Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Probably not a bad idea. They aren't expensive and it can keep your turbo from being damaged from not cooling down. Unless you like to sit in your car and let it idle until you think it's cooled down, I would do the turbo timer. And you get a lot of wierd looks (and comments sometimes) when you get out of your car and leave it to turn itself off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Warrtalon said:
No, you do not need one for any year Evo, because the turbo is oil and water cooled. The only way you'll damage your turbo is if you go full boost into your parking spot every day then shut the car off immediately.

my turbo is oil and watercooled, so i can do this as well.....
and if somethign goes bad, will you help me pick burnt oil out of my ball bearings?

bottom line, cooling down the car wont hurt a thing, and if you think you're wasting gas, i can assure you, gas is cheaper than a new turbo ceter cartridge

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I always cool down my car, but I don't do it stationary. That's the worst way to do it - in fact, I can watch my oil temps RISE while sitting stationary, especially after coming off the road course. I drive at low rpms off boost before parking, sit for 15-30 seconds, then shut down and leave. No need for a turbo timer and far better than trying to cool things down while idling.

Now, I know that my oil temp is nowhere near the heat of the turbo itself, but I'd much rather have my oil temps down and cool while cooling off the turbo as opposed to relying on a stationary/idle turbo timer to cool me down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts