Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I don't know where to post this but... I saw the word turbo here so I am posting here. I have talked to people that have had problems with their turbo's when they got too hot. Some of the people I have talked to had their car start on fire because of the turbo getting too hot and leaking. Some people say this won't and can't happen. But who know's so has anyone ever heard of this happening with turbo's ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok

Well it was a GTO so it does not have a turbo originally, but he installed in correctly. I am sure there is someone out there that has had problems with a turbo on their car. Like overheating and then causing a fire.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Extremely rare, because overheating a turbo does not cause a fire...it just causes heatsoak, which results in less power. I road race my Evo for 20-25 mins non-stop at 26psi mostly in 4th gear with no issue. I highly doubt your gto buddy was pushing his car anywhere near that hard on the street before pulling into his driveway. Freak accident caused by poor installation or poor design.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Evo500 said:
I have talked to people that have had problems with their turbo's when they got too hot. Some of the people I have talked to had their car start on fire because of the turbo getting too hot and leaking.
WTF
Maybe something came in contact with the turbo, or the heat started plastics under the hood to start burning? But this leads back to the installation.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Come on, don't lie to the guy!

We all know at least ten people who have had their EVO or WRX burst into flames on them... happens every day. Don't you guys watch the news? That is why every turbo car sold in this country has to have a built in fire suppression system from the factory.

Keith

1 - 6 of 6 Posts