Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up,
I had a few questions about the stock turbo that comes in the evo. What is the max boost I can run on a stock turbo without frying it? Why when I accelerate it goes up to 1.5bar then it tapers off to 1.3bar? How can I get it to stay at 1.5? Sorry for all the questions. I just wanna know everything about our cars :thumb:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,496 Posts
Actually, the 06 IX has a new turbo that none of us have ever seen or used, so no one knows yet. The one you have is superior to the previous ones, and we are all jealous. It really concerns me when newbies ask what the max boost is that they can run without frying the turbo, because I don't know why you'd even be thinking about that yet. It especially concerns me when you don't even know why the boost tapers or how to keep it from tapering. The device that eliminates the taper is the same one that allows you to turn it up to its max. This device is called a boost controller. You can use a manual boost controller (MBC), an electronic boost controller (EBC), or rely on a boost-controlling flash. The MBC and EBC give you direct control over the boost, whereas a boost-controlling flash sets it for you and provides no method for changing it other than a reflash (or installation of an MBC/EBC).

As I said, we don't know much about your turbo yet, because it's so new, but so far it's performing far beyond the previous year turbos. On my 05, for example, you can run 21-22psi daily on 93oct without worry, but the limitation here is octane, not the turbo. On race gas or alcohol injection, you can run upwards of 28psi without damaging the engine, although the turbo's life will be shorter. The 03-05 turbos are not efficient beyond 25psi, so I usually recommend 24-25psi on race gas or alky. I personally use race gas at the track, so that's when I crank up the boost to 24-25psi and re-tune with my SAFC. I would ASSUME that your turbo is capable of this, and MAYBE MORE. Only time will tell, but I don't think you're anywhere near worrying about utilizing the IX's max boost.

As for the taper, that's a built-in boost taper that is controlled by the boost control solenoid (BCS). When you install an MBC/EBC, they bypass the BCS and control boost themselves. There is still taper on the top end due to the turbo's inefficencies, but it's not anywhere as bad as the ECU-controlled taper, which is more drastic and early. Boost-controlling flashes retain use of the BCS, but they electronically eliminate the taper and give you solid boost all the way to redline.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
I have heard awesome things about the new turbo! I may try to get one from my parts deparment. Get a Boost gauge first and tell us what psi it runs and tapers to. We need to stop talking about the 06 model because i'm just going to have to buy one some how. lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Warrtalon said:
Actually, the 06 IX has a new turbo that none of us have ever seen or used, so no one knows yet. The one you have is superior to the previous ones, and we are all jealous. It really concerns me when newbies ask what the max boost is that they can run without frying the turbo, because I don't know why you'd even be thinking about that yet. It especially concerns me when you don't even know why the boost tapers or how to keep it from tapering. The device that eliminates the taper is the same one that allows you to turn it up to its max. This device is called a boost controller. You can use a manual boost controller (MBC), an electronic boost controller (EBC), or rely on a boost-controlling flash. The MBC and EBC give you direct control over the boost, whereas a boost-controlling flash sets it for you and provides no method for changing it other than a reflash (or installation of an MBC/EBC).

As I said, we don't know much about your turbo yet, because it's so new, but so far it's performing far beyond the previous year turbos. On my 05, for example, you can run 21-22psi daily on 93oct without worry, but the limitation here is octane, not the turbo. On race gas or alcohol injection, you can run upwards of 28psi without damaging the engine, although the turbo's life will be shorter. The 03-05 turbos are not efficient beyond 25psi, so I usually recommend 24-25psi on race gas or alky. I personally use race gas at the track, so that's when I crank up the boost to 24-25psi and re-tune with my SAFC. I would ASSUME that your turbo is capable of this, and MAYBE MORE. Only time will tell, but I don't think you're anywhere near worrying about utilizing the IX's max boost.

As for the taper, that's a built-in boost taper that is controlled by the boost control solenoid (BCS). When you install an MBC/EBC, they bypass the BCS and control boost themselves. There is still taper on the top end due to the turbo's inefficencies, but it's not anywhere as bad as the ECU-controlled taper, which is more drastic and early. Boost-controlling flashes retain use of the BCS, but they electronically eliminate the taper and give you solid boost all the way to redline.
Well thanks for the advice. You have to pardon me for not knowing. My experience was with a supercharged tiburon. I had a roots type of blower. So unless I change the pulleys i was running the same boost all the time. superchargers dont taper. Before I tuned it I asked alot of questions first. So my knowledge is limited at this point. The reason I joined this forum is so I can learn from other owners about the Evo. I wanna learn about the Evo and it's limitations before I am ready to tune my car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SicLanEvo said:
I have heard awesome things about the new turbo! I may try to get one from my parts deparment. Get a Boost gauge first and tell us what psi it runs and tapers to. We need to stop talking about the 06 model because i'm just going to have to buy one some how. lol.
the car does come with a boost gauge. it hits 1.5bar then it drops off to 1.3bar. Since the car didnt come with a radio i was thinking about moving the gauges up to where the radio is and when I get a radio mounted where the gauges were. dont you get a hook up for working for the dealer???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,496 Posts
diablors said:
the car does come with a boost gauge. it hits 1.5bar then it drops off to 1.3bar. Since the car didnt come with a radio i was thinking about moving the gauges up to where the radio is and when I get a radio mounted where the gauges were. dont you get a hook up for working for the dealer???
Since yours already came with the gauge package, you can probably just switch them to the top right now like this:



Remember to move the boost gauge into the left slot when you do this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Warrtalon said:
Since yours already came with the gauge package, you can probably just switch them to the top right now like this:



Remember to move the boost gauge into the left slot when you do this.
for sure. it's bad placement on mitsubishi part. i wonder what possesed them to place it there
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top