Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, i'm thinking of getting an evo 9/MR and had some questions. thank you in advanced!

1) I see that the stock evo has 19? (correct me if i'm wrong) psi and even with a turbo upgrade the psi does not change or it is raised...now is there a way to lower the psi and make the same hp? I see that some other cars raise about 10-15 psi and make about 350-400whp

2) I heard that the higher the psi the more wear and tear goes to the engine...how long does the engine last with a simple warr stage 1? Also how long does it last with a turbo upgrade? I'm thinking about (400-450whp) and of course with a proper tune and maintenance :)

Sorry if it's common sense answers or if it's a repost...hope to join with you guys soon :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
1) 05-06 Evos peak at 20.3psi at 3500rpm and taper to 17psi by 6500rpm. We raise the boost over stock on the stock turbo to 22-23psi on 93oct while adding exhaust and a tune for great power on the IXs. With a turbo upgrade, you by all means will raise the boost. That's the whole point, because larger turbos are more efficient at higher boost levels. At lower boost levels, they make hardly any power - sometimes less than a smaller turbo. You can get 350-400whp on the stock IX turbo pretty easily, so no turbo upgrade is needed, b ut you will be running anywhere from 23-27psi depending on the setup.

2) Well, anytime you are making more power and revving higher, it puts more stress on the motor, but just raising boost itself is not necessarily harmful as long as you do it with the proper tuning and octane. There's absolutely no way to tell you how long an engine will last with certain mods or a random turbo upgrade. That is completely dependent upon your tuning, how well you put it together, how you drive, how often you race, how high you rev, etc etc etc. You could have 400whp and make it 100,000 miles if you never drive hard, or you could have 250whp and make it 3000 miles if you drive stupidly.

Basically, you're way too hung up on boost/psi. That is not really the important factor here for anything. You need to worry about what you want to do with the car, then we can help you get there. Just worrying about boost is not going to help you.

400-450whp is a crapload of power. Are you sure you really want that much in an Evo? Have you had a car with that much power, and do you know why you want that much power? It's much better to have a specific performance goal as opposed to a dyno figure, because unless you know exactly how an Evo performs in that range, then you can't really know if that's what you want. Making 370-400whp on the stock turbo is WAY easier, MUCH cheaper, and FAR more reliable than trying to make 400-450, which would require an upgraded turbo...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see, thank you for your valuable input :)

400-450whp is something I would want later on...probably after 3+ years driving the car w/o pushing it TOO much or if it dies on me...doing it on the second evo.

I got the number comparing from the other cars...looks like celica, rsx, rx8, sti etc etc etc can produce 350+ fairly easily with a turbo upgrade and I just wanted to keep up with them :p ..
But also I would want to run in the mid 11's for a personal goal :)

However, from what you said if 370-400whp with stock turbo is far more reliable then i'd rather take that path!

One more question...what would be some of the mods that I need to climb up to those numbers? (370-400)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything sounds great...but is the alky injection reliable in the long run?

Also would the HKS intake be a good idea to purchase too?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
If you want to spend $300 to make extra noise, then sure. I didn't list it, because it's not needed.

Alky is as reliable as the kit you get, how you install it, and how you're tuned for it. If you don't want to run alky, then you'll need to run race gas 24/7 to get in the upper 300s on the stock turbo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts