Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG! Remove half of everything in the engine bay, pull both axels, move the transfer case, struggle with the throwout bearing, just to wrestle out the tranny, to get to the clutch... W.T.F.! This is the worst install I've ever taken on. Mechanics all over the world deserve a raise and a beer.
Thanks evomrguy for your help.
Thanks evotuners for the vent.
I'm getting air tools for X-mas.
I'm going to bed :boring:

·
Registered
79 Posts
and thats why i took mine to mistu to get it done.... someone there told me the manhours it took according to the book to put in a clutch, its something crazy but i can't remember how long.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I wasn't so anal about keeping the nuts and bolts organized and hurting something on the car I think I would have been done by now. The 5 day camping trip didn't help either. :laugh: But the tranny's back on along with the transfer case. It's all down hill from here. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
:) you go Larry. It's about time you put some serious man hours into that car... :tease:

Best of luck getting it wrapped up.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:laugh:
I'll be done today and start putting together a write up. There's a few tricks that need sharing.
I guess I should get off the computer and get back to work.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Keeping the nuts and bolts organized, and being carful so you don't destroy something actually saves you a lot of time.... broken parts and/or lost parts that have to be replaced eat up your schedual real bad :)

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AARRRGGGGHHH!!!
:cry:
I've failed.
Got everything back togther last night, started it up, and there's a really good metal to metal rubbibg sound.
The clutch feels good though.
:cry:

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yea, by the way...
I'M A DORK!
Big thanks to Robert at RRE for "holding my hand" (again) through a clutch petal adjustment.
The clutch feel really good now. I drove it from RRE back to my house mostly on side streets and in some stop and go traffic. For being the 3200 lbs. pressure plate it's very civil. I think the SS clutch line helps a lot.

·
Registered
361 Posts
turbolarry said:
Oh yea, by the way...
I'M A DORK!
Big thanks to Robert at RRE for "holding my hand" (again) through a clutch petal adjustment.
The clutch feel really good now. I drove it from RRE back to my house mostly on side streets and in some stop and go traffic. For being the 3200 lbs. pressure plate it's very civil. I think the SS clutch line helps a lot.

Larry,

Now you scared the shi* out of me because I put my short throw shifter and under hood bushings in last night and I thought that was a PITA! Anywho I am looking at ordering a clutch right now and have been leaning towards ACT which one did you get how much and what all did you order with it?

Good Luck,
John

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you think a short shifter & bushings are bad; stay away from a clutch install. I'll do 100 turbo installs in a row before I remove my tranny again. I'm no pro mechanic, but that job is rediculous.
I got ACT's MB7-XTSS, removed the clutch fluid restrictor, and installed RRE stainless steel clutch line.

·
Registered
361 Posts
turbolarry said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you think a short shifter & bushings are bad; stay away from a clutch install. I'll do 100 turbo installs in a row before I remove my tranny again. I'm no pro mechanic, but that job is rediculous.
I got ACT's MB7-XTSS, removed the clutch fluid restrictor, and installed RRE stainless steel clutch line.
ugh I think I will have to find someone to do it .

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm right with you on this one and let's put it this way; I've done it and I'll never do it again.
The metal noise has even come back, and I'm still not going to do it. I'll tear down as much as I can and recheck as much as I can this weekend, but I refuse to drop the tranny. :mad: If it absolutly has to come off, it's going to RRE.

·
Registered
361 Posts
turbolarry said:
I'm right with you on this one and let's put it this way; I've done it and I'll never do it again.
The metal noise has even come back, and I'm still not going to do it. I'll tear down as much as I can and recheck as much as I can this weekend, but I refuse to drop the tranny. :mad: If it absolutly has to come off, it's going to RRE.

Sorry man that sucks hope it all works out!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just got a ACT's MB7-XTSS clutch, flywheel and steel braided clutch line installed for $500(450 for clutch & flywheel, $50 for clutch line). A lot better price than I had read about! I can finally hold my torque!

·
Registered
133 Posts
took me and a buddy 10 to do mine on a lift with shifter bushings, ss clutch line, andcountless smoke breaks and lunch

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now that I look back on it... It wasn't that bad. :rolleyes:
I think it had more to do with never doing it before. Oh yea and the metal to metal rubbing was the lower tranny sheild on the flywheel. Ground it down just a touch and it's good.
I've gotten over it, reflected on it; I'd do it again. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts