Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i won a big american idol bet so im basically lookin at around a grand in winnings. And its for sure goin to my car cause its been a while since i did some mods. I have an 03 with a tbe no cat, step colder plugs, open element filter, forge boost controller, turbosmart bov and thats about it. I wanna be a lil different instead of goin straight to cams and i was thinkin about finishin my exhaust up. Gettin a megan manifold, 02 housing, 10.5 hotside, fuel pump and my much needed mail in flash. Also i was thinkin that i could go external wastegate but it would be stupid to waste the time and money on the stock turbo. Would it be benificial to get a better internal wastegate or not worry about the wastegate? Would that be a good way to go, then look at doing cams, or should i do cams next a ditch the exhaust work... Im lookin for pros and cons of both directions i.e. cams or finishin the exhaust. any help and pointers would be great

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Well, it's ultimately up to you, but whatever you do, be sure to get a tune, because right now you're completely robbing yourself by running around with an open element filter and no tune. That's a lot of mods and money spent to not be very fast. A tune is all you need to take it to the next level.

As for taking a different route than others, I don't think that makes sense. The manifold and o2 won't get you NEAR as much power as the cams. Those are the sorts of things you do after you've done the big power mods and are trying to extract the remaining bits of power on the stock turbo. However, you 100% need a fuel pump upgrade and should already have one, imo. It's potentially dangerous to run around on raised boost without upgrading that stock fuel pump.

I think the best way to spend your money is:

- Walbro 255 fuel pump for $79 shipped
- GSC 272s from Total D for around $440 shipped
- THen either a mail-in Dynoflash for $199 or a custom tune if he's in your area (not sure where you are)

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Warrtalon raises a good point about the fuel pump, especially if your doing multiple pulls and beating on it.
Fuel control is worth considering.
If you sticking with the stock turbo, don't worry about the wastegate.
Will you be upgrading the turbo, besides the 10.5 turbine housing?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea im in south eastern wisconsin so the indivisual tune prolly wont happen unless i spend big dollars and drive down to ams for a weekend.

And to larry, no, id be runnin the stock turbo just with a 10.5 hotside...

but i deffinetly see where clay's comin from with the "trying to sqeeze the last ponies out" mindset and it makes perfect sence. Basically the fuel pump, and tune are a for sure and have been my my eyes for a while i was tryin to find the money. BUt heres my dilema on the whole cam scene. My motor has 48k on it, not too much, thats not the problem, but if i get in there, id do cams, cam gears, new waterpump, and belt while im there, it doesnt make sence for me not to so im lookin at kinda alot of money. Plus while i have the head torn down id want to get it port and polished...but thats not a must like waterpump and belt in my opinoin. what do you guys think on that aspect? Should i keep the winnings, and save and do the cam job in the near future? Or should i do little stuff now with the extra i have left over after the fuel pump and tune... idk like what though... btw, any of you guys goin to the ams swap meet? it'd be really cool to meet some of ya guys

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
CArkid0101 said:
Should i keep the winnings, and save and do the cam job in the near future? Or should i do little stuff now with the extra i have left over after the fuel pump and tune...
Hmmm... next level of mods (cams), or save the money for maintenence (timing belt/water pump) and a major work (porting head). I'll never tell you, "You have to do this," but if I was in your shoes; do as much little stuff as you can, save up some more money and knock out the whole head around 60K.
For now I'm sticking with the stock turbo too. Maybe pick up a spare O2 housing and exhaust manifold and grind away on it. It kills some time and works just fine with the stock turbo. :)

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I don't recommend wasting money on a P&P for the head. The water pump and all that other stuff would be a good idea at your mileage, but you definitely don't need cam gears. It's too bad you aren't read to get flashed, because Dynoflash will be in Chicago all weekend doing custom flashes at discounted prices. He will be giving away the cheapest custom flashes ever, and he's doing it all 3 days of the extended weekend.

You should make your own decisions on how you want to use your money, but you're going to get the most out of cams and a tune with the fuel pump being a necessary safety item. Earlier, I forgot to tell you not to mess with the wastegate - that is senseless in your situation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts