Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2003 evo and I'm trying to clean up the mess left by the previous owner. It has been to a Mits. dealer but I'm not sure they know what they are doing. When I bought the car it had a Power ECB hooked up,needless to say the first thing the dealer did was yank it out. They said they returned it to stock but now the car will only run about 0.8 atmosphere or around 12 psi. Anybody have any ideas? It has a 3 inch downpipe, 3 inch catback and hi-flow cat converter and buschur intake. I'm getting codes for rich and cat inefficiency. Any help would be appereciated. Keith

'

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
keithsevo said:
I just bought a 2003 evo and I'm trying to clean up the mess left by the previous owner. It has been to a Mits. dealer but I'm not sure they know what they are doing. When I bought the car it had a Power ECB hooked up,needless to say the first thing the dealer did was yank it out. They said they returned it to stock but now the car will only run about 0.8 atmosphere or around 12 psi. Anybody have any ideas? It has a 3 inch downpipe, 3 inch catback and hi-flow cat converter and buschur intake. I'm getting codes for rich and cat inefficiency. Any help would be appereciated. Keith
Well, 11 psi is what the wastegate regulates the boost to if nothing is hooked up. I may be saying it wrong, but 11psi is what you can expect to see if it was hooked up wrong. I think if you get everything connected properly, you will start seeing factory boost levels (19.5 tapering to 16).

·
Registered
74 Posts
sounds like the dealership that sold it to you needs to fix it since they supposedly put the car back to stock.warrtalon is right on with the boost,if its not hooked up right or any at all it will only stay at 11psi.look at your hood on how the boostlines are conected and make sure the pill is still there.as for the hfc none of them ive seen always work right since the o2sensor will still see high temps from it and what you can do is to get a cel fix.sounds like the evo has a walbro pump on it also since youre getting a code for rich condition.looks like the evo you got is gonna need some checking around,try posting on evom if you can locatethe previous owner so you can ask him what else was done to it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried the setup in the diagram and no change. I tried hooking up the Power EBC and had no control over peak boost levels. At one point it hit 2 atmosphere's ! Is it starting to sound like the wastegate actuator is bad ? Any other suggestions ? I think I hit fuel cutoff also, what parameters for fuel cutoff ? Keith

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tore everything apart this weekend and I think the wastegate may be bad.Checked the resistance of the stock wastegate actuator and it is within specs. Hooked 12 volts to it and it will cycle on and off with no problems. Tried the Power EBC and I had no high limit for boost . Checked the solenoid for it and it is working correctly. One question, does the suction hold the wastegate shut or does it open it when applied. The reason I ask is that the stock solenoid is closed when off and the aftermarket one is open when off. I currently have the wastegate hooked to the out of the stock solenoid and the intake nipple hooked to the in of the solenoid with the hose coming from the turbo capped off. With this setup I do not have any upper limit to boost it will willingly go past 1.5 atmos. Is there any way to check the wastegate short of taking it off the car ? Thanksfor your help. Keith

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
While in vacuum the wategate should be shut.
The way you describe above, the wastegate is not seeing boost and therefore not opening. The hoses should run like this;
Run a line from the turbo (compressor hosing) to the wastegate.
Then tee that line.
From the tee run a line to the bottom nipple of the stock BCS.
Connect the top nipple of the BCS to the intake.

·
Registered
29 Posts
by any chance can it be because of the t-fitting???? cuz the one im using is more at a angle then a T!!! sorry for the stupid question

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
WhiteEvoRS said:
by any chance can it be because of the t-fitting???? cuz the one im using is more at a angle then a T!!! sorry for the stupid question

It shouldn't be. I've got the stock lines and tee with the little plastic "pill" or whatever in it. You can borrow them to see if it changes anything.

·
Registered
74 Posts
what kind of ebc do you have cause it might be the setting on it thats making it run wierd.i know on my blitz ebc before you have to either set it on actuator type or wastegate type controller,which for our evo is the actuator type stting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts