Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the install is pretty straight-forward, but I'm stuck at the part where I have to remove the intake tube from the turbo. The damn clamp is fastened so that the bolt to loosen it is at the bottom of the pipe, which makes it virtually impossible for me to reach.

I'm at the end of my rope here. I've been struggling with this for, no lie, 2 1/2 hours trying everything I could think of to get the damn thing off. It's too dark to try anything else now, but I'd like to know who else has run into this problem, and what you did to get by it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
So, you can't get to the t-clamp where the MAF pipe connects to the turbo inlet, because the t-bolt is under the rubber pipe?

If so, then I recommend going at it from underneath the car. Remove the undertray, and it should be very easy to access.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was afraid of.

I was hoping there was some kind of tool or something that would work. In the pictures posted by turbolarry in the "How To" section, it looked like he was using some sort of flexible extension.

If I have to go underneath the car, it looks like it'll have to wait until next weekend.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are the pins the same as what was holding the snorkel on?

If so, I didn't find those difficult at all to remove.

So next weekend the plan now will be: ss clutch line, ss brake lines, LICP, TBE and now MBC. Looks like the father-in-law and I will be having some fun... ;)

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Heh, they are the same, but they are upside-down, so you will find them VERY DIFFICULT to deal with. They're the most frustrating thing to deal with on the car. You'll find out unless you have a special tool for removing them.

Be sure to get tuned when you add all that stuff, and you'll be golden.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yeah, the first time removing that clamp can be a pain in the a$$, however, the bolt on it usually points forward (the one act of kindness on mitsubishi's part, sort of.). All you really have to do is get a ratchet (i use a 1/4) with a 10mm socket. I prefer deep cause it gives you more room (with what little you have) to loosen the bolt. Your basically removing it blind if you can get your arm down there, and btw wear gloves of some kind as the radiator will slice you up.
FYI, the undertray is also somewhat time consuming to remove and you'll find yourself cursing everytime you break or strip the plastic retainers that hold it in. I'd buy a few extra ones just in case.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was going to buy some additional clips when I was at the auto parts store this past week, but they had a number of different styles (from different manufacturers), and at the time I wasn't sure what to get.

Now that I know what they are, I'll probably grab one from the snorkel attachment and bring them in to the store to match up.

BTW, they're forecasting snow and 30 degree temperatures for the weekend, so it looks like I'm going to have to put off the install for a week or two. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts