Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i havent went to the dealership yet to get the car they have an 05evo mr and the new 06mr.I was wondering wich one to get the new 06mr ones i have heard that you cant just go home and wrench on em.For example i heard the 06's will actually cut down air flow with an exhaust and no ecu reflash is this true. IF so can i just jump right to tuning the 05mr because i am a dsm tuner and my 4g63 has no problem accepting help to breathe all i needed was a 255lph fuel pump a regulator and a super afc and bam i was ready for light tuning exh intake etc.. Because i like the simplicity of my 95gst i dont want to worry about a reflash just to have an exhaust if anyone has advice and wether the myths are true or not on the 06mr are true when it comes to tuning please let me know cause there are only two 05mr's left at the lot:dsm:

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Get the 06 if you can. It comes with a larger and more efficient compressor housing along with the MIVEC head. I've tuned one with an AFC and basic bolt ons and it's fast as fu(k. There's no need for an AFPR either to run a 255 pump. You can wrench on 'em and the myths your hearing are not true.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Um, well, the problem is you have taken what you heard too far. No, larry, what he's referring to is not a myth, and yes it is true. The IX ECU is far more complicated than the previous VIII ECUs, so it has the ability to detune itself when detecting additional airflow over stock. For instance, many people have added just an exhaust, but they gained little-to-no power, because the ECU pulled back boost. The easy remedy for that is to get an MBC to maintain the boost where you want it and/or to get a flash.

Needaevo, why are you afraid of a flash? You'll be hurting yourself if you get any year Evo and don't use a flash. They are very inexpensive and are the best possible tuning tool for a car using the stock MAF and ECU. A IX is way better than an VIII, so you shouldn't let this be a factor in your decision process. All you need is a TBE/MBC/Flash, and that's good enough for 60-70whp over stock. No intake or fuel pump needed...

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you decide on the dynoflash they recommend that you include a Walbro 255 fuel pump be purchased because of overheating issues with the stock unit.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
One thing you did not mention is the price difference between the 05 and 06 MR's you are looking at. Stock for stock the 06 wins hands down.... but if the price difference is $5000 you can buy a hell of a lot of performance parts for the 05 with that left over money.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Warrtalon said:
... many people have added just an exhaust, but they gained little-to-no power, because the ECU pulled back boost. The easy remedy for that is to get an MBC to maintain the boost where you want it...
That sucks. Well, like you said get the MBC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright this info is very good because as warrtalon stated the airflow being cut back is the myth i was reffering to. I heard horror stories about the new ecu rejecting tuning. Also im not afraid of a flash its just that my 4g63t version is 95 and i have no need for a reflash so its just new and uncharted territory for me. Also i was having doubts of evo possibilities because my freind andy's brother ran an 11.2 in his 96gsx on three cylinders true story i was there. And now dsm tuning parts research has dropped drasticaly so im going to have to go with the big brother version and get the evo. Thanks for all the help and one last thing does anyone know if the guy ludacris on here is also the same dsmtuner?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
There are no horror stories. The ECU does not reject tuning. That stuff is ridiculous and unfounded. In fact, the IX ECU is incredible. It's far more capable than the VIII ECU.

Flashes are safe, cheap, and extremely effective. Do not let your inexperience hold you back. The vast majority of Evos have flashes as their tuning device.

Yes, Ludachris owns and runs all these sites. Evotuners is just a sister site to DSMtuners.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts