Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i just got a set of the stock evo 8 enkei's and i'd like to paint them black. the debate is this, i've read on evoM that powder coating weakens the metal components of the wheel therefore making it more prone to crack. is this true? and should i just paint it gloss black myself? i do plan on taking a high performance driving class at mid-ohio in the spring, so i want to do what is safe. thanks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
They are probably referring to the baking process they use with powder coating. I don't believe it would effect the wheel at all frankly. The temps they use for powder coating are around 350 degrees F, which realistically shouldn't effect a forged wheel unless there was a flaw in it to begin with.

Now if they where exposing it to open flame, or heating it up to red hot I would agree with them. But there are literally millions of powder coated wheels out there, from the factory and aftermarket running just fine.

Maybe if you had a hamfisted powder coater with little or no skill. I've heard of some backyard powder coaters over heating the metal and warping things, but a pro shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts