Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 22 psi, 318 hp and 340tq.

On the road, the car knocked like crazy and had to be brought back down to 20psi. At this point I might as well remove my MBC, since its 20psi at the factory anway.

Cosworth 272 cams
Buschur tbe with hfc/magnaflow
mbc
walbro 255
Buschur intake

I have no idea what hp and tq I'm making since they turned the boost down on the road tune. Also they won't be recommeding cosworth's on cars using a hfc because they said the HFC causes of them to knock. But at the same time they were why I was making 340ft lb of torque at 3200 rpm (330 at 4200).

Untuned I was making almost 300hp with the cams, don't know what the tq was.

The car really doesn't feel any different to me. Don't know what, if anything I'm going to do next. I'll be using a different tuner from now on though, and NO I won't elaborate why.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No idea man. There's a whole story involved that I won't get in to, but we didn't part on what you would call good terms, so I'm lucky I got out of there with a dyno sheet.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Yeah, the HFC is definitely a killer on power. We've just recently seen evidence of how much a different it makes in terms of knock and ability to run higher boost.

No, 20psi on an MBC is not the same as stock boost, because it has less taper that begins later.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Btw, that silly Autometer is borked. On the road tune sometimes it was 3 psi, then 5 psi off, the right on, then back to 5 psi off. Checked all the hoses and they were fine. The silly thing could at least be consistant, then it would be of some use.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was not happy whatsoever with him or his tune don't feel alone in that.
dude on evo.m there talking about it also really bad service n so on if you need help my boys at top level performance can help you out like they did to me trust me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm probably going to make some changes here and there with the car, and then go see Sean Ivey.

I have nothing but good things to say about "The Shop", but I'm not even going to get into my issues with Al. Jim (The Shop's owner) even called me last night at 9pm to make sure the car was running all right and that I got home O.K.

The car IS running OK, I'm just not impressed. My SC'rd s2000 ... Aka the "torqueless wonder" pulled better.

They didn't think it was a gas problem either.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
So, what was wrong with the car then? They do lots of Evos there, and Al tunes tons of Evos to very good power numbers. Also, IXs can usually run 23-24psi on 93oct easily, so if you were having to drop down to 20psi, then something else was wrong that had nothing to do with the tune.

If you went to The Shop, then it was a DynoDynamics, which is a lot different than a Dynojet. Did they apply a correction factor to your numbers? If so, what was it?

The autometer gauge should not be inconsistent. I've never heard of that happening before. I have used mine for 2 years, and it's off 1psi but never fluctuates in how it reads.

·
Registered
13 Posts
jimmy is very cool guy....as for al like you said im not even going there to dont worry what ever go's around comes around,as for sean ivey nothing but the best my boy tune his evo there let me tell you your going to be happy very happy.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, what was wrong with the car then? They do lots of Evos there, and Al tunes tons of Evos to very good power numbers. Also, IXs can usually run 23-24psi on 93oct easily, so if you were having to drop down to 20psi, then something else was wrong that had nothing to do with the tune.

If you went to The Shop, then it was a DynoDynamics, which is a lot different than a Dynojet. Did they apply a correction factor to your numbers? If so, what was it?

The autometer gauge should not be inconsistent. I've never heard of that happening before. I have used mine for 2 years, and it's off 1psi but never fluctuates in how it reads.
Al blamed it on the cams being a bad fit with a highflow cat, yet another reason I'm pissed. I told him what I was running when he told me that these were the greatest cams ever and would work wonderfully with my setup. He said it was a back pressure issue, and he's had this problem before and wouldn't be recommending them to anyone else from now on unless they run a test pipe. There's $850 bucks down the drain (550 for cams, 300 install). I won't run catless

As for the autometer, I was out tinkering and think I found the problem. When Al was driving the car, he raised steering wheel and I think it pinched the hosed. I'll find out tomorrow when I go driving.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Maybe there is a problem with that combo - I dunno for sure - but the HFC really does make things difficult as proven on that same dyno with previous IXs. IXs can make 340whp on that dyno without cams but with a test pipe, so you were definitely having issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Al blamed it on the cams being a bad fit with a highflow cat, yet another reason I'm pissed. I told him what I was running when he told me that these were the greatest cams ever and would work wonderfully with my setup. He said it was a back pressure issue, and he's had this problem before and wouldn't be recommending them to anyone else from now on unless they run a test pipe. There's $850 bucks down the drain (550 for cams, 300 install). I won't run catless

As for the autometer, I was out tinkering and think I found the problem. When Al was driving the car, he raised steering wheel and I think it pinched the hosed. I'll find out tomorrow when I go driving.
yea ok your cams after all that money you spend????same here dude after he tune my evo he told me all my problem....wtf.....why waste my time and money to tell oh your hks bov is no good you need new clamp n so on why???and 850 bucks that hurts you could of got much more power then that with pistons and rods like i said if you need work done for a good ass price come to my boys at top level trust me.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
yea ok your cams after all that money you spend????same here dude after he tune my evo he told me all my problem....wtf.....why waste my time and money to tell oh your hks bov is no good you need new clamp n so on why???and 850 bucks that hurts you could of got much more power then that with pistons and rods like i said if you need work done for a good ass price come to my boys at top level trust me.
I don't doubt you were unhappy with your experience, but you do not appear to have much knowledge of the Evo, so I can't let you make comments like this without correction.

1) Why would your tuner NOT tell you the parts that suck. Yes, it's dumb to have an HKS SSQV on a stock ECU Evo using the stock MAF. He's trying to help you - if you don't like it, then it's your prerogative to have a messed up Evo.

2) No, pistons and rods make no sense. That's not a better use of money than cams - that's a ridiculous thing to say.

3) Al didn't say his cams were bad - he said they apparently aren't working well in conjunction with the cat.

Al does not sugarcoat things and does not hold people's hands. He truly cares about people's Evos running well and having the proper setup, but he doesn't hold back when that setup is not proper. In Antisocial's case, he DID have a great setup from what I can see, but for some reason, the cams were not working with the HFC.

·
Registered
13 Posts
dude im not saying al is a bad guy but why sell the man cams that dont make power????my friend has a 05 evo o2 housing meth kit exedy twin disk and hks 272 tune by top level 423hp and 412tq running 11.03,why not tell the man you want power get this n this then tune the car why spend 850 bucks???for him to tell you that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts