Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a rotary guy. I currently own a 1993 mazda rx-7. I love the car, the engine and everything about it, but for some reason I've been seriously thinking about buying an EVO. I'm rappidly moving away from quarter mile and I'm getting seriously interested in Auto Cross/Time trials. From what I've read alot of you guys do autocross. Have you ever seen an rx-7 do it, and how does it stack up aginst the evo. The more I read about the evo the more I want to buy one. Simple things like its driveability in all weathers and conditions as well as the engine being more reliable push me over to the evo side. I've also heard rumors that the clutch goes very fast on EVOs and soon after buying one I'll have to spend an additional $500 on a preformance clutch. I appercaite everyone who takes the time to read this. Thanks again.

- MK

Just a recap on the questions:

1. What do you think about a switch from the Rx-7 to the evo?

2. Has anyone seen a 3rd gen(1993-1995) mazda rx-7 in auto cross, and how does it stack up aginst the EVO.

3. I heard stories about clutch problems with the EVO. Will I have to run out and spend another $500 on a preformance clutch shortly after I buy the car?

- THanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Revive said:
1. What do you think about a switch from the Rx-7 to the evo?

2. Has anyone seen a 3rd gen(1993-1995) mazda rx-7 in auto cross, and how does it stack up aginst the EVO.

3. I heard stories about clutch problems with the EVO. Will I have to run out and spend another $500 on a preformance clutch shortly after I buy the car?
1. I think it's a great idea, because RX-7s are known to be problematic with overheating and unreliable at this age. Of course, they are/were AWESOME performance cars, but they are getting outdated, and don't quite match the Evo in all-around performance.

2. No, I haven't seen one yet, but then again I just started. I can verify that the Evo is a monster on the tarmac. I've told the story already, but I finished 5th out of 85 in my first autocross event, and this was with no suspension, tire, or brake upgrades. I did have a cat-back and filter, so I had a little more power than stock, but the stock handling/braking is what made the biggest difference. The 4 cars that beat me were all on race tires, so I was the fastest car on street tires.

3. First off, the stock clutch IS somewhat weak, but that was by design so that the many crazy Evo owners wouldn't destroy the much-more-expensive driveline from high rpm clutch dump launches. This does NOT mean that the stock clutch is a POS or that you will have to change it early in the car's life. I am only at 6500 miles right now, so I can't give a better first-hand account, but I have about 20 drag runs (6k launches) with a range of ~250-280whp, and I've done 6 full-out auto-x runs where I was in 1st gear almost the entire time, and my clutch is as strong as it was on day one. I wouldn't be surprised if it gave way at 30k miles, but that would be fine with me. Yes, an aftermarket clutch will cost you 400-500, but even more to get it installed, but you will also then have a very strong clutch that can launch like a banshee.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i like rx-7's alot. There rare, fast, and look fun to drive. If you have the money to maintain that car, update it, then i would say stick with that. Yea they are getting outdated though. I have seen rx-7s in autox and they have put out good times with upgraded suspensions and brakes. The cars do have balls. If you want awd, good power, good suspension and brakes stock, go evo. If you want a funner rwd, power machine stay with ur rx7. My opinions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanted to say thanks alot for the replys. I just got done looking at my rx in my garage and about 75% of me thinks its time to move on. I'll have to sleep on it alittle more and see how things turn out.

Special thanks to Warrtalon for all that info.

- Mk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts