Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to say hello to everyone in the RM area. I have a 05 EVO VIII that I am working on slowly. I have got a turboback 3" custom exhaust done and lower IC piping working on building the upper. I have a manul boost controler pushing 23lbs. I have a K&N intake and I have a TurboXS Utec, O yea some body mods too. I wish I knew how much power I was @? I hope to see you fella's soon. :dsm:

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
You can find out on a dyno. :p

Welcome to the site - you came to the right place. Hopefully, by K&N intake, you only mean a drop-in filter or just the cone filter. If you have the Typhoon, then I highly recommend getting rid of it. The UTEC is also not a good choice as your tuning device, but we can help get you on the right track.

It looks like you've already done extensive cosmetic mods. Give us the details.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have the K&N cold air intake . It works great No problems that I have heard of. I have upgraded the breaks rotors and pads to the Bembro rotors and pads. So noise but I guess that is the gases. The front end is a Seibon TS-2 Carbon Fiber Hood and a CWEST front end painted to give it a different look. I have white face gauges in the cluster and a Auto meter Cobalt blue boost gage that matches the blue neons in side. I am thinking about flasing my car and getting rid of the Utec.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
You may n ot notice problems, but if you have the Typhoon, which includes the hard pipe going to the turbo, then it's definitely not good. I would recommend putting on the stock pipe connected to the K&N filter, then remove the UTEC and get flashed by Justin, our local tuner (only $150).

Blue neons inside. :eek: WTF

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may n ot notice problems, but if you have the Typhoon, which includes the hard pipe going to the turbo, then it's definitely not good. I would recommend putting on the stock pipe connected to the K&N filter, then remove the UTEC and get flashed by Justin, our local tuner (only $150).

LOL the light are for accent nothing more. Also why get rid of the pipe from the turbo to the mass air meter?

·
Registered
6 Posts
First of all I am posting a reply because I cannot figure out how to start a new post on this web site. Having made a fool of myself now, I also am working on my Evo VIII 03 and have this ***** P0300 SES light supposedly from my LWF and Stage II clutch. The car runs great but what a PIA to keep resetting the SES. It will last about 200m and comes on usually when in Cruise Control going down hill. I can even feel the vibration. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Will

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Where is Justin and who is he? I would like this done asap. I hate buring rich.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sent an E-mail to Justin at JustDSM but got no reply. He is in Cheyene, Wy. which is near me. I would love to get a tune from him. I sent my ECU to Works and got a generic tune for my TBE and drop-in filter. Will

·
Registered
176 Posts
Did Just DSM get back from his trip???

Welcome to the site BAMBAM-------------Warr has a point about the K&N FIPK, people have trouble tunning it. Tests have "pruven"------(shameless plug) better WHP results w/ the drop in K&N filter.

Personnally I like the look of the K&N unit and wouldn't consider changing it for only a few ponies. The carbon fiber makes up for the loss in my book. Also stay away from AEM, they are also hard to tune for. Must be manifold harmonics or something.

General consensus on CAI's for the Evo are HKS SMF, or drop in. I think it has something to do w/ the venturi they build into the MAF adapter. The Weapon R CAI has a venturi as well. (shameless plug again-----------I have one for sale)

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
LOL the light are for accent nothing more. Also why get rid of the pipe from the turbo to the mass air meter?

Because it has a very poor design and is exactly what causes the problem. I'm giving you years of experience and something that is common knowledge in the Evo world. That Typhoon is the ABSOLUTE WORST intake for the Evo, and it's because of the pipe. It only hurts your, so why use it? It definitely doesn't help. If you just want a pipe there for looks, then there are others to choose from that are designed properly.

Wyoevo and BAMBAM, Justin is on a military assignment for a month, but you can get with him after he gets back.

Wow, UTEC and Works Brain flash - not good, doh!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey BAMBAM, I had the typhoon hard pipe in with my kit, but took it out and noticed an unnecessary flap of metal (the venturi) in the pipe. It serves only to restrict the actual amount of flow into your intake, making you burn rich. I swapped out the K&N hard pipe with the stock pipe and noticed an IMMEDIATE difference in power! Try it out, you'll see for yourself ;)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not a flap that moves...just a metal rectangle jutting into the airflow.
You must be talking about the metal that comes down from the blow off port. I cut that off and smothed everything out. I did notice that when I bought it. I though it was just mine had extra metal from being put together....lol but I resolved that as soon as it was in my hands. I will put the stock one on and see when I go to the dyno. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
85 Posts
I know a lot of people have speculated that the pipe is the problem, but from what I can tell it has more to do with the MAF adaptor than anything else. For some reason, several popular MAF to filter adaptors really screw with the airflow through the KV MAF and make the ecu do all sorts of weird things.In extreme cases, this can and will cause the car to not make as much boost as it should. In less severe cases the usual side effects are timing drop, running richer than normal, etc leading to poor performance for the mods done to the car. NO FLASH will fix this, it is an airflow problem.

How old is your UTEC? the first-generation ones absolutely sucked and are worse than useless for an EVO. I actually told one of the higher-ups from Turbo XS that the box sucked and I wouldnt use them at all when I was at SEMA last year, and he admitted that I was 100% right and they had actually fired the guy who led the project for the EVO. He also said that they were re-developing the entire thing so if yours is newer it might have the newer architechture and firmware etc that he had said was in the works, and it might be better. I should call TXS and see if the new version has been released and what, if any improvements have been made. Even if it is a newer version, its my honest opinion there is no reason for a UTEC when you can get your car flashed.
Beware WHO you allow to flash your car as well. There are few in this area who actually understand how the ECU works but many that have a cable and the software. I believe Just DSM does a good job, along with maybe two others in the area including myself.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know a lot of people have speculated that the pipe is the problem, but from what I can tell it has more to do with the MAF adaptor than anything else. For some reason, several popular MAF to filter adaptors really screw with the airflow through the KV MAF and make the ecu do all sorts of weird things.In extreme cases, this can and will cause the car to not make as much boost as it should. In less severe cases the usual side effects are timing drop, running richer than normal, etc leading to poor performance for the mods done to the car. NO FLASH will fix this, it is an airflow problem.

How old is your UTEC? the first-generation ones absolutely sucked and are worse than useless for an EVO. I actually told one of the higher-ups from Turbo XS that the box sucked and I wouldnt use them at all when I was at SEMA last year, and he admitted that I was 100% right and they had actually fired the guy who led the project for the EVO. He also said that they were re-developing the entire thing so if yours is newer it might have the newer architechture and firmware etc that he had said was in the works, and it might be better. I should call TXS and see if the new version has been released and what, if any improvements have been made. Even if it is a newer version, its my honest opinion there is no reason for a UTEC when you can get your car flashed.
Beware WHO you allow to flash your car as well. There are few in this area who actually understand how the ECU works but many that have a cable and the software. I believe Just DSM does a good job, along with maybe two others in the area including myself.
Not sure about what version the UTEC is. I took it out the other day. I would like it flashed but I am looking for someone that can do it for me and not break the bank the UTEC was alot. I am will in to give it as a payment if someone will flash my car, if someone wants to do it that way. I really like the ideas. please keep them coming. I was a american muscle man till I got my but in the driver seat of the EVO. Now I will never go back.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts