Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my new Evo has about 450 miles on it, and SOMETIMES 3rd gear feels like it grinds. I'm just curious why a car with 450 miles on it would do this. Does it have something to do with break-in? I haven't shifted it fast at all.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't resist. It goes into gear just like all the others, but it sounds and feels like a grind. I'll give it another week, and if it's still there, I'll take it to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I would take it to the dealer if the problem doesn't go away very soon.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to hear that, I would take it to the dealer if the problem doesn't go away very soon.
Yea, that's what I'm gonna do. I kinda narrowed it down to 2 things: When someone test drove it, they missed 3rd pretty bad..., Or it's a manufacturing defect. I hope the dealer takes care of it. I know it's not my fault, 'cause I've been pretty easy on the trans, no missed shifts or anything. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, so the car is sitting at the dealer waiting to be looked at. Driving is gonna suck without it...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the service manager claims there is no problem. They're having a rep come down to take a ride in the car with me to show him whats wrong. It does grind. I guess this is Mitsu trying to get out of a warranty claim? If the dealership doesn't do anything about it, I'll be contacting the Better Business Bureau to have it resolved. This is pretty damn annoying.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The BBB isn't going to resolve anything. They'll take your complaint, and that's about as far as it'll go. Even if they decide to try and resolve anything it can still take months.

Try a different dealership, or harrass Mitsu USA.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Weird that the dealer does not want to touch it. I have worked at a few dealers and they always loved warranty work. They get to charge it back and the techs still got paid. I would also take it to another Mitsubishi dealer. Make sure its the largest competitor of the place that is giving you problems. Lots of times rival dealerships will take care of someone just to keep a customer for life type perspective by screwing the other place.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, I see. You mentioned that it sometimes grinds. When does it do that?
Well, I thought it was sometimes. It actually starts after I drive the car for awhile. I was kinda mis-lead because I was doing a lot of driving that day. So, first 10 minutes or so, its not there, then it starts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
So basically it doesn't begin to occur until the tranny gets warmed up? Grinding gears on a brand new car would get my goat a bit. I'd stay after Mitsu. and be talking to different dealerships until you can find someone to listen. It is not normal for 4 of 5 gears to shift completely fine and smooth and then have 1 that's notchy and grinds. I'm sorry, but some dealerships really must think people are stupid.:rolleyes: Next thing you know they'll be telling people it's completely normal for that loud howling noise to be coming from the TC when you only have a couple hundred miles on a car that has never been launched. The things they try to get away with. :nono:

·
Registered
70 Posts
at this point, the best thing you can do is give them anything necessary to make it repeatable. And you may have to tell them they have to drive it 10-15 minutes, or volunteer to go down and drive it until it starts acting up. if at that point they still arent helpful, raise hellfire and brimstone. One of the guys I work with had to go down on a saturday afternoon, and talk very loudly about how the service department was treating him like shit and not honoring his warranty. He didnt back down until, magically, someone finally offered to take car of him.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, on Tuesday when the service manager called me to say it was "fine," I gave him hell because I KNOW 3rd grinds. I just picked the car up from the dealership today, and had to drive about 20 minutes for 3rd to start acting up. I told them they have to drive it for awhile. I think they only put 2 miles on the car, but I forget what the mileage was when I brought it in. They'll call me when the rep comes down, but I'll probably take it to another dealership before then. Although, I'd love so much to prove the service manager wrong.

·
Registered
220 Posts
at this point, the best thing you can do is give them anything necessary to make it repeatable. And you may have to tell them they have to drive it 10-15 minutes, or volunteer to go down and drive it until it starts acting up. if at that point they still arent helpful, raise hellfire and brimstone. One of the guys I work with had to go down on a saturday afternoon, and talk very loudly about how the service department was treating him like shit and not honoring his warranty. He didnt back down until, magically, someone finally offered to take car of him.
Same thing happend to me and i got a brand new tranny.:thumb: FTW

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had the same experience with my new EVO SE. Before I got my EVO I owned a Acura RSX-S, they are famous for grinding gears. I was told on their forum to check out this website. www.turnfast.com It shows you how to properly shift. I am not trying to insult you, but it could be a technique issue. I learned alot from this site, and the grinding stopped.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have had the same experience with my new EVO SE. Before I got my EVO I owned a Acura RSX-S, they are famous for grinding gears. I was told on their forum to check out this website. www.turnfast.com It shows you how to properly shift. I am not trying to insult you, but it could be a technique issue. I learned alot from this site, and the grinding stopped.
That site is full of neat info. I'll have to try the proper technique, hah. Thanks man!

·
Registered
5 Posts
No Prob. I have found that using the over-hand, wrist-only technique. I can shift alot faster, and smoother. Most people dont even notice I am driving a manual car.
I am very happy with the Mitsu gearbox. I think in rivals the smoothness of honda's.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts