Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well here's some questions I couldn't find the answers to after searching.

Background: This car is going to be a DD and I want to keep it fairly stock inside and out which means limiting gauges keeping it quiet and keeping it under warranty. Fortunately the dealer I bought from works with turbotrix so the dealer warranties anything turbotrix does.

I plan to get: walbro 255lph, licp, mbc, electronic exhaust cutout, and a reflash, oh and peak and hold boost gauge.

I want the electronic cutout because I will be entering the business world in the summer and do not want co-workers or bosses seeing/hearing my car and thinking its a dumb loud rice burner. So keeping stock appearance and sound for exhaust is a huge concern.

Ok, now the questions. First, should I get a 3" downpipe and get a cutout welded into that, or will welding a cutout into the stock downpipe be just fine?

Second, if the ecu is reflashed with the assumption of having a high flowing exhaust (the cutout open) will it be bad for the car if I drive around with the cutout closed? I plan on having it closed the majority of the time and really just opened for at the track. Or, if I drive around with it closed, will it not matter that it's flashed based on having a high flow exhaust as long as I keep it at stock boost levels? Pretty much I'm trying to find out if it will be bad having the ecu flashed for one set of modifications and driving around at another or not?

Finally, I have a brand new zeitronix wb for my rs-t and am wondering if it is worth getting another wiring harness and having a bung welded into the downpipe just so I can monitor a few things when running at the track? I'm thinking this is probably a good idea.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
1) It is not a good idea to have a cutout with a tune for an open exhaust then to go and drive around with it closed. There really is no remedy to this unless you make an electronic cutout that opens at WOT, in which case it would be closed whenever you are in closed loop operation (low throttle), so the tune wouldn't matter. When going high throttle, you'd enter open loop operation in the ECU, and the cutout would open.

2) That dealership may work with TurboTrix, but there's no way they can automatically waranty anything TurboTrix does, because those parts (and service) are NOT OEM parts and are not installed by Mitsu. The dealership may attempt to warranty as much as they can, but if there's anything big that has to go through the District or Regional rep, then it will all come crashing down. In the end, it doesn't matter what the dealership says, because they can be denied by the rep for anything.

3) I would definitely recommend using the Zeitronix on the Evo for logging purposes (live and recorded). It is a great idea to weld a bung in the DP for your wideband.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) It is not a good idea to have a cutout with a tune for an open exhaust then to go and drive around with it closed. There really is no remedy to this unless you make an electronic cutout that opens at WOT, in which case it would be closed whenever you are in closed loop operation (low throttle), so the tune wouldn't matter. When going high throttle, you'd enter open loop operation in the ECU, and the cutout would open.
I was afraid of that. Now I just found a post of yours on evowned where you talk about ecuflash and evoscan

"My suggestion would be to sell it and get EcuFlash for $90. It has every feature possible, directly flashes the ECU, allows you to have as many maps as you want, and retains the factor knock/timing control. Then, get EvoScan, which is a $15 logging software that uses the same cable as EcuFlash." -Warrtalon

So EcuFlash allows as many maps as you want? would this mean that you can have one map saved for when operating with the cutout open and one for it closed that you could switch between? I know EcuFlash and EvoScan are more for those that know how to tune themselves, but if this shop who's work is warrantied (for the most part I would check with the dealer first) knows how to use the software, then I would be able to have them tune it and I would have the ability to switch between the maps when I wanted.

If not, I will sacrifice some power for keeping the exhaust stock or come up with another alternate. For now, it has plenty of power on hand to have fun with for me.

Thanks for the help warrtalon :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
The stock downpipe sucks donkey nuts. Ditch it. If your concerned about sound, but still want the highest exhaust flow; a 3 inch downpipe, a high flow cat, and a catback system that includes a quality muffler and resonator. The cat will soak up some noise and so will the resonator. Make sure the resonator and muffler are straight through perferated core and you will not sacrifice flow. You will probably notice a slight noise increase over stock, but nothing that will turn the boss' head every morning.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
TurboTrix uses EcuTek to flash IXs, so that would not work for you unless they agreed to use EcuFlash. I have not heard of them doing that before, and they charge $500, I believe, for IX custom tunes (on their dyno). Also, there's no way in hell any dealership can warranty an Evo that has been flashed - it's just not going to happen. Changing the fuel and timing tables while altering the rev limiter and launch control...it's just not feasible for any dealership to provide a warranty on such a car. Mitsu automatically denies any warranty claims on an Evo that has had its ECU tampered with. I think that you're really barking up the wrong tree if you expect to keep your warranty while modding - it's just not likely. I won't say impossible, but we're talking 99.9% unlikely. You may get a light bulb replaced for free, but don't bother going in with a clutch, transmission, or engine-related problem.

Yes, with EcuFlash, you can have one, two, or ten maps...however many you want, but you'd have to get custom tuned for each map for each situation. I personally have 4 custom tuned maps from Dynoflash for the different types of racing I do: autocross (112oct), road racing (91+alky), drag (112+alky), and daily (91+alky). Each map is different, and I just have to switch maps using my laptop. You cannot just have maps that switch on the fly for when the cutout opens. You could, however, have a map for the stock exhaust and one for the cutout being open, then switch between them whenever you want, but it would require stopping and reflashing yourself with the laptop - can't do it on the fly. EvoScan is just logging software, but it doesn't provide wideband AFRs unless you tie in a wideband o2 (e.g. AEM UEGO).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could, however, have a map for the stock exhaust and one for the cutout being open, then switch between them whenever you want, but it would require stopping and reflashing yourself with the laptop - can't do it on the fly.
ok that I understand, it would more so be bring my laptop to the track with me.

TurboTrix uses EcuTek to flash IXs, so that would not work for you unless they agreed to use EcuFlash. I have not heard of them doing that before, and they charge $500, I believe, for IX custom tunes (on their dyno). Also, there's no way in hell any dealership can warranty an Evo that has been flashed - it's just not going to happen. Changing the fuel and timing tables while altering the rev limiter and launch control...it's just not feasible for any dealership to provide a warranty on such a car. Mitsu automatically denies any warranty claims on an Evo that has had its ECU tampered with. I think that you're really barking up the wrong tree if you expect to keep your warranty while modding - it's just not likely. I won't say impossible, but we're talking 99.9% unlikely. You may get a light bulb replaced for free, but don't bother going in with a clutch, transmission, or engine-related problem.
I know what you're saying. I was told at the time of purchase they warranty any work done by turbotrix, as long as you inform the service department of what you are having done, but I will have to look into whether or not a reflash is covered. Anyways, thank you guys for the help it's good to know for future reference.

edit: on a side note, I find it interesting that TurboTrix charges more for a mail-in flash on a IX then for a custom flash on the dyno

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
They shouldn't charge more for a mail-in flash...are you sure about that? A mail-in Dynoflash is only $200, for instance, so I can't imagine a TT mail-in flash being over $500. Are they really that expensive?

Oh, I see, so the caveat is "as long as you inform the service dept of what you are having done." Well, that should limit things significantly. Plus, like I keep saying, regardless of what the dealership says, it only matters what the district rep says when he finds out you have mods and need a big warranty job done. Also, no other dealership would be bound to that agreement. I would make absolutely certain you have the agreement in writing on official letterhead. This is a very touchy subject with Evos and Mitsu warranty work if you can't tell already, hah...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They shouldn't charge more for a mail-in flash...are you sure about that? A mail-in Dynoflash is only $200, for instance, so I can't imagine a TT mail-in flash being over $500. Are they really that expensive?
Unless if there's an error on their site, but here's a direct quote from their website...

"In house custom ECU is $500 on our AWD dyno (by appointment only). We also offer mail-in flashes for $300(evo 8) and $550 (evo9)+ shipping."

Oh, I see, so the caveat is "as long as you inform the service dept of what you are having done." Well, that should limit things significantly. Plus, like I keep saying, regardless of what the dealership says, it only matters what the district rep says when he finds out you have mods and need a big warranty job done.
If in fact they do cover something like that, I wonder if the dealership just eats it if it's not approved by the district rep. I was under the impression that when dealerships do warranty work they are paid out by the manufacturer. If that's the case then they might warranty it, but will be the ones paying for the cost of repairs and not be receiving any money from mitsubishi.

Also, no other dealership would be bound to that agreement.
That I was under the assumption of and was told that this is the case when I purchased the car.

I would make absolutely certain you have the agreement in writing on official letterhead. This is a very touchy subject with Evos and Mitsu warranty work if you can't tell already, hah...
Good advice

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Wow, that's a ridiculous price for a mail-in flash, but if they are using EcuTek, then they have no choice, because there is a required EcuTek license that costs a lot. Usually, the minimum cost for an EcuTek flash w/license is $650, so since they are charging $500/$550, I could be wrong. Initially, they were only using EcuTek on IXs while using TechTom on VIIIs (no license required, thus cheaper), but things may have changed since the IX software first was released. TT has really been on the down low for several months now, so I'm not sure what they're up to.

Yes, when a dealership does warranty work, they get paid normally by Mitsu for the cost of doing the job according to the books. I cannot imagine them being willing to do repairs and pay for parts out of their own pocket - that would be amazing.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Here is my own experiance using a cutout from QuickTime Performance http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/ on my wifes WRX for almost 2 years now. I had it tuned using the cobb accessport with "StreetTuner" software on a load bearing dyno with the cutout open, using the dyno's wide band O2 sensor. After tunning was complete we did another couple pulls with the cutout closed. There is a significant drop in spool up and power with the cutout closed, and the car ran a bit richer, but not dangerous by any means (still better A/F ratio than stock was)... and I or my wife drive the car on an every day basis with the cutout closed on that tune with zero issues. I am using the quicktime performance down pipe with integrated cutout on her car and love it! With the stock cat back exhaust in place the car is very quiet for normal driving, but when you open the cutout it is VERY loud.

I would recomend you get the quicktime performance coutout and have it welded into an aftermarket downpipe and do the same type of tune. Get it tunned with the cutout open, and then do a few more dyno pulls with the cutout closed to verify that the EVO reacts the same way the Subaru did to closing the cutout. If that is the case you are golden!

One other thing, quicktime performance has been trying to develope there own downpipe for the EVO with an integrated cutout, you may want to call them and ask about it... sometimes there web site lags behind on developments like that.

Keith

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info Keith that's some interesting stuff

edit: they're also only like 40 minutes from my house, sweet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I found the solution to this problem. Currently there's a production delay, but
basically it acts just like a wastegate for your exhaust and opens under boost....

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-ACS-010&Category_Code=BCS

This is exciting. Now I just have decide whether or not to get one for the stock downpipe or go with a 3" dp. Hopefully there's room under there and hopefully they come back in stock somewhat soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts