Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
I wouldn't really say it will make your car "loud as hell" but it will be a little bit louder than a regular tbe with a cat. As far as power noone knows a set number I would say maybe just a few more.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far exhaust components, just a hks hi power and downpipe. what about back firing? Ive heard some STIs with a cat delete and their shit back fired left and right.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only thing im worried about is cops noticing. i don't need any more tickets. Does it do any damage to the turbo or anything since it's kinda like a small explosion?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Backfires are not a problem, man, you're being paranoid. I haven't had one in 2 years - they happen occasionally, not often, and I don't know why a cop would care about a backfire. Cars randomly backfire all the time - it's not ticketable.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
As far exhaust components, just a hks hi power and downpipe. what about back firing? Ive heard some STIs with a cat delete and their shit back fired left and right.
I would bet you at 10 to 1 odds that the STi in question also has a vent to atmosphere blow off valve. That is the source of the back fire. Not having a cat makes it much louder when it backfires, and in many cases lets the actual flames shoot out the tail pipe when the car backfires.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I have a resonated test pipe and my exhaust is definatly quieter but not by much. I will let you know when I switch toa straight test pipe. I hope it changes the sounds little, I loved the way my TBE with straight pipe sounded on my eclipse.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Thanks Warr that is exactly what I'm looking for. I also think I have a early production one from megan racing that is necked down to 2.75"ID So I can't wait! Maybe I will order it after i get my check on friday!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know its a little off topic but i always had apex ni tbe on my 1 gens and it was never a obnoxious loud. Sure a little louder than usual although I believed at the time the power without a cat was worth more than the amount of noise coming out the exhaust.

I have two buddies with EVO 8's. One has the buschur exhaust and the other with an Authority exhaust. Both without cats, my buddies buschur exhaust is louder even if you connected the cat. Warrtalon is right though it does sound much deeper not your typical 4 banger exhaust tone

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Look, im sorry if you feel im asking stupid questions but i don't know. Im pretty new to the game so bare with me. Im trying to learn as much as possible and thats the main reason i joined this forum. What am i looking for that shows it being vented to atmosphere?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
You're looking for how it's connected. If it's only connected on one side to the upper intercooler pipe (UICP), then it's VTA. If it's connected to the UICP and then another hose coming out the other side that routes the purge back into the intake pipe, then it's recirculating. Either way, that BOV should not be used on the Evo.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well im looking at it and it definitly has a hose that goes back into the intake. So i shouldn't have to many back fires since its not VTA. Whats wrong with the HKS?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
It's build to be VTA, which does not work on a MAF-equipped Evo, because air that is metered by the MAF gets purged into atmosphere causing a rich condition in the AFRs. Also, it's a pull-type BOV (only one I know of), which keeps it from opening EVER until it's supposed to, which is when you let off under high boost. This causes the Evo problems at idle, because the BOV is supposed to open a little to allow for the proper vaccuum.

It's an expensive ricer unit that people love to get just for noise without realizing it's bad for their Evo.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wish i would have known that before i bought it. The shop i usually go to didn't mention anything about that. They just told me that this unit was the best blow off valve i can get for my car and i believed him when i saw the price.:( I do notice some idle problems when i first start the car. Or sometimes if im just sitting at a light the rpm will shoot up to like 1700 a by it self. Is this bov going to damage anything?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts