Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I just got an account and I have had an EVO for about 2 weeks. The first few days were OK. Drove it around went to the beach (70 miles from here). I had the car 2 days and I had to replace the rear brake pads (dealership closes on Saturday) the next day the clutch starts slipping. The next morning I took it to the shop and they had to push it on the lift. The car has 28K miles and the clutch was destroyed and the rear brake pads were completely gone. Is this normal wear or was it ragged out? I didnt drive it that hard (fast accel. from rolling, no clutch popping) It has been in the shop for 1 1/2 weeks and they have only conluded that I blew the clutch and brakes in 900 miles... wtf?:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Chances are the previous owner had fun with it. The good news is the motor is tuff, so once you cover the clutch and maybe a few other things that might might pop up, the car will be fine. Is the car completely stock or did it come with some upgrades?
If it makes you feel any better remember; Everything on a car can be fixed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, well $1300 for a new clutch isn't cheap:barf: . The owner installed an AEM Short Ram and a Greddy Turbo Timer. Yes everything can be fixed, but it also costs $$. And I'm trying to convince the dealership to pay for it, but they are saying I did the damage in three days.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Yeah, that's why we usually recommend not buying used Evos, especially 03s. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone say the same thing. They bought the used Evo, then within a week, the clutch was slipping. The truth is it was already slipping when they bought it, but they probably didn't notice. The pads are not a surprise, and you probably should take a look at your tires, because our stock Advans only last 15-20k miles at most. Since it's over 20k, then you probably already have some weak all-seasons on there that handle like crap. Double-check to see what brand tires you have. If they are the stock Advans, then make sure they aren't worn to the nub.

The dealer is full of crap. You did not screw the clutch and pads in that short amount of time. It's well known that the stock clutch is very weak and doesn't last long.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I bought my 03 from the dealership I work at with 32k on it, had different tires, not sure if the clutch was ever changed on it, but now I have 58k on it and it's still holds strong. I have had no problems with mine at all, I replaced the front pads at 50k and the rears are still perfect. When buying used you always have to check out the car real good first especially a Evo. I drove mine very hard about 4 times before I bought it to make sure nothing was wrong with it.

$1300 for the clutch and work? Is that a OEM clutch? You could probably get a aftermarket clutch and flywheel and have it installed for right around there. check out the specials www.gruppe-s.com has on clutchs and flywheels. Good luck man sorry to hear it's in the shop.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yep... but I was pretty rash when I got the car. But I'm ok with it, the dealer is doing all the work after I talked to them for like an hour. Oh, by the way I have practically brand new Falken Azenis's. And the salesman I drove with started hyperventilating when I got it above 3500 rpm. The whole thing pisses me off just b/c they blamed it on me.

I am leaving in August for USMC basic training so I'm not too worried about it lasting since I won't be putting a lot of miles on it. I have heard that if you put a better clutch in it that it kills the transfer case and transaxles, any truth in that?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I was thinking, but the service manager told me different (is it just me or do these people say strange things?). And maybe it was just that my clutch was slipping, but it almost seemed that if i launched from anything lower than 5500rpm it didnt have much off the line power. My Mustang GT that I traded seemed to pull harder off the line:barf: And with a factory clutch what would be a good rpm to launch from?

And thanks for the good luck at Parris:D , I will most definitely be needing it

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Well, yeah, below 5000rpm, you're likely to bog unless you slip the hell out of it. When I was on the stock clutch, I did a quick-slip from 6000rpm and ended up running a best of 12.22 with a catback/mbc/safc on race gas, but after 30-35 drag runs with hard launches, it gave up the ghost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts