Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks. I may just be paranoid, but it seems like the steering wheel on the SE is vibrating more than it did on my RS. The tire pressures are right on, the car has a fresh alignment that was done with me in the driver's seat, and the vibration happens at all speeds above ~20mph. It's not a violent vibration; it's relatively minor compared to a tire being out of balance or braking with warped rotors. It happens on all road surfaces, even on smooth, freshly paved tarmac. As I have no other Evo to compare this to at the moment, I'm hoping you guys could tell me if yours does the same thing. I'll be taking in the car to the dealer on Monday for an oil change and I'd hate to have him take the car for a road test if it isn't necessary. TIA.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Geez, guys, I'm beginning to feel like the poor relative at a family reunion - no replies to my last two threads. I'd just like to know if your Evos' steering wheels vibrate a little during the course of a drive, even on very smooth roads. I can't really rely on my memory of the RS I had, so I'm hoping for some feedback.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
06evors said:
No vibrations with my Momo

Jared

Thanks, Jared. For a while, there, I though I was being a paranoid weenie.

Now, let's consider the possible causes. The two that come to mind are a tire that's slightly out of balance and a rim that's not 100% true. Am I wrong in assuming that a tire that's not 100% balanced would cause a shake at a specific speed?

To be clear, it's not a violent or even a semi-violent shake, but it's definitely there. After 1/2 hour of driving, for example, my hands feel like they were acting as shock absorbers for the vibration.

Felix

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have an 03 evo 8 and i feel vibrations on my steering wheel sometimes...its weird, sometimes its there sometimes its not but when i hit 120mph and up i feel it really bad... but for my situation i think it may be my tires... i was gonna ask about it too... hopefully someone with more knowledge on this can help

·
Registered
203 Posts
Since you have an oil change on Monday I would just let them worry about it till then. I'm interested in seeing whether or not they'll replace something if there is a part thats broken (unlikely). Seeing how Mitsu is stingy on warranties depending on the dealership.:thumbdown

Jared

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Does the frequency of the vibration go up with a rise in vehicle speed, or does it change with a change in RPM? If no to both of those then it is unlikely to be wheel/tire/rotor related (question one) or engine/transmission/transfer case related (question two) and I would suspect a problem resulting from your recent alignment.

Keith

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fourdoor said:
Does the frequency of the vibration go up with a rise in vehicle speed, or does it change with a change in RPM?
Hi, Keith. The answer to the questions is a No, as you suspected. The vibration is a constant.

If no to both of those then it is unlikely to be wheel/tire/rotor related (question one) or engine/transmission/transfer case related (question two) and I would suspect a problem resulting from your recent alignment.
FWIW, it was there before the alignment and I thought it was due to the car being slightly misaligned, but no such luck.

I spent several hours last night driving at various speeds and paying attention to the vibration. As it turned out, it's just slightly higher in magnitude at speed than it is at idle (with the car stopped), so it may be my imagination after all. I mean, if there's actually is a problem, the only logical conclusion - given the circumstances - revolves around defective bushings. Is that right, or is there something I'm overlooking?

I imagine that your steering wheel vibrates slightly at idle due to the motor rocking on its mounts. Is that same vibration present at speed on your car?

Normally, I wouldn't be as concerned at this point, nor would I be acting like such a wanker and give it some time, but I'll be putting the Evo away for the Winter in a few weeks and I'd like to take care of all issues before I do so.

Thanks,
Felix

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For whatever reason, I felt that the RS I had before didn't vibrate the wheel as much and I was concerned about the brand new SE. I decided it was all due to my gripping the wheel a little too hard, most likely due to post-accident trauma. To put it bluntly, I was a little too stiff for my own good. I'm ashamed to admit that once I relaxed, I never gave it another thought. Thanks for the post, nonetheless.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have steering wheel vibration as well, and suspect that it may be caused by rims that went over a speed bump too fast. Get your wheels balanced and see if that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts