Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the topic states, i live in jersey im gonna see a mess load of salt, and i wanna protect my baby lol, ne advice, i used Zaino on the old whip it looked great, but i want sumthing made to protect the paint

·
Registered
171 Posts
Collinite wax is extremely durable and offers long-lasting protection. The 845 Insulator Wax looks a little better than 476-S and can last up to 6 months. OTOH, 476-S can last up to a year. They're the reference standard (of sorts) for your application:

http://mactecllc.com/collinite.asp

If you apply more than one coat, wait for a few days for the first coat to cure before doing the second.

·
Registered
1 Posts
camoner said:
as the topic states, i live in jersey im gonna see a mess load of salt, and i wanna protect my baby lol, ne advice, i used Zaino on the old whip it looked great, but i want sumthing made to protect the paint
I'd use a paint sealant rather than a wax.

Paint sealants are more durable.

Go here - there's some good info and good prices on the products.

www.autogeek.net

·
Registered
171 Posts
kapolani said:
I'd use a paint sealant rather than a wax.

Paint sealants are more durable.

Go here - there's some good info and good prices on the products.

www.autogeek.net
Yes, generally sealants do excel in durability, especially if multiple coats are applied. Though not all sealants are created equal, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze is superb, but it's not easy to work with. That said, the Collinite waxes are even better in terms of durability. Personally, I like to use several layers of KSG and then top with two coats of Collinite for the Winter (I skipped a few steps for the sake of brevity). On my wife's car, I use a coat of Collinite 476-S all around with a second coat on the roof and the hood. It lasts from September to June and beyond. I don't expect anyone to take my word for it. Do a search for Collinite on http://autopia.org/forum/index.php? to see what the pros have to say.

There's another option, too, that I'm testing at the moment. Not having used it long enough, I can't rightfully make a firm recommendation.

Edit: OP, if you'd like to use a sealant before the Collinite, I can recommend this product. It's almost as good as KSG, but much easier to use and only needs a few hours of cure time, though 24 hours is better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts