Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out today and found the passenger side full of water. The only thing I can think of is the damn drain in the A-pillar froze during the storm yesterday and when it warmed up today the drain was the last thing to melt and all the water it was blocking backed up into the cabin.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

We had one of those rain, freezing raining, ice, then snow things start thursday and go through until late last night. It was fine yesterday (I know because I had to get some junk off the passenger floor board) and today its soaking wet. Today its been around 36 degrees all day and everything is melting.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MR's don't come with sunroofs man. Aluminum doesn't make a good sunroof mounting material :D

I've been doing some searching and I've come across what I think the problem is. Seems on the East coast several 06 MR's have been having a problem with water in the passenger floor board. It was eventually tracked down to a problem with the install of the mitsu guage package. Seems that they either ran it through the wrong gromet, or jabbed a hole in it with a screw driver to push the vacuum hose and wires through and it leaks pretty badly.

What happens is all the wool under the carpet and firewall soaks up the water until saturation, then it starts to pool up in the floor board. Lots of people may have this problem and never know it for months, or at all if it dries enough to never reach saturation.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, coming from up under the dash near the glovebox. Its going to be that stupid gromet or the AC. I dropped it off at the stealership this morning, and they ordered new carpet and sound deadening stuff for the firewall. It was actually frozen to the firewall this morning sigh.

It will probably be 1-2 weeks before I get my car back. It takes at least 5 days to get the carpet and I told them I wasn't picking it up until it was in. The temp is going into the 60's this week and when I pulled the carpet up you could smell the mildew, and I'm allergic to mold.

On the flip side, the dealership is being pretty cool about the whole thing and not hassling me about it.

For the record, this is the second time I've been there for a water problem. The first time was back in November, there was a seal in rear passenger door that was off its track. They replaced the carpet then too, and I thought it was all done with. This is a much slower leak, its probably been building up for months getting asborbed by the firewall deadening material and then the wool unter the carpet before it finally saturated enough for me to notice.

If your wondering how I know its coming from the dash I pulled up most of the carpet and followed the water trail.

·
Registered
70 Posts
that sux to have to turn it back in just as the weather is getting nice again. Hopefully this is the last time you have to take it back in.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll bring it back every 2-3 months for the next 3 years to get the carpet replaced if I have too... or until its fixed haha. I'm persistant

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it was the freaking gromet for the gauge pack. They stuck it under a hose for an hour completely gutted and that's where the leak turned up. The gromet had a gaping hole in it, so they replaced it and resealed it. The sealer is currently drying, the carpet should be there tomorrow, and I should have my car back thursday or friday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts