Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 05 Evo8...w/ 19,000 miles. Its stock and in great condition. I want to add a turbo timer, bov and boost gauge. Finding the parts is no problem but finding a mechanic/installer is. Any suggestions? I am in Socal...Santa Clarita to be exact.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Are you handy with a decent set of tools? All three of them are fairly easy to install; turbo timers will plug into a simple harness, the BOV is a couple of clamps, and the boost gauge is a tee and spliced lines. You can definatly save some money and if you have any questions post'em up. :thumb:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunately i have been stricken with a life long case of murphy's law and I will end up blowing the motor:)
do you think those are good mods to start with?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
No, they are not good mods to start with (1 is).

The boost gauge is an absolute must as your first mod, but you have ABSOLUTELY no reason for a BOV. That's the ricer mod path. You also don't need a turbo timer...that's for show more than function. Just don't go boosting into your parking spot and shutting off the car immediately.

The best mods to get (in order):
- Boost gauge
- MBC
- Exhaust (turboback)
- fuel pump (do same time as flash)
- tune (flash)
- BOV (recirculating only, not VTA)

I prefer that people do all the above at once, because they are all tied together and work perfectly as a team. You can do individual parts, but some of these have interdependencies, so it's best to do all at once. If you can only do a few at a time, try to go in the order I gave.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ryno11 said:
do you think those are good mods to start with?
That's a bit of a difficult question. Are you going for looks or performance. If it's performance, of course you could have substituted some things. But to each his own right?

Boost gauge is a good investment, good choice. BOV, it depends, if upgrading to a $300 HKS SSQV, your money could have been better spent. The JDM or IX DV are good upgrades for the bov and are inexpensive. Turbo-back exhaust, master boost controller, fuel pump and a flash are the best first investments for the Evo VIII.

Some say a turbo timer is a complete waste of money, I personally say better safe then sorry, plus it doesn't hurt.

My 2 cents, hope I was some help.

BTW, congrats on the new purchase! :thumb: Pics!!??
***EDIT***
Warrtalon beat me to it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unfortunately I already purchased the Greddy rs bov, greddy auto timer and greddy boost gauge. I went this route because I figured that these are things that will protect my investment. I made sure not to get the loud bov...not my style...but I read that bov's will prolong the life of your turbo (right). Timer to make sure the engine is cooling properly and gauge is self explanatory. I planned on waiting to add hp

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am also reading and hearing conflicting info on BOVs...is it a good idea? if i am running stock boost will it matter?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
ryno11 said:
unfortunately I already purchased the Greddy rs bov, greddy auto timer and greddy boost gauge. I went this route because I figured that these are things that will protect my investment. I made sure not to get the loud bov...not my style...but I read that bov's will prolong the life of your turbo (right). Timer to make sure the engine is cooling properly and gauge is self explanatory. I planned on waiting to add hp
It's unfortunate you thought that about the BOV. People get BOVs first so that they can mimic 2F2F, not because it prolongs the life of the turbo. I have no idea where you got that idea unless maybe you came from the Honda crowd where they run low boost usually and can sometimes get away with no BOV. All Evos already have a BOV. Getting an aftermarket one with no power mods and stock boost, especially that Greddy RS, is just a waste of money. Please don't get stuck in the rut of only buying namebrand stuff like Greddy. We have tons of parts from vendors not named Greddy or HKS that work incredibly well while costing much less. What's done is done, but you were definitely misinformed on the BOV. Same with the turbo timer - it's really just a gadget and is not needed on an oil-and-water-cooled turbo like ours. The gauge was a must, so you're good there.

There should be no conflicting info on the BOV - what conflicting info are you talking about? Your stocker can leak as early as 13psi, so when you start raising boost, it's good to get a strong recirculating BOV that holds the boost without leaking. The Greddy RS can work ok, but it's not really worth the money. You will also have to be sure you do the single spring mod to make it work properly.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
BOV's, and in our case compressor bypass valves (CBV) do protect the turbo and keep boost from backing up to the turbo when thottle closes and reek havok on the bearing. So ultimately yes it protects it. It only really needs to be upgraded if you're going past stock boost levels or you got a leaky one. Since you already bought the Greddy one, you might as well put in in and have fun adjusting it.
Turbo timers might not technically be needed, but I like the piece of mind. I know I get my turbine housing cherry red pulling to the parking lot at work because I'm always running late and I'm not about to sit around for a minute or two. I definately don't want to open up the turbo and see this;

PS
These are just cars, not an investment. In fact they are just money pits. :laugh:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
turbolarry said:
BOV's, and in our case compressor bypass valves (CBV) do protect the turbo and keep boost from backing up to the turbo when thottle closes and reek havok on the bearing. So ultimately yes it protects it. It only really needs to be upgraded if you're going past stock boost levels or you got a leaky one. Since you already bought the Greddy one, you might as well put in in and have fun adjusting it.
Turbo timers might not technically be needed, but I like the piece of mind. I know I get my turbine housing cherry red pulling to the parking lot at work because I'm always running late and I'm not about to sit around for a minute or two. I definately don't want to open up the turbo and see this;

PS
These are just cars, not an investment. In fact they are just money pits. :laugh:
You are WOT going into the parking lot, right up to your parking space? That is the only way your turbin housing would be glowing cherry red when you ar pulling into the parking lot!

Simply put, anyone who NEEDS a turbo timer would also need BAIL MONEY for driving like a psycopath on surface streets and in the parking lot. If your daily commute involves one minut of "normal" driving looking for a parking spot, or even driving to an assigned parking spot in a parking lot where you are not going to be driving at WOT then you do not need a turbo timer.

Keith

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well luckily i was able to return my BOV this morning for a full refund and for the timer i commute anywhere from one to two hours daily so i figured a timer won't hurt. Thanks for all the info.

as far as spending money either its a waste or investment...sometimes you break even.
as long as i enjoy the ride i am getting a return on my investment

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all of those that gave me advice on my mods...especially BOVs. My next move is exhaust...recommendations anyone? anyone?

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have a rs*r exhaust on my IX and lovin the sound. its a bit loud (not to me thought) but at wot it lets people know you aint bulls**tin around. i also have a turbo timer in my evo. it may not be a high priority to a low level of tuning, bu ti like the way people look at me when i walk away from the car and its still runnin. and i guess you can call me a psycho for goin full boost on the streets. i drive an evo how else am i gonna drive it :D . and with my bov i get alot of domestics runnin away when they hear me boost. here is a clip of my bov and exhaust

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/rojas215/?action=view&current=MyEvo.flv

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
ryno11 said:
Thanks to all of those that gave me advice on my mods...especially BOVs. My next move is exhaust...recommendations anyone? anyone?
As long as it's 3 inch consisdant diameter with minimal mandrel bends; get the style/sound that fits your budget. :thumb:

·
Registered
79 Posts
turbolarry said:
As long as it's 3 inch consisdant diameter with minimal mandrel bends; get the style/sound that fits your budget. :thumb:

yeap, it mostly about how much $ you got and what kinda sound you like. :sneaky:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am going for the whole "sleeper" style if you can do that with an EVO...so I am not looking for that sewing machine on steroids sound. I like the thought of whipping someone and leaving them wondering if I am stock or not.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts