Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner

Smoking an STI

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  raceguy05 
#1 ·
Finally got a good race against an STI. It was from about a 20mph roll and we were both in 1st. My friend Brandon was driving my car. The Sti didn't have anyone with him. I yelled "punch it" out of the window and the STI hits it first. Brandon waited for him to go first just to rub it in his face, LOL! Well we row through the gears and caught up to him in 2nd and went into 3rd, then it was good bye. We pulled a car length in front of him. It was awesome and good driving on Brandon's part. I am currently putting down 285ish on my buddy's datalogger dyno. One run yeilded 311. It is really accurate.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
thats nice to hear...I spanked one pretty bad on the highway with my GST...I had about 340-350hp...not at the wheels though.

But then don't get cocky...there will be plenty of STi's that are really fast too.

#3 ·
It's all in good fun though. I never take it to seriously. The guy with the STI is a buddy of mine. I usually only race against someone only if I know them. That way there is no trouble.
Good advice though. It is never good to get cocky. There's always a faster car.

#10 ·
I spoke to the guy with the STI. He was kind of disappointed that he doesn't have the money to mod it up to beat me. Oh well. Better luck next time for him. I had to set him straight after he smoked a black EVO in town 3 times from a stop. It was fun. Actually my buddy set him straight since I was a passenger that night. It's all good fun, LOL.

Anyone else have any good race stories?

Forgot to mention that his STI is stock.

#13 ·
I had the same problem when I was in Twentynine Palms, CA. It's sea level here in AZ, but it is like 5000 or 6000 above there. I thought something was wrong with the car, like bad gas. It was just the elevation though.

What makes the STI so snappy is there bigger displacement. That 2.5l spools the turbo up super quick and makes alot of low end grunt.

I want to do a stroker kit on the evo in the far future.

#14 ·
bpclements said:

Tons....

GTI (mine boosting 25-23psi, current mods) vs. EVO RS (not sure what was done but it had APS FMIC, exhaust and i thought I heard a wastegate (turbo upgrade maybe?)

Run 1.
30(3rd)-90ish
me by a half of a fender
Run 2.
Stop-60
Him by alot due to wheel spin.
Run 3.
50-100
again walked me

GTI (mine 20psi 2nd day after breaking in new turbo minus the AVC-r/AfcII) vs. SRT-4 stage 2 with turbo toys (a friends)
run 1
stop-80ish me by about 3 cars (miss shift on his part)
Run 2
Stop-110 Tie
Run 3.
30-??? This was just for fun and we both were in 2nd, we both punched leaving 4 nice patches/strips of freshly burned rubber, and went until we top out. I had him until about 115, then he took me from there on as I shut down and he kept going, later on I found out he hit 155ish (psycho)

GTI vs. STI (cobb stage 2, brothers)
Walked every try.... :(

2002 Eclipse GT w/ rippmods supercharger, Venom nitrous (50 shot, wet), Custom exhaust all in all about 390whp... (my car before the GTI, alot went into this car to make it run 12.03 best out of a auto, then it got totalled in the snow) vs. Single turbo 62-2 ported, 600+whp on pump gas 97 supra (friends)

Run 1
50-100 I win by 2 cars aint turbo lag a bitch.... (supercharger+n2o= sex on the street)

Run 2
Drag strip
me 12.11 him 11.3 on street tires

Run 3
20-80ish him by about 6 cars.

Those are the main outstanding races that I can remember. I can elaborate on any if you would like.

#15 ·
bpclements said:
One of my many but I think my best has to be when an older guy with a ZO6 challenged me. I posted it in tuners a while back.
The guy was going down the road and I pulled out from my instersection sideways and got behind, I wanted to play but wasn't gonna go out of my way to race him, I had a day of driving with my friends ahead of me. He dropped to I think 2nd and started dipped hard into the gas letting his V8 rumble bounce off the trees around us. I pulled into a gas station then he made a quick turn into it at the other end then pulled up beside me and said, "You trying to race that little scooter?" Matt (my buddy in the car with me) and I laughed, "Sure, lets go from a launch." He agreed and told me to follow him. We went down this road and turned around. We lined up and my buddy Matt said on your mark, get set, go. When Matt said get set the vette started creepin forward, no biggee. When go was said, man it was over. He was about 1/2 car on me when I dropped the clutch, I made up that half car and put another 1.5 cars on him easy. 2nd gear gave me atleast two cars then 3rd we were about even grabbed 4th and he pulled a little, I relined 4th (1/4mi end for me) and I shut down with him about a car behind. I pulled over and he said he couldn't get traction and wanted to go again.
We head back up and do it again, this time he creeps some more. His assho!e got hurt on this one. I launched hard and spun all four past him, by the time I grabbed 2nd i was 2cars on him easy. 3rd came and went with a 4car lead. 4th was grabbed and again he started pullin a little. I won again by about 3cars.
I pulled over and pulled up beside me and said, "Thats a quick little hot rod you got there." I said thanks and we went our way.
Funny I went from being a little scooter to a hot rod. Hahah
This race happened on my 12.5 set up. Since I have added cams among other goodies

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.