Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in any gear during decel like at approx. 3000-1500 rpm i hear some noise. not loud at all cause none of my friends heard it. it sounds like gear noise but not sure. i am thinking transfer case or trans cause it only does it in gear. any one else got this. sorry for being a pest but i've only had the evo for a week. :thumbdown

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
blackawd said:
sorry for being a pest but i've only had the evo for a week. :thumbdown
Forget that. This is why this community exists. We learn from each other what works and how to fix what we can. :D
If it is you transfer case, or tranny, a simple fluid change might do the trick.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Sounds more like tire rumble to me. The stock tires are very noisy and get noisier as they get miles on them.

Keith

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got some pretty loud decel noise from my tranny, kinda like a mechanical, low-pitched rattling. Seems to be more prominent once the car is warmed up, occurs in most gears, at around the RPM range you cited. I've had this for 20k+ miles and nothing's broken so far, I've had the clutch changed and the transfer case apart (to install a Quaife front LSD) and nothing looked out of the ordinary. The sound is rather unnerving though I've been told it's "normal".

·
Registered
1 Posts
well i just noticed some whining today after i let my friend drive it, he launched it and hit the gears really hard and made some clunking sounds, and then afterwards, while driving, i heard whining noises, and when i would go into first, it sounds like something if winding up and then spinning freely...lmk what you is the problem guys

thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
tranny

hey whats up yo ya i have the same problem but mine is loud and it does it when ever i let of the gas only in gear . i was told by a lot of people its fine it does that when you hit 30000 miles or something like that . hope its nothing bad well later

·
Registered
133 Posts
SeanJhn9 said:
well i just noticed some whining today after i let my friend drive it, he launched it and hit the gears really hard and made some clunking sounds, and then afterwards, while driving, i heard whining noises, and when i would go into first, it sounds like something if winding up and then spinning freely...lmk what you is the problem guys

thanks in advance
ouch.... i dont know if its ur head freakin u out, or if it really happened.

·
Registered
209 Posts
if it sounds like a quiet medium pitched whine, you here it lower in the rpms but not in the higher rpms because you hear the exhaust :D then its your transfer case. I've had the noise for about 20k mi and haven't had a problem with it. I just keep up with the fluid and change it regularily

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got my driveline checked out at the shop. The fluid in the transfer case is cloudy and I have the same symptoms! Mine sounds like a worn bearing and there is fluid leaking where the t-case meets the transaxle. I need to find a stock UICP so I can take it back under warranty. I have not launched my car, but who knows what the previous owner did! :mad:

no spell checker?!?! :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transfer box

Mate has a evo.. Can hear a slight wine, ( possibly a wheel bearing) but others say it cud be the transfer box, how can you tell & how do u repair . Also when u are freewheeling you can still hear the wine, this is why I thought it was maybe a wheel bearing. What does use think?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts