Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I got 2 questions.
Stick with me this is my first post.

1. If I get this AMS package with the reflash can I run a BOV, I heard you cant just run one because its too much for the MAS. Will this let me use an aftermarket HKS BOV or will I need something like the AEM EMS or something along those lines? Also with this AMS kit I wont need to run a SAFC cuz of the reflash, right? I hear I dont need to plus it wont be too safe.

http://www.amsperformance.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22_111&products_id=898

PLUS+
2.How much are the stock internals and turbo good for on an EVO 8?

So its more like 4 questions but help.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
partymonster975 said:
ok I got 2 questions.
Stick with me this is my first post.

1. If I get this AMS package with the reflash can I run a BOV, I heard you cant just run one because its too much for the MAF. Will this let me use an aftermarket HKS BOV or will I need something like the AEM EMS or something along those lines? Also with this AMS kit I wont need to run a SAFC cuz of the reflash, right? I hear I dont need to plus it wont be too safe.

http://www.amsperformance.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22_111&products_id=898

PLUS+
2.How much are the stock internals good for on an EVO 8?
1a) The package has nothing to do with running a BOV. You never want to run the HKS SSQV unless you have a speed density setup that removes the MAF, such as with an AEM EMS. There's no reason to run a BOV that vents to atmosphere anyway - there is no performance gain, so it shouldn't even cross your mind. You can upgrade the BOV to one that fully-recirculates (aka diverter valve), and that's a good idea whenever you raise boost over stock, because the stock plastic BOV (VIIIs only) leaks as early as 13psi.
1b) No, you won't use an SAFC if you have a flash unless you plan to fine tune yourself when using race gas at the track.
1c) I am not fond of the AMS staged kits, because even though AMS itself is awesome and knows Evos, their packages just aren't very good. That stage 1 only has a cat-back, which isn't great (need a full exhaust), and it has an intake that you don't need. I prefer the Buschur Stg1 package that includes everything you SHOULD get with nothing you don't need:
- Full 3" turboback exhaust w/Bullet muffler
- Forge UNOS MBC (direct boost control)
- Forge RS Diverter Valve (way better than the stocker, but doesn't vent to atmosphere)
- Walbro Fuel Pump (for safety since you'll be running 21-22psi daily)
- Buschur Flash (special mail-in flash made for these mods that includes launch control, raised rev limiter, removal of fuel cut, and idle speed control)
All of that is $1575 with free shipping. It's a lot more for your money.

2) 500-550whp - probably more than you need to worry about for now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
partymonster975 said:
2.How much are the stock internals and turbo good for on an EVO 8?

Warrtalon said:
2) 500-550whp - probably more than you need to worry about for now.
warr, you missed the turbo part. unless theres something really cool that im missing, the stock turbo will handle in the mid to high 300 whp depending on fuel, and tune.

completely agree on the BOV subject though

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Ah yes, well unless they are separate questions, then there is no answer to what he's asking that I know of...

The motor is capable of up to 500-550whp.

The stock turbo is capable of 400whp and a little beyond depending on your mod combo. Most people see 360-400whp with all the bolt-ons + cams + alky.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info guys.

I sort of planned to go up to stage 3 on this AMS stage thing. It covers everything that is in the tunning guide on this forum except for a turbo manifold. What do you guys think? Would this sound good because someone above said that there kits dont really cover it all. I'd also stick to the 680cc injectors cuz I dont think I would upgrade the turbo cuz that would probably mean I would have to get into internals sooner or later. But with stages 1-3 and the 680cc injectors would that not be puching the limits of the stock turbo? I mean i'd probably be getting the car tuned by ams and (possably) be geting an AEM EMS in the far future? But still sounds weird to me. so what you guys think?

http://www.amsperformance.com/store/index.php?cPath=22_111

Also the stage one kit offers a speed density setup but I got no clue about that.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
No, man, that will still not max out your turbo or engine. That would still leave out some very useful items while making you use items you don't need. This is how you max out the stock turbo with no extraneous mods and no wasted money:

- 3" catless TBE
- MBC
- BOV (recirc)
- Fuel Pump
- Cams + Head studs
- Lower intercooler pipe
- Alky injection
- Ported/coated stock manifold
- Ported/coated 10.5 hotside
- Coated stainless steel o2 housing
- "8" heat range plugs (NGK BR8ES gapped to .024-.026)
- Cone filter (I only recommend this when you get near the 400whp level, otherwise the stock airbox is best)
- Custom flash (TechTom instead of EcuTek - costs much less)

This is all you need to get around 380whp/400wtq with great reliability, smooth idle, and no fear of damaging things except your weak stock clutch - should cost about $3500 for all that brand new with the absolute best parts available on the market.

Things you don't need from the 3 AMS stages:
- FMIC (not needed on stock turbo unless in a very hot area like AZ)
- Injectors (also not need on stock turbo - even less so with alky)
- Cam gears (not needed with 264s at all - only useful with 272s/280s if you plan to set them to a certain planned combination, but if set to 0/0, then they're useless)
- Fuel Rail (???? - no way - no need for this on the stock turbo whatsoever)

I have my suggestions on the brand and vendor for all the mods suggested above, so PM me if you want the details. If you just want to put it together yourself and/or want to still go through AMS, just make sure you get that combo of parts. You will have a much faster car with no extraneous, unnecessary parts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
warr, on that above list what would you add if you had a larger turbo, to the tune of a GT28? (concidentally the one that i am using)

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
rammsteinmatt said:
warr, on that above list what would you add if you had a larger turbo, to the tune of a GT28? (concidentally the one that i am using)
- Fuel-related items (injectors at a minimum)
- FMIC w/UICP

That's the only thing, and a flash would still work, but as you move up in the turbo world, you get closer to overflowing the stock MAF. I can't say I've heard of a GT28 on an Evo, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts