Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, trying to find out what the stock boost level of the 03 evo 8? I put a boost gauge this weekend and it spikes to 18 and back down so I am not sure of the lvl. I know on my dsm the stock controler wa smest up and it could never do the acurate boosting until I put a MBC. Now I have a greddy profec B spec 2 I plan to put on this weekend but I want to make sure what the stock level is before I install it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
turbolarry said:
Sound about right. 18-19 psi., then it tapers down to 16 psi. by 7000 RPM's.
I see, what do you recomend for a 2nd boost setting? currents mods are, walbro pump, 3" exhaust system, dp, testpipe, intake with cone filter, greddy bov, chipping in a month or so. I thought of doing 20 psi but from 18 to 19 that's not much :). So perhaps 22 if i can take it.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
sairaag said:
Always 94 from Sunoco
A maximum peak/spike of 22psi in 3rd gear or so would be fine on 94oct. Try not to go any higher.

Btw, there is no "chipping" in the Evo. Make sure you get tuned properly for all those mods, because they can hurt more than help without tuning. I also wouldn't run that boost until tuned for it either.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
sairaag said:
Always 94 from Sunoco
:cry:
It's not fair.
... and it's probably cheaper than the 91 oct. I'm stuck with.
With basic bolt ons I was getting a little knock at 22 psi that I couldn't tune for (91:cry: ) I lowered it to 21 and it was gone. With your 94 oct. 22 psi should be OK, but like Warrtalon said; Get some way to tune and monitor your engine ASAP.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Warrtalon said:
A maximum peak/spike of 22psi in 3rd gear or so would be fine on 94oct. Try not to go any higher.

Btw, there is no "chipping" in the Evo. Make sure you get tuned properly for all those mods, because they can hurt more than help without tuning. I also wouldn't run that boost until tuned for it either.
Sorry I ment flashed but I plan to run for now 19 or 20 until I am properly tuned.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
turbolarry said:
:cry:
It's not fair.
... and it's probably cheaper than the 91 oct. I'm stuck with.
With basic bolt ons I was getting a little knock at 22 psi that I couldn't tune for (91:cry: ) I lowered it to 21 and it was gone. With your 94 oct. 22 psi should be OK, but like Warrtalon said; Get some way to tune and monitor your engine ASAP.

Well should i flash or use an AFC? I still have my S-AFC from my dsm and I was pretty damn good tuning it with my pda :)

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
sairaag said:
Well should i flash or use an AFC? I still have my S-AFC from my dsm and I was pretty damn good tuning it with my pda :)
Ok, sneaky newbie, I see you trying to slip that question in without doing a little search first. :nono: :p

We've absolutely beaten this question to death. Hopefully this thread is useful to you:

http://evotuners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=763&highlight=safc

The SAFC is ok, but it will hold you back quite a bit...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Warrtalon said:
05s and 06s hit 20.3psi peak at 3500rpm or so and drop to 17psi by 6500rpm.
Question with a MBC or Electric BC the psi will not drop at high rpm? or will it still lower? Might not be saying it correctly, but now it spikes around depending on how fast or how much throttle your giving it and of course the gear your on. On my DSM when I install my MBC I never had the spikes up and down anymore it was steady.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
sairaag said:
Question with a MBC or Electric BC the psi will not drop at high rpm? or will it still lower? Might not be saying it correctly, but now it spikes around depending on how fast or how much throttle your giving it and of course the gear your on. On my DSM when I install my MBC I never had the spikes up and down anymore it was steady.
EBCs tend not to spike and not change boost between gears if setup properly. MBCs usually have an initial spike, because they can't react fast enough when the boost explodes to peak from a low rpm roll-on to boost. Both will always taper with the stock turbo, because the stock turbo is not efficient at high boost and high rpm - this is natural.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Warrtalon said:
EBCs tend not to spike and not change boost between gears if setup properly. MBCs usually have an initial spike, because they can't react fast enough when the boost explodes to peak from a low rpm roll-on to boost. Both will always taper with the stock turbo, because the stock turbo is not efficient at high boost and high rpm - this is natural.
Thank's you have been alot of help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts