Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fellas. i was wondering if there are any racing harnesses out there that are usable without a harness bar?
something like this
http://www.soloracer.com/wrxstirallye4.html

this is only for autox. i use the lock-the-seatbelt-and-move-your-seat-forward trick now but drove my buddies suby with one of those clip in harnesses from soloracer and loved it.

just wondering if anyone knew of anything out there?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
You don't have to have a harness bar anyway. You can connect to the LATCH system in the backseat.

However, even with my SM-prepped Evo, I don't use a harness. I just use a $40 CG lock, and it's great. I will get a harness after I put in a roll bar or cage, but that's because of my road racing. For auto-x, it's ok to have a harness without rollover protection due to the low speeds, but don't use the harness without rollover protection on track or when daily driving.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wouldn't connect it to the LATCH system, a better idea is to get two eye bolts to put in where your stock tongue and receptor attach. Then you can just clip in your harness when needed while still retaining your stock seat belt setup in the rear. The angle where the harness mounts into the rear is also more where it should be. I'm using a G-force harness for autoX in the longest version they have. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i want to keep my stock seatbelts in the front as well. the eye bolts make sense though. how do you keep your seatbelt beeper from going off constantly while your running?

·
Registered
78 Posts
i want to keep my stock seatbelts in the front as well. the eye bolts make sense though. how do you keep your seatbelt beeper from going off constantly while your running?

Underneath the seat is a white plug that controls the seatbelt sensor, unplugging that disables the sensor. What I do is unbolt the stock latch on the right (17mm bolt) and bolt in the right side of the harness lap belt. Takes about 5 minutes to do it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i have just added my latches to the mounting bolts for the rear seat belts. I think a 4 point harness, crossed in the back and then attatched over your lap would be easy and work well.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
could i just bolt the clips with the stock belt still installed. like the harness attatch point is on the outside of the stock belt attach point but sharing the same bolt?

get what i mean? im probably going to run a 3 pointer and use one of the baby seat mounts on the rear deck as the attach point. i guess you could use a 4 pt one as well since there is 3 of those child seat attach points per side of the car.

·
Registered
70 Posts
yes, my harness is installed with all the factory belts. the only thing I dont like about it is the fact that my shoulder belts join in a Y, and I didnt want to attatch to the baby seat, so I attatched it to the bottom of the left rear seat belt bolt (longer bolt needed I believe) that makes the whole thing slant left, and the Y makes the shoulder straps just barely long enough to attatch. That is why, if I could do it again, I would just get a 4 point with seperate shoulder straps. Mine is actually a five point, I just dont use the crotch belt.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i m not worried about the Y design because it will only be installed during an autox so there will be noone in my backseat so i can use the baby seatmount. 4 point would be jsut as good. any suggestions on a decent, low priced harness. doesnt have to be competition certified just something taht will work for autox.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i m not worried about the Y design because it will only be installed during an autox so there will be noone in my backseat so i can use the baby seatmount. 4 point would be jsut as good. any suggestions on a decent, low priced harness. doesnt have to be competition certified just something taht will work for autox.
Not to be too personal but are you a big guy or small waisted because that will play a role into the decision of what harness to get and how comfortable it is. If you're on the small side, the G-force belts will work fine and you'll be comfortable. If you're on the plus side, the schroth harness will be a better choice because the standard camlock belts tend to ride up on you.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
there arent to many race shops here but ill check it out. theres a guy on evom selling his schroth 4pt for 60 bucks.

im a smaller guy but a couple guys i know have subies with scroth harnesses in them ill try and test fit one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im looking exactly for the same, a better way to keep myself steady in the darn seat :)

Warr: Even with the CGLock I really move a lot around in my seat adjusted as much as I can bear for 7 laps.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i got mine friday and installed it. im gonna do a write up when i get the pictures.

Randy have you tried the seatbelt lock trick? put your seat all the way back, tighten up the belt a little then lock it by pulling on the shoulder strap near the mount then lean forward and lean against the locked belt and move your seat back to your regular driving position. it takes a couple tries to get it just right but it works better than the gc lock that my buddy has.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts