Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I know the obvious answer that i will recieve from this forum, but i have a few questions.

first off, I'm looking into getting either a '00 ls1 Trans Am, wrx, or evo... when i return back to the states from iraq.

the evo will be the priciest, and the TA will run mid 12's all day on exhaust and tune... but the evo will get me closer to the TA than the wrx with bolt ons(price being considered). The EVO is a lot easier to work on than either the TA or wrx. but the kicker for me is when I get out of the army i'll be going to school in MN and need a car I can drive all year round in any weather.... which the TA would be hell in the snow, until i total it.

so i researched the threads a bit before asking something i would get flamed on. but, is it pretty common to get a stock turbo'd EVO VIII to run in the area of 12.5E.T. with mostly mild boltons, with a safe reliable tune and a moderate boost? sorry i say moderate, i am used to turbo mustangs and breaking past 12-13PSI isnt needed, i just dont want to run much more than 20PSI on an evo at the track... are the stock tubos and engines capable of producing this reliably part time?

second, it seems like when i was in mn still the evo's sort of disappeared in the winter... maybe they were well modded and stored or the owners just liked their SUV in the snow. But to anyone in a snow covered state, how well does the EVO handle the slippery stuff?
Is there plenty of ground clearance when the snowplow hasnt made its rounds yet... assuming the car isnt slammed?

The biggest downside i see is that the TA will be $12K, the wrx around $13, and the EVO...even for an 8 will be around $20K.... approx. from what I've seen MSRP. I need a car that will be good all year, but if I can't match the TA's performance with reasonable bolt ons with the EVO I would rather get the pontiac and buy a winter beater considering I'll spend $8,000 more on the EVO.

any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I sold my mustang(13.2ET on bolt ons) and want more with comfort. It has to be a V8 or AWD turbo... and i've heard nothing but good come from EVO owners.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
from one army guy to another( i'm in 1st cav.) i'd go with the evo. not because i already have one. but for many reasons. first the evo, i believe is far more better than a ta or wrx. i used to have a wrx, but i wrecked it and went with the evo.(i wanted an evo but they were not out yet when i bought my wrx) second, i don't know how it is at your post but camaros, mustangs,and ta's swarm the post i'm at. be different. infact i have been beginning to see an increase in the wrx and sti population at fort hood also.
i'm not big on v8's anyway(unless they're muscle cars from the 70's).
shoot get yourself an MR, you deserve it after being deployed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
infantrycav said:
so i researched the threads a bit before asking something i would get flamed on. but, is it pretty common to get a stock turbo'd EVO VIII to run in the area of 12.5E.T. with mostly mild boltons, with a safe reliable tune and a moderate boost?
Yes;
http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?Header_Type=evo&Page=1
There's this guy running 12.000
http://www.evotuners.net/forums/member.php?find=lastposter&f=4
... and there's no flaming here. :thumb:

infantrycav said:
i just dont want to run much more than 20PSI on an evo at the track... are the stock tubos and engines capable of producing this reliably part time?
Stock boost is about 19 psi (considering tapper/spiking). Stock turbos and engine can handle 20psi full time.


I live in Southern California, so I can't help you with the snow/bad weather business. :eek:
http://www.evotuners.net/forums/showthread.php?p=7324#post7324
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
718 Posts
An EVO with snow tires is unstoppable in snow that is less than 6" deep. That is about the max you can have without your front end acting like a snow plow and jamming up your front screen with snow blocking off air flow to the intercooler and radiator. Don't drive an EVO in anything under 40F weather on the stock tires. They are summer only tires and turn hard as a rock and grip like hard plastic in cold weather.

With a small amount of mods in an 05 you can run mid to low 12's all day long. With just a tune, and nothing else, you can do that in an 06... the 03's and 04's are a bit tougher to get good times out of, but are still rock solid daily drivers at that performance level.

Keith
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
infantrycav said:
OK so I know the obvious answer that i will recieve from this forum, but i have a few questions.

first off, I'm looking into getting either a '00 ls1 Trans Am, wrx, or evo... when i return back to the states from iraq.

the evo will be the priciest, and the TA will run mid 12's all day on exhaust and tune... but the evo will get me closer to the TA than the wrx with bolt ons(price being considered). The EVO is a lot easier to work on than either the TA or wrx. but the kicker for me is when I get out of the army i'll be going to school in MN and need a car I can drive all year round in any weather.... which the TA would be hell in the snow, until i total it.

so i researched the threads a bit before asking something i would get flamed on. but, is it pretty common to get a stock turbo'd EVO VIII to run in the area of 12.5E.T. with mostly mild boltons, with a safe reliable tune and a moderate boost? sorry i say moderate, i am used to turbo mustangs and breaking past 12-13PSI isnt needed, i just dont want to run much more than 20PSI on an evo at the track... are the stock tubos and engines capable of producing this reliably part time?

second, it seems like when i was in mn still the evo's sort of disappeared in the winter... maybe they were well modded and stored or the owners just liked their SUV in the snow. But to anyone in a snow covered state, how well does the EVO handle the slippery stuff?
Is there plenty of ground clearance when the snowplow hasnt made its rounds yet... assuming the car isnt slammed?

The biggest downside i see is that the TA will be $12K, the wrx around $13, and the EVO...even for an 8 will be around $20K.... approx. from what I've seen MSRP. I need a car that will be good all year, but if I can't match the TA's performance with reasonable bolt ons with the EVO I would rather get the pontiac and buy a winter beater considering I'll spend $8,000 more on the EVO.

any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I sold my mustang(13.2ET on bolt ons) and want more with comfort. It has to be a V8 or AWD turbo... and i've heard nothing but good come from EVO owners.

your on a evo tuners site, obv people are ganna not be able to give you a honest answer unless they have driven both. I personally like the evo, i heard to many rumors on the engines of a scooby. and well v8's i dont know becuase i dont like them.:dsm:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Honestly I say you would be best off with the t/a or a camaro. You seem to be most interested in 1/4 mile times and an ls1 is at home on a drag strip. The evo was never designed to be a drag car, its made to go fast around corners. The ls1 can be stupid fast with light mods, and if you spend obscene amounts on it, an evo will not touch you dollar for dollar in mods. But Im talking at a drag strip not on a curvy road. The evo can be fast at a 1/4 mile track, but drag racing and reliability are not really used in the same sentence when it comes to an evo. You can get an evo but remember it will only do you well in light snowfall and with winter tires, so you will need to consider tires as an initial investment too. But with the ls1 you can use some of your extra money left over to buy a beater truck and then you wont care anyways. And the scooby? Come on man, not even in the same class as the other two cars. Shouldnt even be an option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
go with the Evo man, wife drives a WRX i like it but tuning wise you get more bang for your buck with the evo.

I like TA's but i think in the winter you're gonna be pissed. :sneaky:
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top