Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 evo, I bought it used but as far as I can tell there have been no modifications or any problems. I installed a boost gauge and timer and according to the gauge, which is a bar gauge, I don't reach 1 bar. I have ran it through the gears...especially 3rd to see where I peak and it seems to be .95-.99 bar What do I need to look for or do to fix this?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Then it means you, like so many others, have bought an Evo that was either previously modded and put back to stock or was just messed up and repaired with non-OEM boost lines. Basically, you're seeing base wastegate pressure, which is only 11-12psi, and it's one of the most common things there is with used Evos. People mod them, put them to stock, have no idea that the OEM boost lines HAVE to be re-used, then sell it to some unsuspecting noob who has no idea what the Evo is REALLY supposed to feel like (19psi >>>>> 11psi). The good thing is you added a gauge and can now see it. I'm surprised you added a bar gauge, but as long as you know how to convert on the fly, you're fine.

If I'm right about this (80% chance), then you need to buy the 100% stock OEM lines from Mitsubishiparts.net for $14.55. The part # is MN143555.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Warrtalon's right.
Check the lines to the boost control solinoid. It's under the stock intake box. The one that is solid black should have a hard spot 3/4 to an inch away from the solinoid nipple. That hard spot in the line is a "pill" or small restrictor. Feel and make sure it's there. If it's not there, the previous owner might have had a boost controller on the car, and not reinstalled the lines properly.

... or maybe the ECU needs to be reset? :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Yah, at the very least, reset the ECU before messing with anything, then do what larry suggested by checking for the restrictor pill. If that pill is verifiably there, then the next check will be down by the turbo and wastegate, so you'll have to remove the intake. The line larry is talking about will run to a tee, and from that tee, 2 short lines will go to the turbo nipple and wastegate actuator nipple. The one going to the WGA should have a RED TIP, and the one going to the turbo nipple should have another restrictor pill near the tee just like the long hose. It's very possible that the stock lines are installed, but the WGA/Turbo lines are backwards. If so, then it's a very simple swap fix...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how do I reset the ecu? I also bought the car from a dealer so would they have returned it to stock?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts