Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I live near Portland OR and I just got my first EVO. I also own a 95 Eagle Talon TSI AWD that I have had for a few years and a 91 Eagle Talon TSI AWD that a friend and I are fixing up to do to some Rally racing.
Over the weekend I bought a new red 2005 Evo 8 GSR with the sun and sound package. It was owned by the dealership for a year as a show car. This means with the car I got a carbon fiber hood, trunk, and special order spoiler from Japan, full intercooler piping and intake, custom painted interior trim to match the red exterior, the added gauge pod cluster in the stock stereo spot, and a custom installed set of street glow lighting that I just found out about yesterday. With the deal I also got Evo 9 wheels. What a great car and what a blast to drive.
-Chris

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Damn I'm jelous of you; a 1g, 2g and an Evo.
Congrats. :thumb:

... congrats for the street glow lighting too. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Eeek, sorry, they considered that a show car? I almost barfed when I saw that wing and red plastic interior, no offense. I know you didn't do it, but wow, they went a little off the deep end with that stuff, hah.

I'm not sure there's anywhere to "go" for tuning up there, but Dynoflash will be in Seattle on the weekend of Sep 9/10 doing custom road tuning for Evos.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome. There are a number of places in Portland to get tuned. I am looking at the used blue 03 Evo at Beaverton. GPMoto is who is doing my work. But as far as places to get tuned, there is GPMoto, PDX Tuning, Torque Freeks, and English Motors. I am missing one, but these are your best places to go.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
All those places can tunes Evos? How? I know HPF (is it Torque Freaks or Horsepower Freaks?) recently began trying to tune with EcuFlash, but they aren't multi-year experts, so they're having some growing pains.

I'ev never heard of those other places having Evo flashing software or Evo flashing ability. Is that the case?

·
Registered
45 Posts
PDX Tuning I believe is using the U-tec, and the re-flash. Torque Freaks, and Horsepower Freaks used to be the same company. Now, Torque Freaks is turning wrenches, and reflashes. Horsepower Freaks is retail only (I think). GPMoto is a Hydra, UniChip tuner. He is learning reflashes. English motors is a well known to the Northwest business for DSM. He also does Evo's. Not sure on what he uses for tuning. And Warrtalon, I don't know the answer to your question of how.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Oh ok, you were just referring to random shops who can tune random tuning devices. In this case, tuning an Evo is referring to having the flashing software specific to the Evo and being able to tune. This guy doesn't have a UTEC or hydra or anything else. He would need a place that is an expert flash tuner, and I don't think any of those places have Techtom or Ecutek. They may have recently tried to start using EcuFlash, but that would mean they have very little experience, which is a big deal when getting custom flashed, so buyer beware.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, do I need to get a reflash everytime I do a mod? At what points does it become necessary to reflash? Doesn't the ECU have some ability to adjust to the new mods? Thanks,
-Chris

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
ForestEvo8 said:
So, do I need to get a reflash everytime I do a mod? At what points does it become necessary to reflash? Doesn't the ECU have some ability to adjust to the new mods? Thanks,
-Chris
When ever you do a set of major upgrades a re-tune is a good idea. Do a few mods and re-flash, the margin of error and self correcting of the stock ECU should handle any minor mods you do after that until you do another major set of upgrades. The only real exeption to that rule is anything to do with the pre-turbo intake system. The MAF sensor is very sensative to changes in the pipe and would need a re-flash if you switch from one setup to another. That is why people are recomending an imediate re-tune for you, you said the dealership put an intake on the car.

Ketih

1 - 11 of 11 Posts