Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to the board, I just picked up a MR 2 days ago I'm looking forward to mods and a very fast car. Where do I start? What is the most power you can get out of these cars without affecting the drivability? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
yh8t said:
Hey guys I'm new to the board, I just picked up a MR 2 days ago I'm looking forward to mods and a very fast car. Where do I start? What is the most power you can get out of these cars without affecting the drivability? Thanks
Your 2nd question is too vague to answer. You'll have to narrow that down.

Your first question is easy. We have a tech guide right here on the site that shows upgrade paths you can follow. The IX is a nasty beast that is way faster than all the previous USDM Evos, so you made a great choice.

My suggestion for starting off with your IX is to get these basic mods:

- Turboback Exhaust (TBE)
- Manual Boost Controller (MBC)
- Boost Gauge + Pod
- Reflash

This simple combo of mods will give you about a 60-70whp gain, which would put you around 330-340whp (assuming 93oct on a Dynojet). You can do any brands you want, but my preferences for the best mods and the best price are to get those mods in a single package from Buschur Racing for $1270 shipped to your house.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. This car will not be my daily driver but I don't want to build a car that has to sit a lot. I have heard that you can get above 500 HP in this car and that's what I will probably shoot for if It doesn't affect the drivability much. I know the warranty will be voided but if it is built right I'm willing to sacrafice that.
thanks

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Good Lord, 500whp on a brand new IX that you don't use as a daily driver? Damn, must be rollin' nicely in SoCal. You can put down 500whp on the stock engine/head, but by no means will a 500whp Evo have anything near stock drivability. It would be just a drag strip car for the most part at that point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's exactly what I don't want. Forgive my ignorance in this but it's been a long time since I've had a chance to put a car together especially one of these I'm not very familiar with them yet. I guess what i'm looking to do is to build a car that can kill almost anything on the streets but can still drive regular, I have some pretty fast cars but people expect them to be fast, I chose this car because of the shock/sleeper factor it has. And I just raced against one about a month ago and I could not pull away easy. That's why I just had to get 1.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Well, you can make the Evo fast enough to blow away 1000cc motorcycles, but it's just not going to have normal drivability. I'd say about the best you could do for daily driving smoothness is to get a BB 50-trim kit from AMS or TurboTrix and add a Buschur 2.3L stroker. Run it on race gas with a race gas tune all the time, and it will have around 480whp/450wtq with pretty quick spool. The engine wouldn't have to be touched other than some cams and head studs. I don't know if that would be fast enough for you, but that would run high 10s at 126-127mph with a good driver.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
yh8t said:
Warrtalon, thank you for your advise, what is Buschr 2.3L ? Sounds like an engine.
Yes, it's a stroker motor that is 2.3L instead of 2.0L like our stock motor. It will provide a LOT more grunt, low-end torque, mid-range torque, and it will spool your turbo more quickly, which is important on a bigger turbo.

However, the downside is it can't rev as high as a built 2.0. Since you wanted it to have good drivability, I didn't think you'd be as interested in a setup that revs to 9k and doesn't make power until 6k, so this setup would make power at 4k and rev to 7500 faster than you can blink.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts