Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm either looking to get a reflash or just pay to get my SAFC2 on a dyno with wideband? Which would be better, I am looking for your personal experiences not someone elses. I will also be getting a 255lph fuel pump before either. I'm not looking for a all out race tune just a street tune that will give me more power, and maybe a little more MPG if I don't put my foot down all the time. Also if you guys have suggestions on any reflashes please leave me a link and your thoughts about it. Thanks for all the help in advance.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,496 Posts
SicLanEvo said:
I'm either looking to get a reflash or just pay to get my SAFC2 on a dyno with wideband? Which would be better, I am looking for your personal experiences not someone elses. I will also be getting a 255lph fuel pump before either. I'm not looking for a all out race tune just a street tune that will give me more power, and maybe a little more MPG if I don't put my foot down all the time. Also if you guys have suggestions on any reflashes please leave me a link and your thoughts about it. Thanks for all the help in advance.
I can definitely give first-hand experience. You should read my response to turbolarry in the thread where he wrote a letter to Turbo MAgazine concerning flashes, specifically their 5-page article on Dynoflash.

First of all, by no means should you choose to get an SAFC then pay someone ELSE to tune it for you. That is absolutely NOT the purpose of an SAFC. If you are going to pay someone ELSE to do your tuning, then you should most DEFINITELY get a flash. It will be MUCH less expensive, while being superior. The purpose of the SAFC is to have control of your OWN tuning so that you can adjust it according to your preferences, re-tune when adding mods, and/or retune on the fly when using race gas at the track. Paying someone else to tune your S-AFC is a waste of money, imo.

Now, if I compare a self-tuned SAFC to a flash, here is what I have to say:

Pros:
SAFC -
1) Can be bought used for very cheap ($200-250) - price includes the suggested patch harness that is usually pre-spliced when purchased used (patch harness keeps you from having to splice factory ECU wires).
2) Allows for self-tuning when adding mods, changing boost, changing octane, or all of the above at once
3) Provides useful monitoring devices (airflow, rpm, tps)
4) Allows for 2 pre-programmed maps, which is good if you want a pump gas and race gas map

Flash -
1) Requires no work and no learning
2) Is proven and will definitely make good power.
3) Very inexpensive for a mail-in flash ($199). Custom flash in person is good, too, and not terribly expensive ($399).
4) Removes fuel cut, raises rev limiter to wherever you desire (7800 default), and can provide launch control at your preferred RPM
5) Has direct control over timing AND AFRs, which is preferable

Cons:
SAFC -
1) Requires additional purchase of logging device and support gauges (i.e. wideband O2 and EGT)
2) Only manipulates what the ECU thinks the MAF is seeing, which then causes the ECU to use different timing maps associated with the AFRs and airflow, so there is NO timing control...just indirect timing manipulation
3) The Evo factory tune is LEAN in the peak torque range (3500-4500rpm), and the only way to lower it is to add fuel. Adding fuel on the SAFC casues lower timing. The end result is you end up making much less peak torque with noticeably less area under the curve (dynograph).
4) Cannot remove fuel cut, cannot raise rev limiter, cannot be used to set launch control

Flash -
1) Not customizable by the customer.
2) Requires retuning with addition or change of mods
3) Not helpful if you want to use race gas at the track - can't retune for it on the fly
4) Have to remove ECU and send through mail then wait for it to return on a mail-in flash...or have to wait for tuner to come to your area for in-person tunes
5) Reprograms the ECU, which can be detected by the dealership on 05s and later

I personally suggest Dynoflash, because I've been extremely successful with his tunes, and because I am now sponsored by him.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I already have a SAFC2 from my previous DSM. I wasn't going to tune it myself because i lack a wideband and a logger at this time. The shop I was looking into will tune it on the Dyno with wideband so i was going to kill 2 birds with one stone, get a tune and a dyno. Also should I get a bigger fuel pump before I do either the flash or the SAFC2 tune? I wish I had the money to do everything right now, but i don't. Thanks for the info, I think the reflash may be the way I'm going to go, since I don't run race gas or mod my car that often.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,496 Posts
SicLanEvo said:
Thanks for the info. I already have a SAFC2 from my previous DSM. I wasn't going to tune it myself because i lack a wideband and a logger at this time. The shop I was looking into will tune it on the Dyno with wideband so i was going to kill 2 birds with one stone, get a tune and a dyno. Also should I get a bigger fuel pump before I do either the flash or the SAFC2 tune? I wish I had the money to do everything right now, but i don't. Thanks for the info, I think the reflash may be the way I'm going to go, since I don't run race gas or mod my car that often.
If you're going to get a flash, I do recommend installing the fuel pump first, else you'll have to get it reflashed again just for the pump. With the S-AFC, it shouldn't matter, because you can always retune after adding the pump. Btw, many of us just tune off narrowband while using a logger. It only costs $100 or so to put together a pocketlogger. Wideband O2s are preferable, but you can still tune pretty well with narrowband and timing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where can i get the logger cables and software? I would like to have one of these no matter which way i decide to go. I think i'm gonna get a fuel pump and get the reflash and then tune the SAFC2 after i get a logger. I have no money at the moment anyway, hopefully that changes after christmas.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
SicLanEvo said:
where can i get the logger cables and software? I would like to have one of these no matter which way i decide to go. I think i'm gonna get a fuel pump and get the reflash and then tune the SAFC2 after i get a logger. I have no money at the moment anyway, hopefully that changes after christmas.

Here you go;
http://students.db.erau.edu/~szabafab/stein/

any Palm m100/500 series (others work too, but I'm not sure which) with a hot sync cable

and a OBD-II interface (T16-003);
http://www.multiplex-engineering.com/interfaces.htm
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,496 Posts
SicLanEvo said:
where can i get the logger cables and software? I would like to have one of these no matter which way i decide to go. I think i'm gonna get a fuel pump and get the reflash and then tune the SAFC2 after i get a logger. I have no money at the moment anyway, hopefully that changes after christmas.
Well, if you don't have any money, I'd suggest holding off on the flash, too. YOu don't really want to get it before you get your mods. You don't want a fuel pump without other mods either. I was just suggesting the fuel pump first on the assumption that you'd be doing all the other basic bolt-ons before the flash, too. You need TBE and MBC at least before the flash and fuel pump. Just doing a fuel pump and flash on a stock car is not the best idea, but the car will get faster. The problem is that if you get mods later, you'll have to pay for another flash.

I do agree that it's a good idea to fine tune on top of the flash with your S-AFC after getting your pocketlogger and reading the SAFC tuning tech guide on here. Remember that you'll need to buy a patch harness to splice the SAFC to so that you don't have to cut the stock ECU wires.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was waiting until after the holidays when I have some money. I already have a catback, Intake, BOV and MBC. The SAFC2 is already in the car and I installed it with the patch harness. Once i finish the exhaust I was going to do the Flash and pump at the same time. I'm on the way it's just getting the money together and getting the rest ordered, I also have my birthday coming up next month and I'm hoping some of my family members will give me some money. Thanks again for all the help and the advice. Thanks for the links to the Software and the cables!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,496 Posts
SicLanEvo said:
I was waiting until after the holidays when I have some money. I already have a catback, Intake, BOV and MBC. The SAFC2 is already in the car and I installed it with the patch harness. Once i finish the exhaust I was going to do the Flash and pump at the same time. I'm on the way it's just getting the money together and getting the rest ordered, I also have my birthday coming up next month and I'm hoping some of my family members will give me some money. Thanks again for all the help and the advice. Thanks for the links to the Software and the cables!
Ok, then in you're in great shape. Your first order of business should be to complete the exhaust. You can get a 3" downpipe and 3" resonated testpipe from Megan for less than $250. There are also many other options out there, but don't spend $250-$350 on a downpipe for no reason. Once you have the exhaust completed, toss in the fuel pump and get the flash. At that point, you'll have 300whp/300wtq at least, and then you'll be able to start tinkering with the S-AFC. You will only need to make minor adjustments, but it will still help you to learn how everything works.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Warrtalon said:
Ok, then in you're in great shape. Your first order of business should be to complete the exhaust. You can get a 3" downpipe and 3" resonated testpipe from Megan for less than $250. There are also many other options out there, but don't spend $250-$350 on a downpipe for no reason. Once you have the exhaust completed, toss in the fuel pump and get the flash. At that point, you'll have 300whp/300wtq at least, and then you'll be able to start tinkering with the S-AFC. You will only need to make minor adjustments, but it will still help you to learn how everything works.

This is why i love this site! Everyone has great advice and are willing to help out! Thanks again for everything!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,496 Posts
SicLanEvo said:
This is why i love this site! Everyone has great advice and are willing to help out! Thanks again for everything!
We just need more people who know a few things and are willing/able to help. Make sure to recommend people here, even if they are newbies who just need help. We aren't marred by vendor supremacy like other sites, so you're able to get great, unbiased (mostly) responses with NO BS attached. LudaChris runs a great site, and Turbolarry keeps things in order with an iron fist! :eek: :sneaky:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Warrtalon said:
We just need more people who know a few things and are willing/able to help. Make sure to recommend people here, even if they are newbies who just need help. We aren't marred by vendor supremacy like other sites, so you're able to get great, unbiased (mostly) responses with NO BS attached. LudaChris runs a great site, and Turbolarry keeps things in order with an iron fist! :eek: :sneaky:

I was and am still a memeber of DSMtuners. I'm not the most knowledgable but I know the basis and I love learning about cars in general. i like to help in any way possible. I don't like some of the other sites for the evos. I have been there and there is too much going on, this site is wonderful and thank you Ludachris for running a awesome site!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
SicLanEvo said:
I was and am still a memeber of DSMtuners... i like to help in any way possible.
I don't like some of the other sites for the evos. I have been there and there is too much going on, this site is wonderful and thank you Ludachris for running a awesome site!
:thumb:
You know how we do it at tuners. All you have to to is respond and share information.
It's crazy going to some of these others sites coming from tuners. I owe everything I know to Ludachris and dsmtuners. :laugh:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
by the way to update this thread why it has been somewhat revived, I have a TBE, MBC, Intake, BOV, and safc2. I need to save some money for some other stuff and then i will have the fuel pump and my flash soon. I like the launch control, but i don't really care about launching it high RPMs. I would like to have the 5k launch like the 05's. Can dynoflash do that on my 03?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,496 Posts
SicLanEvo said:
by the way to update this thread why it has been somewhat revived, I have a TBE, MBC, Intake, BOV, and safc2. I need to save some money for some other stuff and then i will have the fuel pump and my flash soon. I like the launch control, but i don't really care about launching it high RPMs. I would like to have the 5k launch like the 05's. Can dynoflash do that on my 03?
Yes, you can have Al set it at whatever RPM you prefer. However, unlike the 05/06s, you won't be able to disconnect the switch in case you want to remove that 5k limitation. You have to remember that HIGH rpm launches aren't necessarily bad. It all depends on how you use it. A bunch of 5k launchs can hurt your car just as much, because it requires a lot more slipping of the clutch, which heats it up and causes hotspots. You can launch from 6k without dumping the clutch, so don't let that scare you. Maybe 5500rpm would be a nice middle ground. The worst thing would be if you needed to launch hard and were stuck with a 5k limiter that couldn't be turned off...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I did not want to start a new thread since my question is similar to the thread's starter. I have an 05 EVO with TBE and K&N panel filter and JDM DV. I am torn between getting a flash and getting an SAFC2. I want to road race the car in track events. And at the track I will use 100 octane gas. I like the fact that the SAFC allows two maps. I have never tuned a car before but I am willing to learn if soemone in the know is willing to teach me. I read threads about the SAFC and I understand the theory behind it. It is the actual practice that I lack.

I also like the mail in dynoflash since it is reasonable in price. But it seems that you need a fuel pump with the flash, but not with the SAFC2. Is that correct?

Is a fuel pump mandatory with my TBE/kn filter AND road racing? Or is it just a safety issue? I read that the stock pump tends to overheat with aggressive driving. Is that correct?

So should I go with SAFC2 or mail-in-flash for road racing?

One more thing...I have an Innovate LM-1 wideband. Is that enough to tune an SAFC2 with? Or do I need a logger?
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top