Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for this type of post. I know how frustrating it is to see repetitive posts. I currently own a 97 gsx, I love Dsm's and am okay with the frequent maintenance
due to the age. The grass is usually greener on the other side, usually I am wrong, but I am so intrigued by the IX's. It is an awesome car right out of the box and being able to own one of the last models available gets the history buff inside me going. So this is where my dilemma begins. Because I work for an automotive supplier, I am entitled to receive the Mitsubishi VIP Purchase plan on their cars. So my question is: Would this be the deciding factor for you to step up to the Evo?

I am happy with having a low to mid 300hp Dsm and no monthly payment, besides PM costs and mods from time to time. The Evo on the other hand is new and should not have any abnormal problems other than scheduled maintenance. The insurance is one major factor holding me back, $250 a month is sorta stupid to pay just to drive a car. This is not any car though, and I was considering looking at this cost like a membership to a country club. lol.

2006 Lancer Evolution SE
Pricing
Base MSRP:
$33,249
MSRP Destination & Packages:
$625
Premium Paint Charge:
$
Total MSRP w/destination:
$33,874
Dealer Invoice:
$31,212
Dealer Invoice Destination & Packages
$625
Premium Paint Charge:
$
VIP Dealer Cash Incentive:
-$1,750
VIP Purchase Price w/destination:
$30,087
Total MSRP Savings:
$3,787
Does not include tax,title,tags.

I would be putting around $10k down also. Thanks in advance for the replies.
dan

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well you have to ask yourself... do you want an Evo because you can get a deal? Or do you Want an Evo? Your stepping into a whole new realm when you get behined the wheel of one of these. The deal shouldn't be the determaning factor at all. I certainly didn't have any buyers regret but thats because Ive wanted an Evo since they hit the shores. Just make sure you know what your getting into. :laugh: Choose wisely

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Similar to what Darwin's8 said, don't get it if it's only because you think it's a good deal. Yes, that is a good deal, but there are multiple dealerships in CA selling IX SEs for $30,600 to the general populace. This is because they are high volume dealers that push tons of Evos. So, your deal is still $500 better, but it's not necessarily groundbreaking.

Without speaking of price, though, the IX SE is the absolute BEST USDM Evo ever to be made. It has all the best parts of the MR with none of the bad ones without costing a lot. The problem with the previous Evos, even the regular IXs was that you couldn't get the awesome goodies of the MR...without getting an MR. What I mean is things as simple as HIDs. To get HIDs on a regular VIII or IX (05-06), you had to get the SSL package, but then that cost almost as much as an MR, and not everybody wants leather seats, a crappy subwoofer, and a heavy stool roof just to get HIDs. So, now you have the IX SE where you get the Bilstein shocks, aluminum roof, BBS rims, and HIDs. What you don't get is the vortex generator (cheap part you can add) and 6spd trans. No big deal on the 6spd, because the IX 5spd has revised gearing that is almost identical to the 6spd in gear 1-4, but you just don't get that in-between gear in 5th. Also, the 6spd is made by Aisin, not Getrag, and it has shown itself to be more prone to faiure due to gears 4-6 being extremely weak. I'm one example of many recently where 4th gear has completely fallen apart - I now have a 5spd with IX gearing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't know, I miss my old 98 eclipse... but it was sold a long long time before I bought my evo.

The suspension on the evo is much better, the MIVEC things is great, and 4 doors don't hurt either.

But if you want a new IX, you might want to hurry since they aren't being made anymore.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes, please....Hurry hurry hurry, then it 3 months when I'm ready to buy and you've figured out you can't afford the payment with insurance I'll sweep in and buy it from you with the big hit on price already taken for me. :)
This isn't directed to you, it's just a comment on what I continually seem to see with these cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I acualy didnt have a huge desire to have a EVO when i got my IX SE. I just wanted what i consider to be a reliable modded dsm with a warrenty. My last dsm had 550's , fmic and a evo16g (plus other crap) I figure I got all that and its enginered to work properly.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I believe this to be true for a lot of us who came from DSM's. :thumb:
It's exactly true for me. All 3 of my 1Gs ran 12s but were problematic, and 2 of them had 16Gs with FMICs. The Evo was a better built, new car that had a bigger 16g than any of my DSMs, already had an FMIC, already had 550cc injectors, had a great suspension, and had a warranty. It was a no-brainer...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know what you mean. I had a 2g N/A that wasn't a big deal but then I sold that car and got a 1g talon TSI AWD and I was like now im going to have some fun but wow I was wrong I got the car 1500 and after re-doing all of the Inside and having 1500 in motor work done and then right after that the clutch goin out I said to Hell with it. I sold it and then got a 98 chevy Z71 truck. After having that I got to looking around I went 100% on the EVO IX.

I know that just the fact of owning a pice of history is one of the best things about the car. :dsm:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts