Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be geting camshafts after oct. thats when I am going to run my car with my curent mods. I will be geting camshafts at the same time I do my timing belt change whats recomende oem timing belt or after market performance.

My curent mods are in my profile and I want to know what combination camshafts are best suited for me. I see that war has 272i/264e ime guessing he did this because he auto crosses. I am mainly aiming for good quarter mile times. I am thinking of geting the gsc camshafts. I am also geting a turbo upgrade and reflash in the future wich will be a buschur fp 3065.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Definitely look at gettng a straight 272 setup. The gscs work well and the price cant be beat. Turbolarry has a set of gscs and theyve held up well. The only up side to the 264i 272e combo is an idle close to stock. If you dont mind a light lope at idle than the 272s will work great and you get more power. It wouldnt be a bad idea to install cam gears at the same time if your taking them off for the tbelt install. To go along with doing a cam install, and tbelt install you will need a few things. I wouldnt worry too much on what tbelt you run. The factory works well, your cars still running. The high performance ones from power enterprise, toda, greddy, hks that have kevlar may offer some slight advantage/safety margin, but I dont think you need it if your not a race car. Just make sure you dont by some oem replacement one from pep boys, use oem mitsu. You will also need a new balance shaft belt, all the same info for the other belt applies for this one as well. now since your doing the tbelt you will have easy access to your seals, bearings, and water pump. None of these are necessaties to change if they havent already failed, but you may not be checking on these in quite a while so it would be wise to just change them for peace of mind. Also dont forget your accesory belt since youll have it off, rubber belts are rubber belts, if you need to change one you need to change them all. Now this next part applies to your cam shaft install, you will need some type of oil resistant sealant that is mandatory for the install, the copper sealant from pepboys works great. It would also be a good idea to change your valve cover gasket and your cam seals at the same time since you will have easy access to them. Sometimes when disturbing a gasket that is getting old it will tend to leak afterwards so it is cheap insurance to just take care of it. The list of things to buy got long huh? Well look at all of these as suggestions on what you should do at the same time. Except for the t/bs belts, cams, and sealant nothing is mandatory but it is all cheap insurance against the what ifs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
evomrguy said:
Definitely look at gettng a straight 272 setup. The gscs work well and the price cant be beat. Turbolarry has a set of gscs and theyve held up well. The only up side to the 264i 272e combo is an idle close to stock. If you dont mind a light lope at idle than the 272s will work great and you get more power. It wouldnt be a bad idea to install cam gears at the same time if your taking them off for the tbelt install. To go along with doing a cam install, and tbelt install you will need a few things. I wouldnt worry too much on what tbelt you run. The factory works well, your cars still running. The high performance ones from power enterprise, toda, greddy, hks that have kevlar may offer some slight advantage/safety margin, but I dont think you need it if your not a race car. Just make sure you dont by some oem replacement one from pep boys, use oem mitsu. You will also need a new balance shaft belt, all the same info for the other belt applies for this one as well. now since your doing the tbelt you will have easy access to your seals, bearings, and water pump. None of these are necessaties to change if they havent already failed, but you may not be checking on these in quite a while so it would be wise to just change them for peace of mind. Also dont forget your accesory belt since youll have it off, rubber belts are rubber belts, if you need to change one you need to change them all. Now this next part applies to your cam shaft install, you will need some type of oil resistant sealant that is mandatory for the install, the copper sealant from pepboys works great. It would also be a good idea to change your valve cover gasket and your cam seals at the same time since you will have easy access to them. Sometimes when disturbing a gasket that is getting old it will tend to leak afterwards so it is cheap insurance to just take care of it. The list of things to buy got long huh? Well look at all of these as suggestions on what you should do at the same time. Except for the t/bs belts, cams, and sealant nothing is mandatory but it is all cheap insurance against the what ifs.
Now this is what I'm talking about brother. I'm coming to that point when I have to replace my timing belt and things of that nature. I would've never thought of replacing the other things that you mentioned. I'll certainly "get'r done" when the time comes. Definitely some positive reputation points for such a quality response. :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts