Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just wanted to make a 'quick' post to say hello and introduce myself. Up until about an hour ago, I was dead set on getting an 06/07 STi towards the end of the year. But, after weeks of prodding from friends, I decided to research the Evo and give it a shot.

All I have to say is..wow. I looked up performance numbers, initial cost (MSRP), insurance and even mod-to-mod costs...the Evo beat the STi in EVERY category.

Differences:

Total cost: 2,000+ less for Evo
Insurance: 100 + less a month for Evo
Mods: I certainly could get into it here, but I think we all know (including the STi community) that Evo's are made faster, cheaper.
Performance: Faster 1/4 times, better skidpad, better breaking distance and so on.

So, given all that, I don't see how anyone in their right mind would get an STi over the Evo IX (non-RS, non-MR). At least, in my situation I can't imagine that. :) So unless some new information is released from now until the end of the year, it looks like I'll be getting a nice shiney Silver one. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,496 Posts
Basically, we've determined that the only reason to get an STi is if you are getting it as a daily driver and will do no mods, because in stock form, the STi is comparable to the Evo in every way while being more "tame" in terms of drivability, torque, boost response (no lag), etc. It also has nicer interior/features that some people care about.

Performance-wise, there is no comparison once you start modding. Btw, the STi isn't usually less than an Evo unless you get the base IX, and remember that the base IX has no HIDs, which is kind of annoying. The IX w/SSL has HIDs, sunroof, leather, and stereo system, but it costs almost as much as the MR and is the heaviest one of the bunch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Warrtalon said:
Basically, we've determined that the only reason to get an STi is if you are getting it as a daily driver and will do no mods, because in stock form, the STi is comparable to the Evo in every way while being more "tame" in terms of drivability, torque, boost response (no lag), etc. It also has nicer interior/features that some people care about.

Performance-wise, there is no comparison once you start modding. Btw, the STi isn't usually less than an Evo unless you get the base IX, and remember that the base IX has no HIDs, which is kind of annoying. The IX w/SSL has HIDs, sunroof, leather, and stereo system, but it costs almost as much as the MR and is the heaviest one of the bunch.
The lack of HID's will be annoying, for sure. But when I configured either car on their respective sites, (GSR vs. STi) the Evo came to 32,000 and the STi was about 34,600 or so.

I've read the ENDLESS debates over which is better, and I fully understand and agree what you've stated above. I do happen to like the STi interior better. The exterior looks...well, I could go either way. I will say the '05 body style was my favorite, but the '06's are growing on me (STi's).

Either way, I know inevitably, I will mod. Hell, I might get more into track events then I'm thinking now. But...HID's or not, I like the 32,000 vs. the 34,000+. That, and the performance. I've always been a performance guy first over creature comforts and/or 'looks'.

In the end, I'm willing to give up the few comforts the STi has to offer over the Evo for the Evo's superior performance. - Besides, I think the IX interiors look a LOT better than the VIII's. A LOT better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
turbolarry said:
:thumb:
Dollar for dollar nothing beats a 4g63. An Evo plus $2000 in parts... you'll be walking away from the sti everytime.
IMO; HID's are nice, but unless you live in the sticks where there's no streetlights they are really not needed. I'll save the weight;
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo/tech/evoweights.htm
I feel so loved. :) Thanks for all the feedback and input here. I'm doing all I can to get an Evo this month from the Costa Mesa dealership, but I don't know if that's possible.

I have to first sell my current car because the trade-in just won't be worth it. BAH! Hopefully there will be awesome deals like this in the coming months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Just Bought

I just bought an EVO IX from South Coast Mitsu last week and they gave me not only a great price ($30,295 including freight) but they gave me a great deal on my trade. Although I might have been able to get a little more if I sold it privately, it made the whole transaction pretty easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jnathan68 said:
I just bought an EVO IX from South Coast Mitsu last week and they gave me not only a great price ($30,295 including freight) but they gave me a great deal on my trade. Although I might have been able to get a little more if I sold it privately, it made the whole transaction pretty easy.
PM Sent. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Warrtalon said:
FWIW, they've been doing this since January, so it shouldn't be a big deal. The prices were actually another $1000 lower back then, but they're still awesome prices now, too...
I'm hoping that remains the case. Honestly, I doubt I'll be able to pull this off any time sooner than November. I suppose one never knows, but I think I'll cry if I end up having to pay a bunch more by waiting. Life and it's crappy timing. :cry:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
718 Posts
Warrtalon said:
Might as well just buy from South Coast Mitsu in Costa Mesa:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?p=3051073#post3051073

$29k including destination charge for a IX plus TTL, and you should end up below 32k OTD.

How about the EVO IX BR350? Factory warrenty with 350 HP is a pretty good deal in my book and finance the extra performance parts along with the rest of the car :)

You can purchase one here:

Glendale Mitsubishi
Vahik Thmassians
1235 South Brand Blvd.
Glendale, CA 91204
Phone: 818-395-4897

In case you don't know what the EVO IX BR350 is, take a look:

http://www.buschurracing.com/br-evo-350.htm

Good luck,

Keith
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,496 Posts
Hell yeah, man, I'd love a BR IX 350. That's basically a low-12s, factory-warrantied car. The only problem is unless you live near the dealership, it's not covered under warranty. The other Mitsu dealers aren't required to honor the warranty - only the ones who agreed to do the BR packages.

Makes ya wonder, though. It seems like most of the time it's the district or regional rep that denies the claim, so I don't know how the dealership could make any guarantees. They do retain the stock cat and stock boost system, though, in order to increase chances of maintaining the warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Warrtalon said:
Hell yeah, man, I'd love a BR IX 350. That's basically a low-12s, factory-warrantied car. The only problem is unless you live near the dealership, it's not covered under warranty. The other Mitsu dealers aren't required to honor the warranty - only the ones who agreed to do the BR packages.

Makes ya wonder, though. It seems like most of the time it's the district or regional rep that denies the claim, so I don't know how the dealership could make any guarantees. They do retain the stock cat and stock boost system, though, in order to increase chances of maintaining the warranty.
Wow...hrm. Well, the closest Glendale (Humbolt County) is 200+ miles. LA County Glendale is 400+. Hardly close. :(

But dear LORD, that's rad. The other issue is going to be price. I want a car as close to 30k as possible. I'm sure this one is closer to 40k.

Thanks for giving me the info, though...very cool car. :D :thumb:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
718 Posts
SilverIX said:
Wow...hrm. Well, the closest Glendale (Humbolt County) is 200+ miles. LA County Glendale is 400+. Hardly close. :(

But dear LORD, that's rad. The other issue is going to be price. I want a car as close to 30k as possible. I'm sure this one is closer to 40k.

Thanks for giving me the info, though...very cool car. :D :thumb:
The BR 330 and BR 350 packages don't add that much to the cost in and of themselves... but I am not sure what that particular dealership is chargering for "strait off the boat" unmodified EVO's. Can't hurt to give them a call and ask about it.

Keith
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fourdoor said:
The BR 330 and BR 350 packages don't add that much to the cost in and of themselves... but I am not sure what that particular dealership is chargering for "strait off the boat" unmodified EVO's. Can't hurt to give them a call and ask about it.

Keith
Very true. :) But I know, as of now, there's just no 'comfortable' way to get into an Evo at this point in time. I'm content to wait. In the meantime, I'll keep drooling and dreaming. Once I'm closer to my personal goals to meet more specific numbers, I'll start considering the various models. As of now, I'm thinking just the GSR. Don't need the HID's, don't need the 6 spd...and I'd still like the upgrades from the RS.

We shall see. ;)

Thanks again for all the replies!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
better act as quickly as possible and jump on one of the last remaining "raw" evos left. the evo X is coming out in less than a year (beginning of 07) and that thing is gonna be a trainwreck. no more MT, no more fun, no more exhilaration while driving your evo. the X is going to be built to compete with cars like audi and bmw m3. the actual raw, rally-bred, steroid infected evo as we know it will forever be gone!! sheer power replaced by trinkets and technologically advanced gadgets...what a bummer! im definately going to get a IX SE in black...oh baby, i cant wait to get my hands on my collectors item before the X comes out. good luck

T
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top