Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to get as much info from this site as possible being that I am a newbie. So I wanted some opinions on the upgrade path I took.

megan o2 housing, megan downpipe, cat-delete and greddy exhuast
fujita cold air intake
pte 680cc injectors
reflash

·
Registered
86 Posts
Fuel pump upgrade? I would definately do the FP before injectors. For what you have injectors are not needed. MBC? Grab one, for those higher boost race gas runs if for no other reason.(Forge UNOS) I also would have just done a drop in filter and not bothered with the intake and used the money on other things. So my opinion is you went 2 for 4. :)

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
The path you TOOK? Meaning you've already purchased all this? I'm hoping not, because I know we didn't recommend these mods to you. I'm pretty sure we recommended OTHER mods, not these.

megan o2 housing, megan downpipe, cat-delete and greddy exhuast - If you got all this megan stuff, why did you spend about twice as much to do a Greddy cat-back? The entire Megan TBE is only $550 shipped. No need for any of the Greddy cat-backs...

fujita cold air intake - Say WHAT??? Eeek, where in the world did you come up with this?

pte 680cc injectors - Completely unnecessary and a waste, imo, because they aren't needed on the stock turbo, and any real upgraded turbo will need bigger than 680s. They aren't useful now, nor later.

reflash - Excellent choice, depending on the tuner.
You already said you have a Walbro, so that's good, but you need an MBC. Also, the Megan is the same as the $60-80 SS o2 on Ebay, but it costs twice as much. Don't need the Megan brand.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i got the megan o2, cat delete, downpipe and greddy exhaust purchased and installed for $1100. So I figured that was a good deal. I know Buschur and others offers good packages but it still needs to be shipped and installed. I opted for the quieter Greddy over some louder exhuasts. As far as the other parts: intake, injectors, fuel pump and flash that came as a trade....no money out of pocket!
So taking money out of the equation and stick just to performance results are these good mods?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also here is a question I have reference adding a higher capacity fuel pump. Why install an after market fuel pump without larger injectors or even larger fuel lines. It would seem that these would be needed to get any gains from the fuel pump....remember I am a newbie....so be patient.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
No, there is no reason for injectors. Sell them, then get an MBC and LICP. The fuel pump allows for greater fuel flow under boost. Our fuel pressure goes up 1psi per 1psi of boost, and the Walbro can effectively run the higher fuel pressure needed when raising boost. It also is less prone to failure than the stocker.

You don't need to touch the injectors nor fuel lines.

A BR TBE + ported/coated stock exhaust manifold + install would have also been $1100, but it would have made more power, weighed 10lbs less, and you wouldn't have a manifold that's going to crack in a year or less. If you just did a full Megan exhaust instead of mixing it with the Greddy, it would have cost $200-300 less.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No, there is no reason for injectors. Sell them, then get an MBC and LICP. The fuel pump allows for greater fuel flow under boost. Our fuel pressure goes up 1psi per 1psi of boost, and the Walbro can effectively run the higher fuel pressure needed when raising boost. It also is less prone to failure than the stocker.

You don't need to touch the injectors nor fuel lines.

A BR TBE + ported/coated stock exhaust manifold + install would have also been $1100, but it would have made more power, weighed 10lbs less, and you wouldn't have a manifold that's going to crack in a year or less. If you just did a full Megan exhaust instead of mixing it with the Greddy, it would have cost $200-300 less.

Why would his manifold crack in a year or less???

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I was actually referring to the tubular Megan Manifold, but he has the Megan tubular o2 housing, not the manifold. The stock manifold won't crack, but the Megan manifolds do. I was just mixing up the two, since people normally do the manifold before or instead of the o2. The o2 housings don't crack (or haven't yet), but then again that's $100 less than what I was calculating above.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Warrtalon,
I went with a tbe, walbro 255, ebc and tune...my dyno numbers were 289whp and 301 tq. I was looking for better numbers with these mods...do you suggest anything or are these numbers what I should be expecting.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
That's a great modlist, and your power is great for 91oct. Those mods with a good BOV to replace the crappy stocker get us right around 300whp on 93oct, so your power is just right for 91oct. Your torque is surprisingly high, because that usually indicates higher than 21psi, and that's not normal for 91oct.

Why were you expecting more power than that on stg1 mods with 91oct?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Based more on seeing other guys numbers with close to the same mods. With 21 psi I thought I would be closer to 300whp. But I love every second of driving it....for now at least.

What do you suggest I do next? Besides the blow off valve. And this time I will pay close attention and save myself some time and money!

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
What other guys are you talking about? It's rare to make more power than that with basic stg1 mods on 91oct with an VIII. Some people don't make more than that on 93oct - the power is very good and is not that far from 300whp.

Get a JDM MR DV or stock IX DV right away, but the next set of mods (stage 2) would be cams, LICP, and o2 housing with a reflash.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I must be thinking of guys running race gas. I already have the O2 housing so what would I sub for that mod? What is a DV?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts