like you.

I showed you above the few basic mods you need to get started. They are simple, reliable, cheap, and POWERFUL. It doesn't matter what exhaust you get on an Evo, because it will never sound like a Honda. They don't sound like that because of the exhaust - they sound like that because of the engine. Our cars always have very deep, low rumbling tones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Listen to Warrtalon. He is steering you down the right path. I also would advise against the intake. This is the basic route I would start with for power:

- 3" downpipe
- high flow catalytic converter
- 3" cat back (I recommend Buschur Racing for these first 3 items)
- reflash from a reputable tuner
- K&N or other high flow filter for the stock airbox (a national champ EVO race car uses and recommends the stock airbox. no need to spend money on an intake)

I would have them set the ECU reflash to control boost and raise it a little bit rather than a manual boost controller. This will make it even harder for the dealership to notice any modifications. . .

EVOlutionary

·
Registered
23 Posts
Damn, I just got a IX also, and the 1st things I bought were intake and BOV. Im not too up on the modding either, when should I put an intake on, or should I not?

The BOV I got is a greddy type s knock off, I wanted to test it out. I had a type s on my recently traded 97 Gs-T.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Well, just sell the BOV. It's not even as good as your stocker. You don't need to worry about an intake. It's not really going to do anything except suck in hot engine air and make unnecessary noise. The mods you need to focus on are:

- turboback exhaust
- manual boost controller + boost gauge
- flash

Those basic mods make up the IX stg1, they work perfectly, they aren't expensive, and they make great power. If you do your own thing and get an intake just because you have to have one, just be sure you get a tune for it - that's the most important thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts