Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes check for coolent in them. This has been a problem for some guys. I am one of them. The car was sputtering above 15 psi. I knew it has to be ignition problem. (I just put in 100 octan gas) I check plugs 1 and 3 and they looked fine. I pulled the coil off of #2 and then pulled the plug with out looking in the hole 1st! Big mistake! I dumped coolent down in the cylinder without knowing it! I seen fluid falling off the plug. I was like what the hell. So I then looked in the #2 hole and saw that coolent had gotten down inside of the cylinder so I just blew it out with compressed air. Pulled the other plug clean everything up put some BPR7ES in and Beat the crap out of the car. No more coolent in any of the spark plug holes. I had to of come from the factory like that. I only have 2000 miles on the car. So do your self a favor and check your holes! :thumb:
I did some research on other boards and some guys were saying it was the head gasket may have been blown and putting coolent in the spark plug holes. Are they really that dumb?:rolleyes:

Later
Luke

·
Registered
239 Posts
dude, the water passages run right next to the spark plugs...duhh;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why yes they do but it would take a hole or hair line crack to seap in. I have not found one yet.

·
Registered
239 Posts
actually I was joking...I don't think there are hence the;)

the water and oil passages are on the sides of the block and head, aren't they?

·
Registered
239 Posts
also, the head gasket, in no way seals the spark plugs or the spark plug journals (is that the right word?) So by that again, it could not be the head gasket in anyway...somebody had to have been filling up coolant and tried pouring it in the wrong hole...thats what really happened...damn mitsu techs

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no there are coolent passsages through the head also. Just not oil. I just hope I do not have a crack in the spark plug journals. Thanks for the correct name. I did not know that.

·
Registered
239 Posts
ok, now I'm confused...let me try to clarify my thoughts (this is based on a 2g dsm head).

The head does have coolant come into it. It flows threw passages from the water jacket in the block and comes to a water jacket in the head...correct? except, the water jackets get no where near the spark plug journals (and I just guessed at that word, I don't know if its correct) so no coolant flows near them, so even if you had a crack in it, coolant wouldn't leak in, oil would.

and I know there are passages for oil, that is how the cams and rockers and all the reciprocating parts in the head get oiled...if they didn't, ouch...and there is oil that sits near the spark plug journals, and there are 4 individual o-ring gaskets that seal the journals from the head in the valve cover gasket...

the head gasket wouldn't cover the spark plugs or journals or anything because the head is hemi and the plugs are higher up than the bottom of the head..you know what I mean...

ok, I hope I cleared up my thoughts...I don't want you or me confused again..lol..

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
12secEVO said:
ok, now I'm confused...let me try to clarify my thoughts (this is based on a 2g dsm head).

The head does have coolant come into it. It flows threw passages from the water jacket in the block and comes to a water jacket in the head...correct? except, the water jackets get no where near the spark plug journals (and I just guessed at that word, I don't know if its correct) so no coolant flows near them, so even if you had a crack in it, coolant wouldn't leak in, oil would.

and I know there are passages for oil, that is how the cams and rockers and all the reciprocating parts in the head get oiled...if they didn't, ouch...and there is oil that sits near the spark plug journals, and there are 4 individual o-ring gaskets that seal the journals from the head in the valve cover gasket...

the head gasket wouldn't cover the spark plugs or journals or anything because the head is hemi and the plugs are higher up than the bottom of the head..you know what I mean...

ok, I hope I cleared up my thoughts...I don't want you or me confused again..lol..
To the best of my knowledge, you are absolutly correct. No way in hell the head gasket has anything to do with the spark plug wells (yes, they are called spark plug wells, not spark plug journals).

Keith

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok we are all better now! BUT they are SPAKE PLUG HOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahhaa
I thought there were passages for water by the spark plug wells, holes journals. (one of them has to be correct) lol. Well I was wrong, thats cool! you learn more stuff every day. Thanks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
ya, now you know there aren't any there...they are all on the sides of the head and block.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts