Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the "Weak point" in evos. i know wrxs are trannys, s2k is diffs, vw is electrical ect...does the evo have a weak point?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
mr ginzo said:
would you suggest upgrading the clutch or is the diff really that weak?
I recommend upgrading the clutch when the stocker goes out, yes.

No, the t-case and diffs aren't really that weak, but people are known to do dumb things and damage it with 7k clutch dumps. I've beat the living dog mess out of my car at the drag strip (140+ passes), at the auto-x (50+ runs), and the road course (12 20-min sessions), but my drivetrain hasn't had a problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How strong is the stock trans??? How much Hp/Tq will it handel?? (being used for drag racing lets say once a month??))
What trans upgrades are there? and does anyone know about how much one would cost???

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Chill on the question marks. One will suffice.

The stock tranny is probably stronger than you will ever have to worry about. There is no actual answer to that question, because there are many drivetrain parts: transfer case, front differential, active center differential, half shafts, driveshaft, rear diff, etc. Each of them can handle different power amounts, and more importantly, they can handle different applications of power. If you go around dumping your clutch at 7k rpm, then your t-case will go bad even on stock power. It really depends on how you launch and shift.

You should be good up to 400wtq (HP is irrelevant) without touching the tranny and maybe 500wtq, but you will obviously need a stronger clutch for either power level. Drag racing once a month doesn't tell me much either. Is that 2-3 launches once a month, or do you get 10-12 launches each time? Do you dump your clutch at 7k or slip it heavily from 4.5k? Do you granny shift, speedshift, snapshift, or powershift.

You can get high quality transmission upgrades, rebuilds, or replacements from John Shepherd or Team Rip Engineering (TRE). Both are experts at this, but the price depends on what you have done. I would expect no less than 2k to be spent on a full upgrade.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Warrtalon said:
Chill on the question marks. One will suffice.

The stock tranny is probably stronger than you will ever have to worry about. There is no actual answer to that question, because there are many drivetrain parts: transfer case, front differential, active center differential, half shafts, driveshaft, rear diff, etc. Each of them can handle different power amounts, and more importantly, they can handle different applications of power. If you go around dumping your clutch at 7k rpm, then your t-case will go bad even on stock power. It really depends on how you launch and shift.

You should be good up to 400wtq (HP is irrelevant) without touching the tranny and maybe 500wtq, but you will obviously need a stronger clutch for either power level. Drag racing once a month doesn't tell me much either. Is that 2-3 launches once a month, or do you get 10-12 launches each time? Do you dump your clutch at 7k or slip it heavily from 4.5k? Do you granny shift, speedshift, snapshift, or powershift.

You can get high quality transmission upgrades, rebuilds, or replacements from John Shepherd or Team Rip Engineering (TRE). Both are experts at this, but the price depends on what you have done. I would expect no less than 2k to be spent on a full upgrade.
Wow that's a lot of great info on our trans! Thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts