Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I have been reading through these forums about which clutch would be most appropriate for my situation. The majority of the threads I have come across speak of the Exedy single and twin plate clutch and occasionally the ACT 2600. However, these threads also seem to be geared towards cars that are both street and track cars.

For my situation I dont "plan" on taking my car to the track, so I am not going to buy a clutch geared for that. I mainly want a clutch that is for the street and can take an occasional launch (maybe a couple a month). My current mods are updated in my profile and the only other upgrade I "plan" on doing in the next year would be possibly cams. I "hope" to spend under $1000, not including install. (Also going to get a flywheel replaced while they are in there).

Would an ACT MB7-HDSS or Spec be appropriate for my situation? Thank in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
I scoured the internet researching clutches, friction materials, clamp loads, pressure plate flexing, etc. shopping for a clutch. I'm in the same boat of the daily driver with the occasional launch and there's no way in hell my wife would stand by and let me spend $1000 on a clutch. :D I went with the ACT MB7-XTSS with the Streetlite flywheel and here's why;
Street disk - it's a street car and I know it. I'm not pretenting it's a race car and I'm not going to turn any laps. Anything else is going to get eaten by all the street driving or eat the flywheel.
3200 lbs. clamp load - for the 2-3 trips down the 1/4 mile this fall. Just for the extra grab and no slip which contributes to the wear on the disk.
Streetlite flywheel - Again it's a street car and the extra meat should help with the extra clamp load and disapate heat.
I think two things that shouldn't be over looked are upgrading the clutch line and removing the fluid restrictor. The clutch line is going to give better response, no balloning/swelling in the line, and give a more full push to the slave cylinder. Removing the restrictor will make for quicker engagement and less slip, which leads to less wear and heat. Maybe even these two things with the MB7-HDSS could serve you too, but I just wanted the extra piece of mind of a little more clutch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I might as well go for the extra beef as well, its not that much more!

When you mentioned replacing the clutch line do you have a particular one in mind, or will a stainless steel clutch line be adequate?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts