Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i know that Tuning is the key to any moding But I was wondering what are some of the "Tuners" out there like a SAFC or like I know that Cobb is comeing out with a Tuner. BUT im just lookin for some input
:dsm:

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
The primary tuning device on the Evo is flashing the ECU. In the past, there were expensive flashing programs that only tuners (people) would buy and then charge us per tune while they used their program that no one else had. Now, we have EcuFlash, which is open source free flashing software so that we can all tune ourselves if we want to or get cheaper flash tunes from tuning experts.

The SAFC works on the Evo but is the most crude tuning device available. It's bottom of the barrel, but it does work. I went very fast while tuning myself with an SAFC before switching to ECU flashing.

I suppose Cobb will be releasing their AccessPort, which is wildly successful in the Subie world, but we've been hearing about it for over a year now. It is a great tool, but it is a piggyback that will cost you a good bit, and then you pay for tuning on top of it. A lot more expensive than a basic flash, but it will have some extra features like live tuning and push-button map switching. With EcuFlash, you have to log a run, change the tune and upload it to the ECU, log another run, change the tune, etc. Live tuning would allow changes to be made while driving. EcuFlash allows you to have many different maps, too, but you have to stop, get your laptop, and load the new flash. The Cobb would allow you to just push a button or turn a knob to get to the other map. To me, this is not a big deal, because I only change maps when I change fuel, so I have no need to switch maps quickly like that, but it's still nifty.

There are some other piggybacks and of course standalone ECUs, but flashing is the real deal until you put on a big turbo.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok where is the ECU flash done do I have to pull the ECU out and side it or is a program that you buy and do you have to have a laptop or can you use a logger.

I know that when you put any mods on you need to tune if not you have just made you car the same if not wores so if i was goin to just get a cat-back and a intake and maybe up the boost like 2 pounds what would be a good tuner to use thanks :dsm:

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
The SAFC works on the Evo but is the most crude tuning device available. It's bottom of the barrel, but it does work.
That's just how I like'em; crude, cheap, easy, and get's the job done. :laugh:
I know some have had success with ECU+ and MAFTpro, but again those are piggybacks that do a little more here and there. I believe these are good stepping stones though. It will get you started in seeing how tuning really effects performance and the relationships between, temps, timing, octane, and boost. Once you get that down stepping up to flashing, which is the real way to go, and custumizing your own maps will be easier because you know what to look for.
When I come up on a cheap laptop, I'm ordering the cable, the AFC's coming out, and I'll be going to town on the fuel and timing maps.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Ok where is the ECU flash done do I have to pull the ECU out and side it or is a program that you buy and do you have to have a laptop or can you use a logger.
You have to have a laptop and the ECU stays in. You basically, plug in, pull the maps off the ECU, change what you have to change, then refresh the ECU. There's also logging software that runs straight off the laptop and cable.

I know that when you put any mods on you need to tune if not you have just made you car the same if not wores so if i was goin to just get a cat-back and a intake and maybe up the boost like 2 pounds what would be a good tuner to use thanks :dsm:
I really don't trust anyone with my car. I say do it yourself. Learn whatever you need to learn, buy what ever tools and equipment you need, and never reley on anyone. It may take some time, but you never have to guess if it's right. Everthing we need to tune and to work on these cars is right at or fingertips. A simple piggyback or better yet;
http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
:thumb:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I suppose Cobb will be releasing their AccessPort, which is wildly successful in the Subie world, but we've been hearing about it for over a year now. It is a great tool, but it is a piggyback
Incorrect-a-mundo

The Access Port is NOT a piggyback. You use it to upload a flash to your Ecu, you can then unplug it and leave it in your desk at home if you really want to. You don't have to leave it plugged in. The beauty of it is that it saves a copy of your Ecu when you "marry" it to your car, so its very simple to go back to stock. It also stores up to 10 maps that you can upload on the fly if your really want to which is why sometimes people think its a piggy back system. Long story short, the Access Port is a handheld Ecu map storage and flash device that can also do a few other basic functions. Think of it as EcuFlash gone handheld instead of using a laptop and you have the right idea.

The TurboXS Utec is a piggyback.

Are my Sti owning days showing?:sneaky:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I need to find a tuner to do a custom flash for my alky injection kit.

I have the buschur stage II plus walbro, and have some gsc 272s and a snow stg 2 kit I need to install but I don't want to install them until I can find a competant evo tuner to do a custom flash.

My current flash (dynotune, came with the buschur package) is decent but I run pretty rich, I'm tuned for 91 oct and have <10.3 AFR from 4k rpm on. I think I may have some power to gain if I went with a little less conservative AFR.

Other than AMS which is a good 6+ hours away is there anyone else in the midwest you would recommend?

I would prefer to have Al from Dynoflash do it but I'm suprisingly having a hard time to find any other evo/scooby owners in the area that will commit. A couple of the evo/sti owners on the local street racing forums seem to think that he doesn't know what he's doing. I was happy with my through the mail tune but it seems others propaganda has hurt Al's reputation in my area. Of course on the local board (kcsr.org) everyone hates on the evo. I've had my car called slow and a pos and just about every other evo insult you can think of. Most of those doing the insulting don't own cars capable of beating my evo but they have friends who can ROFL. Sorry for the hijack.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
As well, I need to know where you're located. The "Midwest" stretches from Ohio to Colorado.

For the doubters, show them all the amazing results of Dynoflashed Evos. He has most of the stock turbo records for VIIIs and IXs not using nitrous. The most recent accomplishment was an VIII with a custom Dynoflash who ran 11.20 @ 120 on race gas. He also tuned a IX that went 11.56 @ 117 with BR stg2 and race gas.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The lack of a local or even close competent tuner is the very reason I'm going to do the EcuFlash and EvoScan or Mitsulogger combo. Have a good base flash for whatever mods you're tuning for and then log data using EvoScan with a possible WB02 unit as well and make sure everything is o.k. If something needs to be adjusted because it's knocking or a bit lean it seems everyone from Al to Jestr and inbetween will re-tweek to make the tune right if it was a bit off the first time. After a good base flash I will hopefully have absorbed enough info. to use the Ecuflash to then adjust timing tables and fuel tables based on any minor future mods I may add.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I don't know of any sites to send you to for tuners in your area - I'm trying to find the trusted tuners within reasonable driving distance of you and superfly. The major MAJOR Evo tuners are in OH, CT, IL, CA, and FL, but there are others who are very good - just have to locate them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts