Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a situation I would like to get your advice on, and hear from other peoples point of view. I am thinking about 2 options for my car, and they are as follows.

1) Upgrade to a 1/2 White Rabbit turbo - minus the Ti and 10.5 hotside + alky kit
2) GSC 64/72 cams + alky kit + 10.5 hotside

*All work will be done at Switzer's, and the upgraded turbo is already at the shop. I have already dyno'ed there and made 270whp from Buschur stage 1 and 2.

I am having reservations over option #1 due to the lack of data on the WR turbo, plus I am only getting half of the unit anyways. Additionally, the turbo numbers are not as good as some have expected. I do not really have the supporting mods to really turn the boost up very high or EMS to reach it's full potential. I am almost curtain that I am going with option #2, but wanted you guys to chime in with some comments.
What kind of numbers would be realistic with 1-2 if you have any insight.
Thanks for responding!

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
How about the EVO 6.5 TME turbo with alcohol injection as an option? If not that, then cams are a good step to take. I am not familiar with the GSC cams though.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
evolvedmb said:
... I do not really have the supporting mods to really turn the boost up very high or EMS to reach it's full potential.
What kind of numbers would be realistic with 1-2 if you have any insight.
Thanks for responding!
If your serious about upgrades and tuning; what do you want out of the car?
Don't ask what kind of numbers because there are too many variables. What is your goal?
Please update your profile so we can see what mods you have and then people can help you more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My goal for the car is to add "quickness", as I am not really interested in top end speed as much as getting out of the hole faster. I have talked to David Buschur in the past, and he suggested to get up to Stage 4 and an alky kit. My current mods are Buschur stage 1 and 2 which consists of

S-AFC : BR settings
MBC
1G BOV
Full 3 inch Magnaflow exhaust
Small battery kit
BR Upper IC piping
BR intake
BR MAF PIPE KIT

I am not going the Buschur route in the near future, and want an alternative path to quickness. My numbers are way lower than I expected, so that is why I chose another tuner.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
evolvedmb said:
My goal for the car is to add "quickness", as I am not really interested in top end speed as much as getting out of the hole faster. I have talked to David Buschur in the past, and he suggested to get up to Stage 4 and an alky kit. My current mods are Buschur stage 1 and 2 which consists of

S-AFC : BR settings
MBC
1G BOV
Full 3 inch Magnaflow exhaust
Small battery kit
BR Upper IC piping
BR intake
BR MAF PIPE KIT

I am not going the Buschur route in the near future, and want an alternative path to quickness. My numbers are way lower than I expected, so that is why I chose another tuner.
OK, now were getting somewhere. :thumb:
Where is you boost set at? There's no boost leaks, right?
The "full 3in. exhaust," does that include a downpipe and a test pipe?
Keep your AFC settings for now, but start knowing that canned settings blow and every car is different. Start thinking about logging and getting settings that are best for your car.
"Alternative path..." I like that. :thumb: Don't just choose another "tuner." Go with whatever part works from whoever makes it. Don't worry about mixing parts. That myth, rumor, saying that you have to stick with the same vendor, company, whatever is bullsh!t.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
turbolarry said:
OK, now were getting somewhere. :thumb:
Where is you boost set at? There's no boost leaks, right?
The "full 3in. exhaust," does that include a downpipe and a test pipe?
Keep your AFC settings for now, but start knowing that canned settings blow and every car is different. Start thinking about logging and getting settings that are best for your car.
"Alternative path..." I like that. :thumb: Don't just choose another "tuner." Go with whatever part works from whoever makes it. Don't worry about mixing parts. That myth, rumor, saying that you have to stick with the same vendor, company, whatever is bullsh!t.
Thanks for responding :thumb: The boost is set for 19lbs. and kind of tapers down to 17. I am unsure about the leak, as I am not mechanically inclined/acquire the tools. Sorry I forgot to mention that I do have the downpipe with the entire exhaust. I am a teacher, and can't/haven't focused on tuning or working on cars. I know, I know....... I should learn just for the sake/money/safety reasons! I'm the dumbass that pays people to work on my car, but I trust Switzer's more than anyone else I have been in contact with in the past.
I just received a PM from Tym, and he said that he is commited to making my car the best Switzer's can perform. I am going to email him about my thought process from above, and see what kind of reaction he has to plan B. My real concern is that I will not be maximizing my money-to-performance hunger level. I'll let you guys know what happens, and please continue to add anything to this post you think is helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
For now, i would go with cams and start learnign how to log and tune. Thats where your biggest gains will come from.
Right now I wouldn't upgrade the turbo as the stock 16g spools up very nicely (and even better with cams) and to top that off, the 16g pulls hard top end with cams in it.
Putting in a slightly bigger turbo, you are limiting the turbo by not having cams.
For now with what you have said, I think you'll be much happier with cams

·
Registered
79 Posts
from what i've seen IMO that white rabbit turbo really isn't that impressive.. they are making #'s you can make with the stock turbo... id take the advice given above cams and learning how to log and tune... a good tune will make a night and day difference... cams well... lets just put it this way... i have 272's.. worth every dime i spent.. and haven't failed me yet. you might not understand a lot now but reading and hands on you'll be ok. :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts