Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to remove the momo steering wheel from their evo?

I aquired a evo 9 black steering wheel and want to swap it out, I disconned the battery (didn't want the airbag to exlpode in my face) and goofed around trying to take off my steering wheel but the I couldn't get the large hex bolt loose, might try a breaker bar later.

Any pointers would be helpful. I've removed steering wheels before but this is a slightly different setup that what I've seen before.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Good question I would like to know also but I need to get my airbag out to put into my evo 9 wheel. If you come up with something let me know!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I looked this up on my shops tech manual, and it only shows a hex head bolt coming in through the driver side holding the wheel on. It shows it has to be a 3 in long, 8mm hex socket. Seems almost too easy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Be VERY careful when dealing with the airbag. Wait like an hour or more after un-hooking the battery, to be on the safe side. The airbag has capacitors in it, so it can still go off even after disconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Instead of waiting an hour you can pump the brakes repeatly to sap the last bit of current out of the system.

When removing the s. wheel there is also the steering lock mechanism you have to mess with, its not too hard but they put locktite on the hex nut from the factory so breaking that hex bolt is a pain. Just find yourself a big pipe or breaker bar and you should be set.

It took me about 20 minutes to switch it all over once I found my breaker bar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts