Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to share my experiences with my skid plate. I found out the factory underpanels are garbage really quick, so I bought a skid plate for my Evo. I put on a drive for my car club to Mount St. Helens last month. On this drive, I bottomed out my Evo a couple of times. (Found out winter was pretty hard on the roads this last winter.) The skid plates saved my car. If I would have had the stock under panel or no underpanel, my IC, DP, and tranny would be toast. With the skid plate, I just had to take it off and beat it out. It bent around the tranny, and bent the rear skid plate flange.
The skid plate I am running is a Beatrush underpanel from Kami speed. When I first put it on, I noticed a huge difference in high speed handeling. Even going down the freeway I noticed a difference. It is also adjustable, and a perfect fit to the 8 and 9 front end. I would recommend this product to anyone. The only problem I have with it, is I have to take it off to change the oil. Here is a picture of it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sorry, I forgot to add that. I Have the Perrin FMIC. The Perrin FMIC is one of the biggest you can get, and it fits great with this skid plate. I have a Perrin DP that fits also.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
The Perrin is one of the largest you can get? Are you sure? They make pretty generic stuff...not usually huge race-oriented FMICs and such. Did you have to remove the crash beam and do any cutting? I ask, because you have to do that with the larger BR FMICs. They don't even fit with the stock plastic undertray.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that Perrin does make some generic parts. But there IC is very nice. I did have to take off my undertray and front reinforcement for the IC. I made a aluminum reinforcement, and got this skid plate. Kami Speed guaranteed me that this skid plate will fit my IC. I can put up there link if you would like. At the time, this was the only skid plate I could find that covered the whole front end. I don't know how this site is on putting links up to other sites.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Well, I don't need to get the Beatrush from them, so that part's not important. I have a supplier for it, but I haven't gotten one since I will be going with a large FMIC for road racing and don't have confirmation if the two will fit together.

Supporting local companies is ok, but not that great of an idea when it comes to parts. I can't stand perrin, because they don't actually support the Evo community. They just make generic parts and sell them - so many Evo owners buy that stuff, but I have no idea why. I don't know where they're seeing the advertisements or fast Evos running all Perrin stuff (doesn't happen). Anyway, I digress. I do the same thing of trying to support local companies, but I only get my parts from proven companies like Buschur when feasible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Warrtalon said:
Well, I don't need to get the Beatrush from them, so that part's not important. I have a supplier for it, but I haven't gotten one since I will be going with a large FMIC for road racing and don't have confirmation if the two will fit together.

Supporting local companies is ok, but not that great of an idea when it comes to parts. I can't stand perrin, because they don't actually support the Evo community. They just make generic parts and sell them - so many Evo owners buy that stuff, but I have no idea why. I don't know where they're seeing the advertisements or fast Evos running all Perrin stuff (doesn't happen). Anyway, I digress. I do the same thing of trying to support local companies, but I only get my parts from proven companies like Buschur when feasible.
I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
turbolarry said:
:thumb:
Who hasn't?
That undertray/skid plate is nice. Come to think of it my stocker has seen better days. :rolleyes: How's the installation?
Besides the instructions being in Japanees. It is pretty easy. The first time I put it on, it took me about an hour. It was a little difficult going by the black and white pictures.

·
Registered
70 Posts
the beatrush(?) attaches lower on the bumper than the stock undertray.

if you do install one be aware that your down pipe is lower than anything else under the motor.
it will rub unless you take care in installing a little spacer piece that does not show up on the instructions. the net effect is to warp the underpanel around the pipe.

it does require removing the back piece to drain the oil. it is easy though, even the guys at the speedy oil change can manage it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nothere said:
the beatrush(?) attaches lower on the bumper than the stock undertray.

if you do install one be aware that your down pipe is lower than anything else under the motor.
it will rub unless you take care in installing a little spacer piece that does not show up on the instructions. the net effect is to warp the underpanel around the pipe.

it does require removing the back piece to drain the oil. it is easy though, even the guys at the speedy oil change can manage it.
I just went out and checked my clearance. I have about two inches from the skid plate to the DP. Are you sure you put the brackets in the right places?

·
Registered
70 Posts
wartalon,
never have had a large fmic to know if it would fit or not. the stock pan is not flat. if your fmic is higher than the bottom of your bumper it should fit.
look at the picture above, the "B" pan is level with the bottom of the bumper.

jaymzz,
hmm I can't see how it could mount any different. from the attachment of the wheel well liners to the bumper no other way to mount it.. Just that little "L" piece (spacer) that holds the pan low in that one area.
right now the car is having a head replaced. (now there is a modification I could have saved some money on.) so can't look again to verify. maybe I have a freak downpipe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts