Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me start off by asking a stupid question. Can the dealers look up a history
on the car to see how hard you drove it? I'm saying no but my friends are all
saying yes.....I'm thinking they are just trying to scare me.

So anyways, I was driving the car hard on the highway, may have hit the limiter in
3rd, definitley was in the redline several times and so when I exited off the highway
it was smoking out of the hood vent.

I pulled off the road and opened the hood and it was pouring smok from behind the motor.

No check lights were on. No visible oil leaks and the temp gauge never moved, stayed in the middle.

So I drove it back to my friends, about 60mph on the highway, trying to stay out of boost
and now there is a noticable wine that raises and lowers with the boost gauge needle.

So I'm thinking that I blew the turbo.

I get back to my friends and check over the motor. Again no leaks under the car. No oil splatter in the engine compartment and the car has stopped smoking.

No smoking out the tail pipe.

As the car is idling in the parking lot, you can hear a light nocking on the drivers side of the motor, barley hear it over the motor and cant hear it at all on the passengers side.

The only visible sign of oil is some light coating on the axel and crossmember behind the motor.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

So on my way home the wining noise starts around 30mph and then fluctuates withe the RPM's. Then when I have to come to a stop, let of the gas the noise lowers with the MPH.

I had to get on the highway and kept it around 60 on a 70mph, then the wining starts to get a higher pitch.

Now its to the point where it a high pitch all the time and the boost gauge reads a little increase in boost but I'm not getting any response out of the tubo.

Guess it was the turbo after all. I'll take it to Mistu on Monday to find out for sure.

Any word of advice with dealing with them?

Any one else heard of a turbo going out this quick?

I have under 7k miles and bone stock.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
It's very rare for the turbo to seize, and I highly doubt you were pushing it as hard as I've pushed my stock turbo after 2.5 years of heavy racing. For the turbo to go out, it would have to be a mechanical defect or maybe oil starvation, but both of those are rarities.

I don't know of a tool that allows Mitsu to review the way the car was driven in the past.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The only way a dealer can tell a car's history is either by carfax or if it's been serviced by the dealer. It could probably be done by vin but is usually done by customer name. Any work done outside teh dealership is not on their records.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only way a dealer can tell a car's history is either by carfax or if it's been serviced by the dealer. It could probably be done by vin but is usually done by customer name. Any work done outside teh dealership is not on their records.
I meant as in could they hook up a computer and see if I redlined the car?

There has not been any work done to the car.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's very rare for the turbo to seize, and I highly doubt you were pushing it as hard as I've pushed my stock turbo after 2.5 years of heavy racing. For the turbo to go out, it would have to be a mechanical defect or maybe oil starvation, but both of those are rarities.

I don't know of a tool that allows Mitsu to review the way the car was driven in the past.
My other thought was a head gasket but wouldn't that be very noticalbe?

What should I look for in a blown gasket or seal somewhere?

·
Registered
143 Posts
My other thought was a head gasket but wouldn't that be very noticalbe?

What should I look for in a blown gasket or seal somewhere?
No, possible turbo blown. I had a same problem past year, over boosting! Check the turbo by removing the intake pipe and if the turbo wheel is loose than you have a problem or just go to the dealer!

·
Registered
361 Posts
+1 Check the shaft play on the turbo..... And as far as worrying about hitting redline you shouldn't, It is there to keep you from entering that "danger zone" and since day one I have drove my car hard with no problems. There is no way Mitsu can tell you have unless you tell them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I picked up my car from the dealership they told me they could tell from the computer how hard I was driving it but I wasn't sure if it was true or not. From your answers it looks like its not true.

·
Registered
70 Posts
some vehicles do have to ability to record some data, but I dont know about mitusbishis. I would simply ask them to prove it to you. It sounds like they are trying to deny you claim right now, so its not like things are going to get worse.

In all likelihood, they cant do what they are saying. that kind of technology becomes very "Big Brother" and gets fought VERY hard in court. Its the reason that OnStar, or whatever it is GM has, is not a factory part but a subscription you sign up for. Its something that really could keep track of where you are at all times.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"It's allways something you never expected."

That's what one of my friends told me the other night and now I believe it.

I took it to Mistu and they say the transfer case is shot. The oil that I saw on the
axels was from a blown seal but that didn't destroy the transfer case, it was just
a bad one.

Then they tell me it's ok to drive my car home and to come back next Monday and
they will replace it.

Makes me a little nervous.

·
Registered
5 Posts
II should have known it was the transfer case but I didn't read the whole post. Coming from an extensive background in Jeeps and off-roading, I know the whine of a ruined transfer case. Last year my brother put a new transfer case in his Jeep but didn't get the right seal put in. The next day on the trail it started leaking. We kept stopping and putting more fluid in but the damage was done. The next day we noticed a whining. A brand new $1000 transfer case ruined in a day.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Be happy they're willing to replace it at no charge.
True, but I feel that they are cheaping out by not giving me a loaner till my car is fixed.

I bet if I push it and get a loaner, they may get the transfer case in before next monday.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry to steer away from the thread but is the slight whine from the motor normal? I bought my IX brand new and right away I noticed a slight whine to it. I've driven 2 03's and one I know what rodded and beaten to hell and that whined real bad, but the other 03 i dont think did.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess I should have updated this earlier.

I did push to get a loaner... a Ford Focus....brown....man it was a beast :)

Anyways they had my car done by that Monday.

So now for some new news. Another seal on the transfer case is shot and leaking oil.

I noticed some smoke comming out of the hood vent as before but not near as much and with no noise as before either. Since it was time for an oil change and not too mention I had a squeaking noise getting worse, I thought I would have Mitsu check it all out for me.

Squeak was a heat sheild and like I mentioned the smoke was from oil leaking out the seal and burning off.

So I've never had this car on any track or any type of race event. I've never launched the car. I'm not saying I havn't broke the speed limit but I don't see why I'm having an issue with this.

Mitsu had told me the origional transfer case was just a bad one, that there was nothing that I could have done to blow it.

I didn't ask about why the seal would go but this is getting anoying.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts