Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished a trip from Kansas to Colorado.

I averaged 80 - 90 mph

It started off ok, around 200 miles on the first tank but as the trip went on the mileage went down.

2nd tank 180 miles

3rd tank 170 miles...... what gives? These first 3 tanks were on tarmac (ACD)

I understand that I'm pretty much going up hill towards denver but that's 14/mpg.

Going back home I did get over 200 miles on each tank except for the last one in wich I only got 180. While I was in CO I had the ACD on snow the entire time even on the trip back and I think around my last tank I realized it was still on snow and put it on tarmac..... anyone think this could make a difference?

Anyways Mitsu claims 25/mpg on the highway and I think it's BS.

My best was maybe 18/mpg. :thumbdown

Oh ya.... I could only get 91 octane during the trip, if it matters?.?.?

Oh ya, ya..... I did have a rack and snowboards on top but could that realy kill my mileage by 7/mpg? It never did on my GSX.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You said you averged 80-90mph. I KNOW Mits. did not publish their MPG base on an AVG. speed of 85mph. I'm pretty sure you KNOW this too, or at least you should. If 10 people made this same trip we'd probably get about as many different AVG.'s based on the right foot factor. The right foot factor and mpg are directly proportional. The more your right foot goes down, the more your MPG goes down. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure they didn't use over 80mph to figure mpg either but the highways are 70mph KS
75mph CO, they should use a mph close to what the legal limit is. Then were only talking 10 - 15mph difference.

I can't believe that is enough to loose over 100 miles for an entire tank?

12.5 gallons @ 25/mpg = 312.5 miles per tank

I filled up every 12.5 gallons and averaged under 200 miles per tank

Does anyone get close to 300 miles on a tank?

It might help if we had cruise control but oh well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Your average speed makes a huge difference in the mileage you get.

Don't forget, the estimates you see on the window sticker are based on outdated criteria that was set up by the government many years ago when the highest highway speed was probably something like 55 mph (still is in many places). Add to that you already admitted having items that would increase drag on the roof of the car, as well as not traveling on level ground, and the current winter blend of gas that most states are using (you'll loose several mpg right there alone), and it's not difficult to see where your figures come from.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Well, 80mph means you're up at 3500rpm or so. They probably based it off going 55mph. They are not obligated to rate it based off interstate speed limits in CO/KS. 55mph is the standard for highways and such, so that's probably what they used. I personally did not know Mitsu claimed 25mpg and thought it was common knowledge that 19-21mpg was normal except when on the highway without ever boosting. I personally have gotten up to 23-24mpg when on the highway and not boosting, but I've never gone a whole tank on the highway.

The stuff on top definitely killed your aerodynamics, created drag, and added weight, so that didn't help either.

The ACD mode doesn't affect straightline performance, so it was not an effect on gas mileage.

·
Registered
70 Posts
severe cold, like severe heat, makes a big difference in gas mileage. high speed(yes 80-90 is much higher than they expected), wind drag, and driver input(smooth throttle/no boost or passing under boost all the time) all make big changes on these cars. Winter blend of gas does also make a difference. good luck getting that mpg out of your car. The best I have gotten on highway trips are 23-24 mpg, all highway.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I average about 18 mpg driving, I usually get anywhere from 200-280 mile depending on how much highway driving I do. I can really see the difference in gas mileage if I hot rod it around. Im tuned pretty rich since I can only get 91 octane so full throttle=crappy gas mileage. It is a evo though, I didn't expect anything different from it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have no problems averaging 18-20mpg daily with mixed driving.

Yesterday in the cold I took a trip up to the mountains to snowboard. My MPG was still at 23.5mpg on the way back home (where I had to travel lower speeds due to traffic.. ie 75mph ish). On the way up I was in a HUGE rush since I was late. Speeds were.... higher. That took me down to 20mpg.

As you can see, pushing the car at a higher rpm as well as a higher resistance due to wind etc will in fact, decrease mileage. Tune up your car, fresh plugs gapped properly, clean your air filter. Make sure your air tire pressure is good.. and drive NICELY, you'll see some good mileage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts